Status
Not open for further replies.

TX Presents SX OS v2.9 BETA - With Full v9.0 Firmware Support!

NEW UPDATE FIXES UPGRADE ISSUES!

PLEASE USE V2.9.1b INSTEAD OF 2.9

YOU CAN NOW USE CHOIDUJOURNX 1.0.2 WITH 2.9.1b

Good day, fans and believers! We hope you are all having a good weekend.

SXOS29.png

Team-Xecuter has done it again, they have updated their world-famous SX OS to now support the latest v9.0 Switch firmware from Nintendo.
Today, we bring you a much needed update of SX OS. Full compatibility with the latest Switch firmware 9.0! Sorry that we kept you waiting, we wanted to make sure all our unique features still properly work.

Additionally, we also introduced support for the "Horizon split format". This means that people who use FAT32 can have folders named 'game.xci' with split parts contained therein (named 00, 01, 02, etc.). Make sure the folder has the 'archive' bit set.

We know you are waiting for some other big features in SX OS, they are coming.. We wanted to get this compatibility update out first though.

So what are you waiting for? SX OS 2.9 beta is available for download on our website now! (and also through the builtin online updater part of SX OS.)
—< Team-Xecuter - Rocking the Switch in 2019 and beyond! >—

:arrow: Source: MaxConsole

Last edited by SonyUSA,

Deobulakenyo

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
To those having problems. Install atmosphere. Boot to atmosphere. Redo choi update while in atmosphere. Then use 2.9 beta to boot to sxos. I helped a friend who made the mistake of updating to 9.0 while using 2.9.

Reactions: Polyphemus

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Unfortunately there's really no good way for us to know why it isn't working because SX OS is closed source. So it's up to SX OS devs to figure it out as we have no real way to look at how they are implementing it and in turn why it is broken. The atmosphere code and libnx is public, so you could see what works, but no good way to figure out why SX OS isn't working because you can't compare the two.

I'm from the opposite view - there should be a good way to know why it isn't compatible becase devs have tried and somehting doesn't work - so they know exactly what isn't performing as expected (I worked in software dev and software Q/A for 10 years.. so if something doesn't work as expected you black box it to try to find out why it doesn't).. having atmos where something does work as expected is exactly the comparison which can help with working out why something isn't working under SX OS. It's similar as to why some programs compile find with one compiler, but don't work under another - you analyse the differences between them to find out why the one compiler is failing.

Reactions: KilwaAston11

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ok from having a quick chat with someone on discord (cheers mate! (and no mate isn't sexist in Australia we call both male and females ''mate'' - just in case)) there was mention that choidujour 1.02 has some specific atmosphere friendly code in it, so that is why it isn't working under SX OS and the older 1.01 version does.

So I'm sure it'll be looked into and identified and hopefully even updated (could a speific CFW bit of code be considered DRM if it means it doesn't work on other CFW?).

In the meantime there is no absolute reason to upgrade to 9.0.0 under emuNAND so just give it the weekend and I'm sure there will be the updates released that are needed to upgrade your firmware.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No. Sysnand.

my apologies, I haven't had time to re-read yet.. I thought it was on their emuNAND. trying to cook dinner at the moment (chicken parma .. yummo).

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm from the opposite view - there should be a good way to know why it isn't compatible becase devs have tried and somehting doesn't work - so they know exactly what isn't performing as expected (I worked in software dev and software Q/A for 10 years.. so if something doesn't work as expected you black box it to try to find out why it doesn't).. having atmos where something does work as expected is exactly the comparison which can help with working out why something isn't working under SX OS. It's similar as to why some programs compile find with one compiler, but don't work under another - you analyse the differences between them to find out why the one compiler is failing.
The problem there is that SX OS is closed source. So they can't see what SX OS is doing differently. Along with that, no one doing things for atmosphere will want to help SX OS because they are profiting on partially stolen atmosphere code. So they won't really want to help SX OS anyway, outside of the problem of being closed source to really be unable to know what the underlying problem is. You can't just compare the two because of that.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The problem there is that SX OS is closed source. So they can't see what SX OS is doing differently. Along with that, no one doing things for atmosphere will want to help SX OS because they are profiting on partially stolen atmosphere code. So they won't really want to help SX OS anyway, outside of the problem of being closed source to really be unable to know what the underlying problem is. You can't just compare the two because of that.

it doesn't matter if SX OS is closed source - if you're writing a program and trying to call a function and it's not working then you can black box test it to see why the function is not responding / acting as you expect it to.

How do you think people reverse engineer things in the first place?

Deobulakenyo

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Ok, I ask because my friend didn't have a emunand setup since he was banned and tried updating his sysnand using 2.9 and is having the black screen after logo issue. I'll give this a shot for him.

