Unpopular Opinions 2.0

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega was wrong to not implement either a game save nor password system in standalone "Sonic & Knuckles".
Also, Session>>Signal>Telegram>>IRC>Discord>>Everything Else>Skype

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My list of handheld machines for emulation and homebrew stuff
FGPA Everdrive>Steam Deck>>Asus Rog Ally>Aya Neo pro>KT-R1>>Retroid Pocket 3>>Anbernic RG552>Ayn Loki>Odroid>Recalbox>>>Raspberry Pi>>Homebrewed and CFW-injected PS Vita>Miyoo Mini +>Caanoo>>Aya Neo regular>>Ayn Odin>Powkiddy X28>>Miyoo Mini>Powkiddy A12>Anbernic RG505>>Retroid Pocket 2/2+>>Anbernic 353X>Hacked and CFW injected 3DS>Anbernic 351p>>Analouge Pocket>>Game Park 32>>Anbernic 353p>Retroid pocket 1>Anbernic RG35XX>>Powkiddy RK2023>CFW-injected PSP>Powkiddy v90>>Minisforum>>Powkiddy v80>Anbernic 405m>Evercade>Coolboy rs-97+>Pirate multicart>BittBoy>>>MiSTER>>Retroid Flip>Poly Mega>Powkiddy a66>>Coolboy rs-97

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My list of handheld machines for emulation and homebrew stuff
FGPA Everdrive>Steam Deck>>Asus Rog Ally>Aya Neo pro>KT-R1>>Retroid Pocket 3>>Anbernic RG552>Ayn Loki>Odroid>Recalbox>>>Raspberry Pi>>Homebrewed and CFW-injected PS Vita>Miyoo Mini +>Caanoo>>Aya Neo regular>>Ayn Odin>Powkiddy X28>>Miyoo Mini>Powkiddy A12>Anbernic RG505>>Retroid Pocket 2/2+>>Anbernic 353X>Hacked and CFW injected 3DS>Anbernic 351p>>Analouge Pocket>>Game Park 32>>Anbernic 353p>Retroid pocket 1>Anbernic RG35XX>>Powkiddy RK2023>CFW-injected PSP>Powkiddy v90>>Minisforum>>Powkiddy v80>Anbernic 405m>Evercade>Coolboy rs-97+>Pirate multicart>BittBoy>>>MiSTER>>Retroid Flip>Poly Mega>Powkiddy a66>>Coolboy rs-97
Have you actually used all those?

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you actually used all those?
I have a PS Vita 2000 that I intend to install Homebrew on by the end of this year, as well as having gone through about several pirate multicarts (most of them on GBA, and one for the Sega Genesis, the latter of which still works). I also hope to get either a Miyo Mini + or Retroid Pocket 3, and perhaps also, by winter season, an Anbernic RG 505, Powkiddy v80, Aya Neo Pro, Powkiddy X28, Powkiddy v90, or a middle type Steam Deck aka the model with 256 GB of internal memory in its NVME SSD.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think Gbatemp has become boring.. It's the same topics every time i look on recent contents
You don't have to be there all the time y'know.

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unreal Gold, Unreal Tournament '99, Unreal Tournament 2004, Prey 2006, Titanfall 1, Duke Nukem 1, Duke Nukem 2, Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition, and Gunman Chronicles should be brought to Steam, Gamejolt, Beamdog, and GOG, especially if they were once there and are now delisted.

Steam and Gamejolt should allow all games that aren't MMORPGs nor Multiplayer-focused shooters to be owned beyond the Digital License level, and bans from the forums, shouldn't risk having denied access to games; only to the forums and workshop. a ban which completely blocks you from all of Steam, should only apply if you do something truly illegal towards Steam, or Gamejolt.

Sonic Xtreme should have been an at least predominantly 2D Saturn game (with most of the 3D being for backgrounds). If Capcom was able to make Megaman 8, and Megaman X4 for both the PS1 and Saturn as 2D 5th gen games and avoid disaster, then so could have Sega.

Rare and 343 studios should be shut down.

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aldaris did nothing wrong in Starcraft: Brood War. Kerrigan should have been killed off by the end of Brood War.
Halo should have been put to rest after either "Halo:Reach" or Halo Wars.

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although XB2 is by far the weakest mainline Xenoblade game, It's still my favorite.

I am willing to be killed like
Vandham
for my opinion.
oh, we both know why it's your favorite
i simp for pyra and mythra sometimes too

And as for my own unpopular opinion, Wario is the best Mario character.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Although XB2 is by far the weakest mainline Xenoblade game, It's still my favorite.

