Understanding Canadian Politics (as of today)

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok there can be many things said of the current election results, but really I suspect you as do I only really care where the internet is concerned eh.

The Conservatives today have a majority, that is not wholely great. But Jack Layton is our man when it comes to internet issues, and his party the NDP became our official opposition which is definitely good.

Jack supports a lot of things any internet savvy person would support.

In other results, the Liberals got massively shit canned. No one will be talking about their parties needs for a long time.
The PQ (separatist dumbfucks) were just about completely eliminated having just 4 seats now. Get lost you fucking losers from the 70s.

The NDP made massive gains in eastern Canada (which is noteworthy).

So at the end of the day, if the Conservatives don't keep their promises (every politician makes promises), the next election could be utterly mindblowing (because the NDP have never been closer to being THE government of Canada).

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
52% of the voting population turned out, the popular vote for the Conservatives was 39%, yet some how they win the majority because it's purely based on the number of seats won, not by who is more popular and who had the best policy, if that were the case then Jack Layton would have probably won. There are so many things wrong with our electoral system and I think it should be mandatory for people over the age of 18 to vote. Hell, let us vote online if that's what it takes to get more people interested and get rid of the opt out box on our tax forms. If people don't want to vote yet they want to piss and moan about our government and gas prices and all that nonsense, then they can get the hell outta my country.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Jack Layton also made a whole ton of promises on more services 'for the family', but I still question on how he is going to get the money to even fund all these services. Obviously it means a tax hike, which is something I would never support. The NDP has a bunch of flaws like the lack of experience and making very bold claims that I doubt they'd actually be able to accomplish if they were in power. In the end, I doubt it'd help the fragile economy of Canada.

The Conservatives on the other hand, also have their own set of issues. In my personal opinion, Stephen Harper was the best candidate for prime minister, but handing him a majority government doesn't make me feel safe. I honestly don't think we need a private sector for healthcare, and his other policies on increasing military presence is also unnecessary in my opinion.

The Liberals can go rot for all I care, they don't deserve to be in power after all the taxes they've embellished us with. Still waiting for the HST referendum here in British Columbia, after the huge lies the Liberals pulled on us.

Bloc-Quebecois was just a waste of space and money for their entire existence. They don't have a national presence, meaning they'd never get enough power in parliament to pass a bill to gain independence for Quebec anyways. Glad to see them gone as well.

In regards to our electoral system, it's actually not that flawed as people may think. It's a better way to fairly represent a region's population. In my area, for example, the only realistic candidate was the one from the Conservative party. He was the only one that has that professional motive, in comparison to these other people that seemed to have popped up just to participate in the election representing the NDP and Liberals.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Overclock your PS3!!! lol