Pokemon Sun and Moon on Gateway.

I've seen a lot of questions dotted around with regards to getting Pokemon Sun/ Moon running on a Gateway 3DS, but haven't seen too many problems solve. Haven't seen any tutorials/ threads addressing the issue straight up either, though I haven't looked far hahaha

Hopefully with this tutorial you'll be able to get it working fine as it does for me. It should only take you a few minutes to complete and worked perfectly for me. Check all spoiler tags for images!

STEP 1
Create a new Folder

First off, create a folder on your desktop and call it whatever you want [fig.1a]. Then make a copy of your game for safety [fig.1b] and place your Pokemon Sun/ Moon .3ds file in that desktop folder. [fig.1c]

This folder is just for storing the tools and stuff we need temporarily.
[fig.1a] Create folder on Desktop

[fig.1b] Copy Your Game

[fig.1c] Place ROM in desktop folder

STEP 2
Update your Gateway Firmware

Next head to the gateway website and download their latest Firmware which is '4.2. BETA' Which will be listed as '3.7.2-BETA Ultra' [fig.2a], download this, as inside you'll find the GW_Ultra_4.2_BETA folder with the correct launcher.dat [fig.2b]

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads/

Put your 3DS SD card into the PC, Drag the launcher.dat from the 'GW_Ultra_4.2_BETA' zip folder onto the root of your SD Card and congratulations. Your Gateway is updated! [fig.2c]

[fig.2a] Gateway 4.2 firmware Download Link

[fig.2b] Downloaded Gateway 4.2 firmware in ZIP folder
http://s112.photobucket.com/user/mikeytaylor1998/media/fig.2b_zps5x3dfpde.png.html
[fig.2c] Gateway 4.2 BETA Update Folder

[fig.2d] launcher.dat copied to 3DS SD Card

STEP 3
Download Card1to2.exe

Download Card1to2.exe [fig.3a]and extract it to the folder you created on your desktop [fig.3b] You can download the application here from here:
https://filetrip.net/dl?deY8GQks8v
[fig.3a] Card1to2 Download Link

[fig.3b] Card1to2.exe in Desktop folder with ROM

This application converts a game from Card 1 type into Card 2 type . The difference between the two types is how the game is saved during gameplay.

That's a very simplified explanation. There's no need to go deep into the technical side of it.

STEP 4
Download Gateway ROM Patcher 1.2

Download Gateway ROM Patcher 1.2 from the link below [fig.4a] and extract it to the folder you created on the desktop. [fig.4b]
https://mega.nz/#!GUJyHCqZ!fw1WGosToTkrEFjULyR4cfdKLMTKIssgsY1EEbFFtJ4

You'll also need a Private or Public Header file to use with this application. You can find some public headers [fig.4c] in the link below:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/scene-roms-online-tutorial-for-dummies.370589/

You're more likely to get banned using one of these headers to go online, but I've always used them and never had a ban (yet!). If you don't plan on going online then you're perfectly safe. Once downloaded put your header into the same desktop folder with everything else. [fig.4d]

With all of these things downloaded, you have everything you need to create a ROM that works with Gateway! [fig.4e] Shows all required files you should have at this point.

*Your header may differ depending on which you downloaded!*
[fig.4a] Download Link for Gateway ROM Patcher

[fig.4b] Gateway ROM Patcher in Desktop Folder

[fig.4c] Public Header Downloads

[fig.4d] Header in Desktop Folder

[fig.4e] All Required Files

STEP 5
Convert the ROM from Card 1 to Card 2 type.

Open the desktop folder.
Drag the Pokemon ROM you're using onto 'Card1to2.exe' to open a command prompt. [fig.5a]
Type 1.
Press Enter.
When it's finished (it only takes a second or 2) press enter again.

Now your game is Card 2 type :)

[fig.5a] Drag ROM onto Card1to2.exe

STEP 6
Inject your new header.

The program we're about to use has a bug in it where the header isn't added to the ROM correctly, so just follow my instructions here and you'll be fine.

Load up the Gateway ROM Patcher application from the desktop folder and load your Pokemon ROM into it. Make sure that 'Rename ROM extension to ".3dz" after modification is ticked too. [fig.6a].

Select 'Import header from file' and choose the header that you downloaded. [fig.6b]

Now, This is where the bug in the program is.

A pop up box will then appear telling you that "This Chip ID is not matched to the ROM Size. Can I suggest a better Value?" . Select 'NO' [fig.6c] Then close the application using the cross in the top right.