I am willing to be killed like
Vandham
for my opinion.
"Weakest"? How so?

Story-wise? Sure, it may not be as strong as Xenoblade 1: Definitive, but it's certainly a hell of a lot better than XC3 when it comes to story; the newer game just feels too short, narratively. Oh, and XC3's particular 'sad' scene after the party is jailed doesn't work nearly as well as XC2's; for one thing, 3's takes place solely in cutscenes that run way too long, and since it involves the execution of the entire party it's obviously not gonna happen or last. 2, meanwhile, has Torna overpower your party and take Pyra/Mythra whilst you're utterly helpless, and when gameplay resumes the Aegis is indeed missing, forcing the player to experience Rex's severe drop in power and frustration. The cutscenes are also spread out more, and interspersed with gameplay, instead of being one huge chunk.

XC2 also doesn't have the ridiculously ill-fitting Colony Mu, so it wins by default. Oh, and Zeke von Genbu is by far the best human character in XC2, and no-one in 3 comes close to his majesty, which is a major disappointment.
And Torna is far more fleshed-out and memorable than the Moebius, especially since the Moebius all wear essentially the same armour (just with different headpieces) and most are fought in optional and narrative-independent Hero Quests. Moebius sucks compared to Torna, XC2's other villain, or any of Xenoblade: Definitive's array of villains.

Gameplay-wise? XC2 is leagues ahead of XC3. Better chain attack mechanics, better combat mechanics, the party is way more customisable, questing is far more satisfying, etc. Also, frickin' Custom and "Bringer of Chaos" difficulties, which XC3 never got.

In terms of combat, three Drivers can be out at a time, and each Driver can have up to three Blades, so there's 9 different Blades that can be used in combat (10, since Pyra and Mythra share the same slot and can be switched at will). The main goal in combat is to use Blade Specials to deal a lot of damage, and to create elemental orbs around the foe; additionally, you can Break -> Topple -> Launch -> Smash the foe, otherwise known as use Driver Combos on the foe, to not only temporarily incapacitate them and make them more vulnerable to attacks (during the Topple and Launch parts), but they'll also drop healing potions when Toppled and money + items when Smashed. Also, being Smashed deals heavy damage too.

if you use a Driver Combo in the middle of a Blade Combo, it's known as a Fusion Combo, and restores some of the BC timer.
Once a few elemental orbs are in place around the foe, a chain attack can be initiated, where all three Drivers are guaranteed to participate and the goal is to break the orbs; the eight elements are mirrored as so: Fire/Water, Electric/Earth, Ice/Wind, Light/Dark. If you use the opposing element, it's guaranteed to hit that orb (instead of selecting a random orb) and deal two hits out of the three needed to break an orb. If an orb is broken, another chain attack round is given to the player, and the damage multiplier increases; each round also increases the Blade Special level. If enough orbs are broken in one chain attack, all remaining orbs are automatically broken (significantly increasing the multiplier) and one random character uses their Lv. 4 Blade Special with their currently-active Blade.

I find the above way more engaging than 3's combat, as there's no "Blade Specials" anymore to focus on, only the "Driver Special" part, which is way more bland on its own. Sure, 3 does introduce the ability to switch the active character, which 2 really could've used, but in 3 I rarely found myself switching characters as there's no real point compared to 2 - maybe to switch to a Healer to heal or revive, but the AI does a decent job on its own, and otherwise it's just wailing away on the foe.
Another thing that brings down XC3's combat is that timed Arts take way too long to recharge, compared to the Arts recharged by auto-attacks, which also then delays the possibility of using both at once.

Oh, and XC3's chain attacks are far more random, unreliable, and less interesting - you can't control which three character 'orders' will appear, not every order can be undertaken, and when characters use their Arts they become unavailable for future orders unless they're included in the two or three (depending on the arbitrary percentage) chosen to be recovered after each order. Not only that, but the Ouroboros chosen at the end is also random, and the chain attack music sucks and interrupts whatever battle or boss theme may have been playing. It's just awful all around, XC3's chain attacks.

Another aspect I dislike, is that all six Ouroboros use classes the exact same way, with the same animations and arts - when XC2's party showcased far more uniqueness and individuality in how they each used the same Blade weapon. Nia's on the shorter and lithe side, so she has more difficulty swinging around a Greataxe than the muscly and taller Zeke; he also tends to show off more when using Chroma Katanas and Megalances, whereas Rex doesn't. Due to these differences, they all have unique animations and unique Arts, which helps make them feel more distinct as characters in gameplay.