That is exactly what happened to my friend. The update was successful since in atmosphere the switch boots fine and refisters 9.0.0 Ams/4S in system version. I told him redo your uodate while in atmosphere and then use sxos 2.9 after the update and it boots now to sxos 2.9

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Along with that, no one doing things for atmosphere will want to help SX OS because they are profiting on partially stolen atmosphere code. So they won't really want to help SX OS anyway, outside of the problem of being closed source to really be unable to know what the underlying problem is. You can't just compare the two because of that.

If devs are specifically excluding one CFW with apps, then usually devs will pop up to support the other CFW with a similar app.. or someone will fork it to support the other CFW. That's the wonderful thing about having choices, you're not locked into what one side says you must do.

Deobulakenyo

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If devs are specifically excluding one CFW with apps, then usually devs will pop up to support the other CFW with a similar app.. or someone will fork it to support the other CFW. That's the wonderful thing about having choices, you're not locked into what one side says you must do.

Not if that other cfw is close-source.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't matter if SX OS is closed source - if you're writing a program and trying to call a function and it's not working then you can black box test it to see why the function is not responding / acting as you expect it to.

How do you think people reverse engineer things in the first place?

That's the problem though. First off, SX OS is against reverse engineering their software anyway. And really, I just don't feel it's on the homebrew devs to fix it. Most of them don't have the knowhow to reverse-engineer to fix it for SX OS, they just know how to properly work within what libnx and devkitpro provides. Why should it be on homebrew devs who have no access to the source code to reverse-engineer and provide SX OS with a fix, when SX OS devs should be able to compare their code with atmosphere to figure it out themselves. Since homebrew generall has worked across all other custom firmware, and SX OS has access to their own code. Maybe it's just me, but I feel we shouldn't have to reverse-engineer SX OS in order to supply the SX OS devs with a fix. That would be like telling game devs to reverse-engineer steam to figure out why a steam update made a bunch of games stop working, rather than going to steam and telling them to fix it. Best simile I could think of.

This is different though. They aren't specifically locking out any cfw (or most aren't), rather they just aren't going to jump through the hoops to make it work with SX OS's broken methods of handling homebrew, mostly because it's closed source so they don't know how it's actually handling it.
Also atmosphere has added error code handling that make it easier for homebrew devs to troubleshoot, which afaik SX OS lacks, but I may be wrong on that one.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: Essasetic

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways, I need to head to bed. Even if I don't agree with everything SX OS does, I still hope everyone can at least get their consoles unbricked. Because that's a sucky thing to happen to anyone, especially for those who had it happen to their sysNAND.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Anyways, I need to head to bed. Even if I don't agree with everything SX OS does, I still hope everyone can at least get their consoles unbricked. Because that's a sucky thing to happen to anyone, especially for those who had it happen to their sysNAND.

agree.. I also hope all the people who are having lockups or not being able to get their atmosphere installs working sort it out - it'll ease up on the number of support posts.

Not if that other cfw is close-source.

if you write an app and it doesn't work then contact SX OS, they will help you if you encounter issues - or so I've been told.

AceOfTheGame

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes I followed the guide and I am up and running after using 2.8 to flash the 9.0 and links awakening xci loads fine.
I didnt lose any data and just didnt copy the user/safe folder that doesnt exist in the firmware backup that was supplied to me.

Hi! I have the same problem, which guide did you use? Thanks.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That's the problem though. First off, SX OS is against reverse engineering their software anyway. And really, I just don't feel it's on the homebrew devs to fix it. Most of them don't have the knowhow to reverse-engineer to fix it for SX OS, they just know how to properly work within what libnx and devkitpro provides. Why should it be on homebrew devs who have no access to the source code to reverse-engineer and provide SX OS with a fix, when SX OS devs should be able to compare their code with atmosphere to figure it out themselves. Since homebrew generall has worked across all other custom firmware, and SX OS has access to their own code. Maybe it's just me, but I feel we shouldn't have to reverse-engineer SX OS in order to supply the SX OS devs with a fix. That would be like telling game devs to reverse-engineer steam to figure out why a steam update made a bunch of games stop working, rather than going to steam and telling them to fix it. Best simile I could think of.

as posted in reply to someone else, if you're a dev and your app doesn't work under SX OS - contact them, they'll assist. Just like Steam would in your above example. no need to reverse engineer but often that's what software devs do - as said, even different compilers can give different results so often devs work these things out themselves, no need to do the full stateful box reverse engineering.

but that point seems to be missed.

This is different though. They aren't specifically locking out any cfw (or most aren't), rather they just aren't going to jump through the hoops to make it work with SX OS's broken methods of handling homebrew, mostly because it's closed source so they don't know how it's actually handling it.
Also atmosphere has added error code handling that make it easier for homebrew devs to troubleshoot, which afaik SX OS lacks, but I may be wrong on that one.

again.. if something doesn't work - then ask them. if you're truly not wanting to lock out one CFW then it's a simple thing to do. But the tribalism between CFW is strong and often encouraged on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Catnip high