Now you need to open up the Gateway ROM Patcher one more time. Load your Pokemon ROM and it'll ask you this question again, but this time select 'YES' [fig.6d]! Doing this patches the headers into the ROM correctly [fig.6e]. Click apply as the application tells you, then close it.

If you see your Pokemon ROM now has a .3dz extension in the desktop folder then you're set to move onto the next step! [fig.6f]

[fig.6a] Gateway ROM Patcher with Pokemon Loaded in

[fig.6b] Choose your Header

[fig.6c] Avoiding the bug by choosing the Correct Option.

[fig.6d] Reload the Gateway ROM Patcher and Select Pokemon ROM. Select YES when prompted.

[fig.6e] Successfully Patched Headers.

[Fig.6f]

STEP 7
All done!

Your ROM is ready to use on gateway!

Copy it to the Gateway Micro SD Card [fig.7a] then put it back in your Gateway Red Card.

Load your 3DS up into gateway mode, select your game and play! [fig.7b] & [fig.7c]

[fig.7a] Pokemon ROM .3dz on Gateway Micro SD Card

[fig.7b] Pokemon Sun loaded on homescreen

[fig.7c] Pokemon Sun Functioning

IMPORTANT(?) INFORMATION
This was done on an OLD 3DS

I have arm9loaderhax and Luma installed.

I have the gateway payloader set so holding down on startup, the console boots directly into gateway mode.

The system menu is updated to 11.2.

The ROM can NOT be trimmed.

Step 6 may not be necessary if you don't plan on going online. I inserted the header just in case and it worked but didn't test without inserting one so just told you guys the exact method I used and tested :)

I'm not sure if any of this info is relevant. The game may load on your Gateway with fully updated EmuNAND 11.2 without having to install a9lh and Luma. It might work on a lower EmuNAND even but I don't know Pokemon Sun/ Moon's full requirements!

FINAL HELP
If you want to set up your console exactly as mine is set up, it could take you an hour or 2 but I definitely recommend it! Below are links to the tutorials I used to get a9lh and Gateway to run alongside Luma :)

a9lh Installation Tutorial:
https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

Gateway Luma Payload Tutorial:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

I hope this is helpful to any Gateway users having trouble running the game. If anything needs amending let me know :)

Also, I know that the image examples aren't fantastic, but the instructions on their own should be enough to help. Its my first written tutorial so... I tried hahaha

Also, gotta add this self promotion in at the end. Check out my signature if you enjoy video game glitches ;P

Stingbandel

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi, I am new with this. Actually I don't play this but this one is for my son. I would like to know if adding the private header would be able to let me go online or not with this game.

If I cannot do online, if I buy the game, does the game automatically update the console firmware, not allowing me to use gateway anymore?

thank you, and sorry, I am relatively new with this.

thanks

roby972

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi all
i tried with this guide but cannot works for me ...old 3ds sysnand 4.4 gw 4.2 beta emunand 11.2
when pokemon sun or moon ask me to delete corrupted saved data the program crashes and i force to reboot

rom header part guide dont do it , is this the problem?

ronopotomus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I am experiencing great difficulty with Card 1 to 2. It doesn't stay open. The black screen flashes and closes every time I drop the rom into .exe file. I have no opportunity to enter "1" or exit by hitting the "enter". It just comes up and text scrolls very quickly then will close. Anyone else having this issue? I have multiple laptops here and have tried on all.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there, I could make this work on my own o3DS but I tried doing it for a friend of mine and I got the black screen issue, the game doesn't even say anything about save being corrupted or anything similar, just a plain black screen no matter how long I wait :(.

Honestly I don't really understand why this happens, I even recreated the EmuNAND from scratch, tried patching the game in different ways...etc but it doesn't work, more interesting the version that I patched and that doesn't work on my friend's o3DS works on mine. My friend has a more recent version of the gateway red card but he only has a 2GB SD card, I don't really see any other differences between the 2, could anyone help me sort this issue? As my friend only has a 2GB SD card I can't even install the .cia version...

I'd be glad for any help you guys can provide :)

Last edited by Idaho,

Kitana

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, I am experiencing great difficulty with Card 1 to 2. It doesn't stay open. The black screen flashes and closes every time I drop the rom into .exe file. I have no opportunity to enter "1" or exit by hitting the "enter". It just comes up and text scrolls very quickly then will close. Anyone else having this issue? I have multiple laptops here and have tried on all.