As for customisability - XC2 allows you to level up Arts at will, up to Lv. 5, using WP (awarded from combat), and to change each Driver's accessories and Pouch items, alongside their Blades' Core Chips and Aux Cores, and there's a ton of different accessories, Pouch items, Core Chips, and Aux Cores to choose from, each with a variety of effects.
XC3 only has Accessories and Gems, but there's only 20 Gems instead of the hundreds of Aux Cores, and about half of them suck. Art levelling is now directly tied to class level, so that freedom is removed, and the Pouch system is also gone, as are Core Chips. It's really only Accessories and Master Arts/Specials that can be customised freely, which is a significant downgrade.

• Love
Reactions: AngryCinnabon

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
"Weakest"? How so?

Story-wise? Sure, it may not be as strong as Xenoblade 1: Definitive, but it's certainly a hell of a lot better than XC3 when it comes to story; the newer game just feels too short, narratively. Oh, and XC3's particular 'sad' scene after the party is jailed doesn't work nearly as well as XC2's; for one thing, 3's takes place solely in cutscenes that run way too long, and since it involves the execution of the entire party it's obviously not gonna happen or last. 2, meanwhile, has Torna overpower your party and take Pyra/Mythra whilst you're utterly helpless, and when gameplay resumes the Aegis is indeed missing, forcing the player to experience Rex's severe drop in power and frustration. The cutscenes are also spread out more, and interspersed with gameplay, instead of being one huge chunk.

XC2 also doesn't have the ridiculously ill-fitting Colony Mu, so it wins by default. Oh, and Zeke von Genbu is by far the best human character in XC2, and no-one in 3 comes close to his majesty, which is a major disappointment.
And Torna is far more fleshed-out and memorable than the Moebius, especially since the Moebius all wear essentially the same armour (just with different headpieces) and most are fought in optional and narrative-independent Hero Quests. Moebius sucks compared to Torna, XC2's other villain, or any of Xenoblade: Definitive's array of villains.

Gameplay-wise? XC2 is leagues ahead of XC3. Better chain attack mechanics, better combat mechanics, the party is way more customisable, questing is far more satisfying, etc. Also, frickin' Custom and "Bringer of Chaos" difficulties, which XC3 never got.

In terms of combat, three Drivers can be out at a time, and each Driver can have up to three Blades, so there's 9 different Blades that can be used in combat (10, since Pyra and Mythra share the same slot and can be switched at will). The main goal in combat is to use Blade Specials to deal a lot of damage, and to create elemental orbs around the foe; additionally, you can Break -> Topple -> Launch -> Smash the foe, otherwise known as use Driver Combos on the foe, to not only temporarily incapacitate them and make them more vulnerable to attacks (during the Topple and Launch parts), but they'll also drop healing potions when Toppled and money + items when Smashed. Also, being Smashed deals heavy damage too.

if you use a Driver Combo in the middle of a Blade Combo, it's known as a Fusion Combo, and restores some of the BC timer.
Once a few elemental orbs are in place around the foe, a chain attack can be initiated, where all three Drivers are guaranteed to participate and the goal is to break the orbs; the eight elements are mirrored as so: Fire/Water, Electric/Earth, Ice/Wind, Light/Dark. If you use the opposing element, it's guaranteed to hit that orb (instead of selecting a random orb) and deal two hits out of the three needed to break an orb. If an orb is broken, another chain attack round is given to the player, and the damage multiplier increases; each round also increases the Blade Special level. If enough orbs are broken in one chain attack, all remaining orbs are automatically broken (significantly increasing the multiplier) and one random character uses their Lv. 4 Blade Special with their currently-active Blade.

I find the above way more engaging than 3's combat, as there's no "Blade Specials" anymore to focus on, only the "Driver Special" part, which is way more bland on its own. Sure, 3 does introduce the ability to switch the active character, which 2 really could've used, but in 3 I rarely found myself switching characters as there's no real point compared to 2 - maybe to switch to a Healer to heal or revive, but the AI does a decent job on its own, and otherwise it's just wailing away on the foe.
Another thing that brings down XC3's combat is that timed Arts take way too long to recharge, compared to the Arts recharged by auto-attacks, which also then delays the possibility of using both at once.

Oh, and XC3's chain attacks are far more random, unreliable, and less interesting - you can't control which three character 'orders' will appear, not every order can be undertaken, and when characters use their Arts they become unavailable for future orders unless they're included in the two or three (depending on the arbitrary percentage) chosen to be recovered after each order. Not only that, but the Ouroboros chosen at the end is also random, and the chain attack music sucks and interrupts whatever battle or boss theme may have been playing. It's just awful all around, XC3's chain attacks.

Another aspect I dislike, is that all six Ouroboros use classes the exact same way, with the same animations and arts - when XC2's party showcased far more uniqueness and individuality in how they each used the same Blade weapon. Nia's on the shorter and lithe side, so she has more difficulty swinging around a Greataxe than the muscly and taller Zeke; he also tends to show off more when using Chroma Katanas and Megalances, whereas Rex doesn't. Due to these differences, they all have unique animations and unique Arts, which helps make them feel more distinct as characters in gameplay.

As for customisability - XC2 allows you to level up Arts at will, up to Lv. 5, using WP (awarded from combat), and to change each Driver's accessories and Pouch items, alongside their Blades' Core Chips and Aux Cores, and there's a ton of different accessories, Pouch items, Core Chips, and Aux Cores to choose from, each with a variety of effects.
XC3 only has Accessories and Gems, but there's only 20 Gems instead of the hundreds of Aux Cores, and about half of them suck. Art levelling is now directly tied to class level, so that freedom is removed, and the Pouch system is also gone, as are Core Chips. It's really only Accessories and Master Arts/Specials that can be customised freely, which is a significant downgrade.
Truth be told I was downplaying XBC2. I know some people really hate it and I didn't want to admit to loving it the way I actually do because I hate internet drama. But I agree with what you've said entirely.

• Love
Reactions: AkiraKurusu

sno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unpopular opinions?... Uhh.. "A tall man still cannot see what is behind him" -Shing Shua Shuay
pic unrelated.
Booty-Warrior.jpg

Last edited by sno,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Truth be told I was downplaying XBC2. I know some people really hate it and I didn't want to admit to loving it the way I actually do because I hate internet drama. But I agree with what you've said entirely.
I feel like most people got turned away from XC2 by the overly-sexy designs of the Blade girls (the Driver girls aren't, as Nia's in a jumpsuit and Morag's in sensible military attire), if not the stereotypical 'weirdly-dressed teen boy is bonded to hot girl' trope with Rex and Pyra, which is a huge shame. That's surface-level, and the story is still well worth experiencing.

If it wasn't that, then it'd be the lack of good tutorials, which...is fair, admittedly. XC3 did do better in this regard (albeit by making its extensive tutorials unskippable, which UGH WHY don't wanna replay the game now thanks a lot MonoSoft), as did XC1: Definitive, so I do accept this as a major flaw for XC2.
If one were to experiment, though (or watch Enel's excellent explanations, on YouTube), 2's combat is perhaps the deepest of the three Switch games by far, so it's a damn shame the lack of good tutorials drove some peeps away.

Personally, though, 2 is the most replayable game of the three; I already know the intricacies of combat and other gameplay, so the bad tutorials don't affect me and are quickly mashed through (unlike 3), and I love going back and seeing the characters and Titans again. 1 Definitive isn't as replayable, in my opinion, because it's a much longer game with quests that have branching outcomes and overall requires more time commitment than 2, I feel.

3, though...sigh. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever touch 3 again, due to how disappointing it feels to me. It regresses in terms of combat, customisation, ability to skip tutorials, narrative strength, exploration (each region in Aionios feels way too large, compared to 1: Definitive's regions or 2's Titans, and Erythia Sea is the WORST), and characterisation, alongside questing.
I didn't even mention how 3's enemies are generally extremely resistant to debuffs or status effects (like Bleed), which renders classes that rely on these, such as Stalker or Machine Assassin, near-worthless - why‽
So many baffling wrong decisions here, and while being able to see the merged and ruined worlds of 1 and 2 is great fanservice...I'd rather see them separate and whole, y'know? Also, Future Redeemed is great for more fanservice, but...in terms of shorter prequel games, Torna: TGC provides the same whilst having 2's better gameplay, so I'd rather play that instead as well.

• Love
Reactions: AngryCinnabon

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unpopular opinions?... Uhh.. "A tall man still cannot see what is behind him" -Shing Shua Shuay
pic unrelated.
Booty-Warrior.jpg
@GhostLatte is that you? You doing it the easy way or the hard way?

Being "transphobic" is not common sense; rather, it is an implication that you (the person) is being disrespectful to other identities not just transgender people, and thus you need to be re-educated to learn some basic manners.
*FIFY :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o