Hacking UPDATING Outdated Games on 4.1.0

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you did do this previously where youyr dns settings set to manual to block updates?

Did you manually make sure any traces of an update we're deleted in maintanince mode?
The DNS stuff won't block updates that come locally, they'll only block stuff that comes from the official online update URL

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kirby update requires 5.0.0. When using this method if the receiving system is too low to use the update the sending console also sends a system update with its firmware. I found that out last week when I tested this method. Hence why I didn't create a thread for it because it's a bit dangerous.
yeah it's a bad idea as games get more and more updates it will work on fewer and fewer games and that's only if nintendo doesn't stop it from working right away.

Leonidas87

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's getting late and still I've not Eaton all day.

I need to take a brake.

Busy day tomorrow I'll be back as soon as I can.

I'm exhausted and it's been a LONG day.

All the best everyone.

Can't edit ok on my cell phone, I'll update some things in the original post at some point also.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a sure fire way to piss people off when they end up with 2 Switchs on non exploitable FW.

I'd stick well clear of this before it's been thoroughly tested tbh.

Especially with 5.x.x games that will be coming up with the FW updates on the carts. Asking for trouble.
I already did thoroughly test this a week ago, and there is a reason why I didn't make a thread about it. It's an easy way to accidentally update to a non exploitable fw and I would avoid at all costs. Most game updates aren't a necessity to play the game.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what's gonna happen when shared a update that requires a higher firmware version on a lower firmware?
probably pop out some sort of updating notification? and wont be able to launch the game?

Leonidas87

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Still may be a loophole for other possabilies besides just sending game updates. Could help with future switch hacks on newer software. Maybe make things easier. There's many ways to look at it.

Have a good night everyone.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's gonna happen when share a update that requires a higher firmware version on a lower firmware?
probably pop out some sort of updating notification?
No, it just pushes the firmware from the 5.x+ system over to the receiving system. It's why I advise against this and never made a thread about it after I throughly tested it last week and discovered that

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's gonna happen when shared a update that requires a higher firmware version on a lower firmware?
probably pop out some sort of updating notification? and wont be able to launch the game?
Its already happened with Kirby, and people in this thread have already accidentally updated to 5.0.0

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, if you live in the US. Just go to Gamestop, buy a used Switch, if you get a good firmware, swap the tablets. Return the Switch with your 5.0.0 tablet, and keep the good firmware tablet. You get your money back at the end, so it doesn't really cost anything, but your time. :P

Reactions: Quantumcat

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you absolutely have to do this for any reason, then here's what to look for and basic info to avoid accidental system update.

General info:
The system update seems to be the first thing sent before the game update.
It will only send a system update if the game update requires a newer firmware.
It will send an update even with both systems completely offline during the transfer.
Blocking updates with the receiving switch will not prevent system updates being sent with this method.
The 5.x+ switch will send over its own firmware, even if it isn't the latest firmware update available.

What to look for:
Be on full alert when you do this. If at any point you see the word "system" show up in the transfer status text, IMMEDIATELY cancel the transfer. You can cancel it before sending is complete and avoid an accidental system update.

But I can't stress this enough, I HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST DOING THIS PROCESS AT ALL, unless you absolutely need the update for some reason.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Huh. Does migration's local update sharing not validate both consoles are on the same version? That's super dumb.

Probably legitimate, good for you OP.

Don't really think it's useful given the updated console requirement, but meh. Neat.

The official guide does state that "ensure your console has the latest system update". My guess is that the NBA2k17 simply doesn't need anything beyond 4.1.0 to play. If they force the users to update the fw as well, it might just be too pushing and some features on the updated fw might need to sync with Nintendo account to complete or something at some point, that could result in unusable Switch and defeat the local version match purpose (to play as soon as possible without the Internet). So I think the decision is logical and reasonable. And I doubt it will let you update to a software version that requires a higher fw version w/o a fw update.

But as it requires post 4.0.0 fw, it's a hard sell for most people for homebrew, so kinda useless as most people mentioned.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. Does migration's local update sharing not validate both consoles are on the same version? That's super dumb.

Probably legitimate, good for you OP.

Don't really think it's useful given the updated console requirement, but meh. Neat.
I think Nintendo designed it this way. It will send over a firmware update too if the software update requires a firmware newer than the receiving system. Kirby update using this method from a 5.0.0 switch will update a 4.1.0 switch to 5.0.0 (or whatever firmware the sending system is on)

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Welp, if you live in the US. Just go to Gamestop, buy a used Switch, if you get a good firmware, swap the tablets. Return the Switch with your 5.0.0 tablet, and keep the good firmware tablet. You get your money back at the end, so it doesn't really cost anything, but your time. :P

From where I live, the warranty records the serial number of the machine. And by doing so above, it's consider fraud and apparently traceable as they got your credit card and on the CCTV. I highly recommend against it.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From where I live, the warranty records the serial number of the machine. And by doing so above, it's consider fraud and apparently traceable as they got your credit card and on the CCTV. I highly recommend against it.
Gamestop employees tend to not give a fuck, and will probably just try and turn it on, and see if it powers on. lol

Reactions: Quantumcat

Spazturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh so the method was just local update sharing? People did say that worked on Reddit when the update came out. But finding somebody with another Switch who has the game and update is inconvenient and if you are buying another Switch then you might as well play the updated games on the updated console and keep the 4.1.0 Switch in a box for Homebrew.

Kazalber

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Doesn't work the same way on physical copies, does it?
I'm on 4.1 and got a Kirby cartridge. Have a friend on 5.0.1
The update stores somewhere on the system and not on the cartridge, am I correct?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't work the same way on physical copies, does it?
I'm on 4.1 and got a Kirby cartridge. Have a friend on 5.0.1
The update stores somewhere on the system and not on the cartridge, am I correct?
It works the same for both carts and digital. Except for carts with updates built in (which I haven't encountered yet) the updates install to SD/nand depending on if you have an SD installed. Most carts dont seem to have game updates installed on them either.
But physical and digital games update sharing works pretty much the same, though as stated before you risk receiving a system update if the game update being sent requires a newer firmware than the system has.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol