Homebrew Suggestion "Update required/available" notification when launching games

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*For people who's systems say they need to update either their firmware or software and don't know what to do or how to fix this.

This happens for a few reasons.

The first most common reason is when you have DATA that requires a certain firmware or software version.
This includes updates and save data. (DLC will just not show up. You will get a message that some content installed cannot be used.)
To remove the notification, remove your internet so it won't detect there is an update and remove the specific stated content.

If it says "Available" you have an option to "Start anyway". Sometimes this can lead it to say it is required or it will not start. The required possible messages are either a system or software (Game) update.

If you have save data that requires a higher software version, this message (Software Update) WILL appear and stop you from even running the game to avoid incompatibility. To remove the message from appearing are two ways:
Delete your save data. This will indeed remove all of your progress.
Update your software so the game could be compatible with the save data.

If you have a game that requires a certain firmware version, there is no way around this without updating or removing the check to update. As of 9/12/18 (Today), as far I know, running software that requires firmware version 6.2.0 or UP can NOT be used on anything lower even with custom firmware without special installation.
Sometimes if a game is CONFIRMED to work on a certain firmware you have and it is trying to force you to update to use it then this must mean you have data, whether it is update data that requires a higher firmware or save data, that requires a certain firmware and not the actual software itself. As stated above, deleting this extra data will fix the problem.

CHECK your update notes BEFORE UPDATING YOUR SOFTWARE. Every game you own that you decide to update, unless you do not care about you save data you made with it, you now need to STAY UPDATED to even run the game. This is a huge waste of reservation space when there aren't any REAL changes, which a lot of times their aren't. If their are just text changes or simply no new content or bug fixes that were truly crucial, it is best you stay without any updates until it is more necessary. This is ESPECIALLY relevant for banned custom firmware users as updating a game is not necessarily easy. Whenever you update, now not only do you need to lug around and have the game itself to play it, you also need every single piece of data just to run your save data, DLC not included. Unless necessary, stay vanilla until an update fixed a crucial issue or adds content you care about because you'll be lugging it around trying to keep your update data intact as well as the game.

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes. Meant to put no prefix but accidentally put it in suggestions... Well I guess at the very end their is a suggestion... :/

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
And what to do if the game says game update available but you can start it anyway?
I mean, is there any way to eliminate these notification without updating the game?

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Useless thread, not only is it a useless thread but its also posted in the wrong place. This isn't emulation, this isn't homebrew, this isn't a software project.

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what to do if the game says game update available but you can start it anyway?
I mean, is there any way to eliminate these notification without updating the game?

Again, if it says an update is available then you can disable the internet and perhaps restart your Switch? I believe update "notification" it downloaded to your switch so even when you are offline it already gathered the necessary data to know their is an update. If this is true I am unsure how to do that but certain homebrew can disable the notification.

Useless thread, not only is it a useless thread but its also posted in the wrong place. This isn't emulation, this isn't homebrew, this isn't a software project.

This was posted here because originally it was made specifically for custom firmware users since those are the only people that actually care about updates. If you are not with custom firmware, you have no reason to care of whether you are updated or not and simply update to the newest version of a game. When this post was finished I then formatted it to be a bit more open to all users but mainly focused on custom firmware.
Aside from that, how many "Useless" threads I see asking about something so simple when it comes to updates is far more useless than a thread giving the answers to a repeated bunch of questions... Yet I do not see you saying this on all of THOSE threads.

But at the same time neither am I looking for your comment on those threads.

Last edited by Grmmish,

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, if it says an update is available then you can disable the internet and perhaps restart your Switch? I believe update "notification" it downloaded to your switch so even when you are offline it already gathered the necessary data to know their is an update. If this is true I am unsure how to do that but certain homebrew can disable the notification.

This was posted here because originally it was made specifically for custom firmware users since those are the only people that actually care about updates. If you are not with custom firmware, you have no reason to care of whether you are updated or not and simply update to the newest version of a game. When this post was finished I then formatted it to be a bit more open to all users but mainly focused on custom firmware.
Aside from that, how many "Useless" threads I see asking about something so simple when it comes to updates is far more useless than a thread giving the answers to a repeated bunch of questions... Yet I do not see you saying this on all of THOSE threads.

But at the same time neither am I looking for your comment on those threads.

Useless. You act like this shit hasn't been discussed on here before. Learn to use the search feature noob. Not to mention you have no idea what you are talking about. Do a search and you'll see just how wrong you are.

Last edited by Techjunky90,

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it was discussed. Far too many times. Every once in awhile a new set of answers will indeed help especially being at the top of the page.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: