Hacking UPDATE 4.0.0 RELEASED

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, Its getting closer and closer to Super Mario Odyssey... Looks like I might as well update at this point. Im already on 3.0.1 and I didnt look back then either. Same reason why I updated my new ps4 to 5.0, Id rather play on the console I bought and play online with friends than wait for a exploit...

Last edited by Lumince,

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure there's going to be some point in the future that the Switch will be fully exploited to where you can do much more than imagined, install Android, run every emulator possible, play any Switch game, but man, is it worth it? Is it worth the amount of enjoyment you'd get out of playing what could possibly be one of the best Mario games in existence? This is much harder to resist being how awesome Zelda turned out to be. I don't know about you guys but I was playing that like every single day for hours and hours and it's rare of me to do that.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't want to go through 6 pages of children crying, asking if they should update?

Anything useful in this thread? I'll be updating anyway, just wanted to know if anything is worth reading. I'm guessing not.

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't want to go through 6 pages of children crying, asking if they should update?

Anything useful in this thread? I'll be updating anyway, just wanted to know if anything is worth reading. I'm guessing not.
Update, if you're past 3.0.0 all the big targets have been fixed, if you're lucky maybe something new will pop up on one of the new features in 4.0

Nekomaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
-90% of the titles are games that have superior versions, on better platforms, for less money.
First things first, maybe not the best topic to discuss it but anyway:
7 months after launch it ain't a bad result. I suppose for more than 90% of the users it's not their only gaming system.

-It has basically no value added features.
I can play a large game like Disgaea 5 on my way to work, in my lunch brakes and at home on a larger screen. Helps me beat games faster and saves me time.

I like the motion controls with Joycons much better than with Wiilots. Very intuitive in Arms, Splatoon 2, BoTW.

-It's more expensive (without even including all the extra shit you need to buy) than hardware that is vastly superior.
Yes, because it uses proprietary cartridges. Still you wouldn't have portability without them. I get my carts used from German eBay and they drop very quickly from EUR 60 to 35-40 which is an acceptable price for a new large game for me.

-Still no way to backup or copy your save data. Just migration.
Yes, wait for next gen for that... Note how much later then the competitors Ninty introduced CD drives in their consoles and released the region lock. We can't say how much the sales were affected by that.

-It's portability is touted but it has the shittiest WiFi known to man.
-Joy-cons are the most unergonomic controller I've ever used.
-Doesn't come with a regular controller. ($70 extra)
I agree here. To lack of ergonomy - partially... The slide-ons help often. I think at least different size J-C grips should've been offered in the console bundles. Also every grip should have a USB-C charging input.

-Doesn't come with sufficient storage. The only way to increase storage is to buy MicroSD cards which are expensive relative to hard drives.
Because portability. Would you prefer proprietary Nintendo Memory Sticks like in the old Vitas? Or no SD, just different size eMMCs?

-Doesn't come with glass on the display. Gotta supply your own.
Not if you carry it in a case... Also look up how much e.g. Gorilla Glass costs...

-Doesn't come with an ethernet port. Gotta supply your own.
I think it would make Switch itself too bulky and putting it in the dock seems a bit tricky...

-No integrated online service.
True.

-Slooooooooow storage. (game cards and internal storage are even slower than MicroSD)
Internal storage is on average 5s and Micro SD 2s faster than carts. Not bad for a proprietary data storage. Consider how much slower BluRay is too... And that you would have to install disc content. Source: Eurogamer.net BoTW tests.

-Weak as balls. Only a small step up from the Wii U. It's much weaker than hardware that launched four years ago which itself was thought to be too weak for the time.
Yes, I think Nintendo lost many opportunities (and was simply stingy) by going for Tegra X1 in spite of X2. Still you have companies like Bethesda that optimizes Wolfenstein II for the Switch... Also, console market isn't necessarily about power. It's about exclusives. For instance Xbox One X avoids the RAM shortage of PS4 Pro (which is actually avoided by proper extrapolation, game optimization and patches) but I think it will not beat PS 4. Because catalogue.

-For something that is supposed to work as a portable it's not very portable.
Because it's a hybrid. It has to offer both modes in parallel. You can see it when using Remote Play from PS4 on the Vita - the colors are beautiful on OLED but text boxes are often too small (e.g. Persona 5). 6.2 Switch screen provides more details (compare Disgaea 3-4 on the Vita with 5 on the Switch).

There are some good things though:
-Plays first and second party Nintendo games
-Portable enough to take to the toilet.
You ridiculed it but these are actually system selling points... Add nostalgia as the third pillar and you have a market maker. Of course, a lot of these features should've been implemented back in the Wii U but Ninty learned it the hard way. The gaming market is not based on "hardcores" who count fps and aim for VR and 8K. It's based on casual gamers who need strong IPs and easy products that provide fun gameplay. Switch does that and is an innovative product so it sells and will keep selling for a few more years.

Last edited by Nekomaru,

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Typical village idiot questions tbh. People don't bother to read and keep in the loop with things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that hacks will never come to 3.0.1 or 3.0.2, I'm just saying that if they do, it won't be in a timeframe to satisfy these people. And it's likely that those two firmwares will be like the in between FW on 3DS that you have to update to a higher version to hack. There's going to be literally nobody on 3.0.2 why would anyone be working on it? A hack maybe discovered later that can be ported back to it, but its pretty unlikely that 3.0.1 is gonna be the next big thing.

I am predicting a Vita-like situation with Switch more so after reading this Reddit post by u/SciresM so people may wanna take a look at the history of hacking the Vita to decide whether or not they wanna wait on a low FW. Myself once I read that post I decided I'm going to buy a new Mario Odyssey bundle to play, and put this one (3.0.0) on my work desk to experiment with. And those people who are waiting SOLELY for piracy, you should probably read the reddit post. All in all, smells like the Vita to me.

