Hardware UK: is this a really good deal or am I missing something?

JuiceWarrior

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The eBay listing is for the older Switch model released at launch, with the worse battery life. The Switch listed on the retail site is of the newer revised model with the better battery life

Retal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The eBay listing is for the older Switch model released at launch, with the worse battery life. The Switch listed on the retail site is of the newer revised model with the better battery life
I thought it might be that, but how can you be sure? Isn't it more than 6 months since they stopped producing the older model? Also I read somewhere that Nintendo will swap older models out for a newer one for free in some cases. Is that still true?

JuiceWarrior

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought it might be that, but how can you be sure? Isn't it more than 6 months since they stopped producing the older model? Also I read somewhere that Nintendo will swap older models out for a newer one for free in some cases. Is that still true?

The biggest upfront difference between the two is the box design, with the newer revision having a red background compared to the older revision's grey. That's really the only difference you'll probably find on an online listing without getting into serial no. territory. The difference in price is also likely due to Nintendo no longer manufacturing the older model, so the lower price could be chalked up to Argos wanting to make room in their stock by getting rid of older items at a discount.

As for whether Nintendo would upgrade your model, reports on that seem skeptical, with the only ones I can find occurring in the US around the time the new model released. Even if those upgrades did occur, you're probably long after the grace period on these items. It would mostly have been to cover people who bought an old model right before a new model was announced, which doesn't apply here anyway.

Reactions: Retal

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Argos dump a lot of their returns, cosmetically damaged/box damaged in transit, refurb gear and old stock on ebay, and have done for years. Do be careful that you are getting from them though as there are spates of places impersonating Argos and other such retailers that use it too. Your warranty might also be lacking.

Retal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks JuiceWarrior. Apprecaite you. :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Argos dump a lot of their returns, cosmetically damaged/box damaged in transit, refurb gear and old stock on ebay, and have done for years. Do be careful that you are getting from them though as there are spates of places impersonating Argos and other such retailers that use it too. Your warranty might also be lacking.
  1. It's the real Argos.
  2. Condition is new.
  3. Comes with 12 month warranty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/q1474nWP0bI?si=5v445vycfskxD3V8