The preceding is my opinion based on lots of reading and experience with other hacking scenes. Take it for what it is

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me neither, as 3.0x is quite possible, yet won't be anytime soon from what they say.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a PS4 1.76 situation aswell. It's cool that backups can be run, yet for what its currently worth (not so user friendly to run copies) and having a fw that is 3 years out dated and no way of running new games, it's pretty pointless imo.

The switch may have some more major fw improvements worth updating for and more AAA titles to play. If no userland/workable kernel exploit for those wanting copies is released by then, being on 3.00 or below will be questionable.

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Me neither, as 3.0x is quite possible, yet won't be anytime soon from what they say.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a PS4 1.76 situation aswell. It's cool that backups can be run, yet for what its currently worth (not so user friendly to run copies) and having a fw that is 3 years out dated and no way of running new games, it's pretty pointless imo.

The switch may have some more major fw improvements worth updating for and more AAA titles to play. If no userland/workable kernel exploit for those wanting copies is released by then, being on 3.00 or below will be questionable.

PS4 was so popular that 3 years in lots of games go on sale dirt cheap and there's piles of used games to buy (I know how everyone feels about used games and piracy, I still think being used benefits the industry as a whole, if not Dev's directly). The one cool thing to me is getting Linux on PS4, that's something I would like to muck around with. But Linux is Linux pretty much and that would only be entertaining so long. Hey you know if they can run steam with hardware acceleration? That would be the ultimate kick in the balls to Sony, breaking PS4 security to buy games through a different store on their console.

Honestly, I don't care about piracy on the Switch (I'm not going to pretend I don't pirate, sure I do) what I'm more concerned bout is will homebrew ever be able to enable us to play new games on our hacked 3.0.0. If not then homebrew isn't worth it for me. I have all kinds of hacked shit to use homebrew and emulators on. I don't have anything that plays Super Mario Odyssey at the Laundromat.

HotShotAzn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS4 was so popular that 3 years in lots of games go on sale dirt cheap and there's piles of used games to buy (I know how everyone feels about used games and piracy, I still think being used benefits the industry as a whole, if not Dev's directly). The one cool thing to me is getting Linux on PS4, that's something I would like to muck around with. But Linux is Linux pretty much and that would only be entertaining so long. Hey you know if they can run steam with hardware acceleration? That would be the ultimate kick in the balls to Sony, breaking PS4 security to buy games through a different store on their console.

Honestly, I don't care about piracy on the Switch (I'm not going to pretend I don't pirate, sure I do) what I'm more concerned bout is will homebrew ever be able to enable us to play new games on our hacked 3.0.0. If not then homebrew isn't worth it for me. I have all kinds of hacked shit to use homebrew and emulators on. I don't have anything that plays Super Mario Odyssey at the Laundromat.

x100 Only games I've bought on launch (or close to) for PS4 were FPS for the online. Otherwise, like you stated, it was cheap to acquire a game backlog for cheap if you're willing to wait.

I cannot think of a single thing I would want homebrew on the Switch for. I mean, if someone came out with a way to play FO3 on it, then yeah, I'd be impressed.

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Amen to that, exactly!! Ultimately people in the future will be faced with a choice to play games on the cheap; buy the 3 year old Mario Odyssey for $10 or download the rom for free. In the end you'll still be waiting 3 years for either to happen. It's too bad we're living in the NOW and in the end the best choice ends up being "play the most entertaining game" instead of "wait on faith"

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mmmm this update is interesting...
For the wrong reasons.

30 seconds of recorded footage sure is lackluster, but at least a step in the right direction, hope that could be expanded down the line.

However, the real interesting thing is the group play thingy.
They are REALLY trying to force every system into being updated, and that is a clear example of their attempt at doing so.

Doesn't matter for me though, I will not even connect my Switch to the internet anytime soon :lol:

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mmmm this update is interesting...
For the wrong reasons.

30 seconds of recorded footage sure is lackluster, but at least a step in the right direction, hope that could be expanded down the line.

However, the real interesting thing is the group play thingy.
They are REALLY trying to force every system into being updated, and that is a clear example of their attempt at doing so.

Doesn't matter for me though, I will not even connect my Switch to the internet anytime soon :lol:
Amen brother :) Stay strong..

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit late to reply, but the GDP Win 2 is a great alternative to the switch. It's more powerful, more portable and runs windows.

Runs GTA5 at a steady 30 fps with no problem, and your esport games such as league, dota and CSGO well above 60fps
CPU: Intel Core M3 7y30
RAM: 4 GB / 8 GB
Storage: 128 GB SSD
~$450-500

Not a fan of Chinese branded tablets/computers. Sorry.

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No crying until the end :lol:
We gotta stay strong!

I give you guys and anyone who'll still wait MAJOR props!! Mario Odyssey as overhyped as it's becoming is the ultimate breaking point. If it's anything as good as BOTW was then people will drop like flies left and right. I hope for you and anyone else who decides to wait it out get a hacking heaven waiting for you on the other side, I wholeheartedly mean that too.

Frysenberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I give you guys and anyone who'll still wait MAJOR props!! Mario Odyssey as overhyped as it's becoming is the ultimate breaking point. If it's anything as good as BOTW was then people will drop like flies left and right. I hope for you and anyone else who decides to wait it out get a hacking heaven waiting for you on the other side, I wholeheartedly mean that too.

This is exactly why some of us have two Switches.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks!
It for sure does require a lot of will power to hold it off after Odyssey's release for sure.
But well see how it all goes :)

Right now I have Odyssey, Doom and RE Revelations 2 on my to-buy list, hopefully one of the three comes with 3.0.0 at least xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: luke try not to say "for instance" or "etc." in a post challenge, level impossible