Having this same problem....my command prompt flashes on screen and closes...how do I get it to stay open?

Update: Looks like my rom was faulty...works now with a different rom.

Last edited by Kitana,

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new with this. Actually I don't play this but this one is for my son. I would like to know if adding the private header would be able to let me go online or not with this game.

thanks
Private headers are used for going online yes. The retail Pokemon game would probably update your console but I'm not sure which update is on the cartridge. It won't be the latest though, so Gateway would still work I believe.

hi all
i tried with this guide but cannot works for me ...old 3ds sysnand 4.4 gw 4.2 beta emunand 11.2
when pokemon sun or moon ask me to delete corrupted saved data the program crashes and i force to reboot

rom header part guide dont do it , is this the problem?
The header is only for online play so it's not really necessary to do unless you want to use the GTS to trade or Battle online or whatever. The problem must lie elsewhere... Hmm. There are a few solutions mentioned in the replies here. My first go to would be to try Card1to2 again, closing the CMD window properly with the Enter key when prompted.

Faulty ROM! That's the only thing it can really be... Try another one as Kitana mentioned :)

pikanag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey fam so I followed your guide and I'm still struggling to get pokemon sun working on my n3ds LL.

currently rocking gateway ultra 4.2 launcher on my 8.1j sysnand japanese n3ds ll. It currently has a 9.5j firmware on the emunand. Do I need to update it to 11.0 to play pokemon sun? If so, how do I go about doing that without updating to 11.3 . i get this error: http://i.imgur.com/32nGf5w.jpg

edit: apparently it translate to "The report is broken. For details, please consult the instruction manual for this software in the home menu."
I have no idea wtf to do T.T
can any homie help me out? just wana play some pokemon, dont need nothing crazy like the new arm9 hack and stuff

EDIT: followed a method from user on the first page of this thread and it worked for me. fucking dope

Last edited by pikanag,

totorot0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I can confirm solving the save data error. Since I don't intend to go online, I only use card1to2. On my first attempt, I dropped the rom on top of the .exe, pressed 1 and enter. To close the window I pressed on the X in the corner. BIG MISTAKE! As a few people already pointed out, you need to press enter one more time after the process is done (takes a second) to close the window. I did this on my second attempt and now the game loads fine and creates the save file.

Celcia

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi! I've been looking for the card1to2.exe but it's expired everywhere... anyone has a copy? Thanks in advance!

draftguy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DL link is dead, has anyone still got this and able to re up Card 1 to 2 please.
Here is a python script (by @onepiecefreak) that converts card1 <-> card2.
Just rename the extension from .txt to .py and drag n drop your 3ds file over the script.

(Python >=3.5.1 required)

Attachments

• cardTypeConverter12.txt
    4 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Spider_Man

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a python script (by @onepiecefreak) that converts card1 <-> card2.
Just rename the extension from .txt to .py and drag n drop your 3ds file over the script.

(Python >=3.5.1 required)
Hi,

Thanks for adding this, I have downloaded it, change txt to py and copied my rom off my SD to my laptop where I have saved the file.

I drag/drop the rom into the file, it shows that the card type is 1 and says to press 1 then Enter to convert it from card1 to card2.

I type 1 then hit Enter but nothing happens, the window then closes. I am pretty sure the last time I converted a rom it had something like confirmation message before you having to close the window.

After doing this I thought it was strange that nothing appeared to have happened and the window closing automatically, so I drag/drop my rom again and still it shows as been card1 and not 2, which it should be if it successfully converted the rom the first time.

So I am not sure what or if I am doing something wrong to convert my rom from card1 to card2.

draftguy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

Thanks for adding this, I have downloaded it, change txt to py and copied my rom off my SD to my laptop where I have saved the file.

I drag/drop the rom into the file, it shows that the card type is 1 and says to press 1 then Enter to convert it from card1 to card2.

I type 1 then hit Enter but nothing happens, the window then closes. I am pretty sure the last time I converted a rom it had something like confirmation message before you having to close the window.

After doing this I thought it was strange that nothing appeared to have happened and the window closing automatically, so I drag/drop my rom again and still it shows as been card1 and not 2, which it should be if it successfully converted the rom the first time.

So I am not sure what or if I am doing something wrong to convert my rom from card1 to card2.
It‘s been quite a while I used this script, it used to work for me.
Tried it today and have the same problem you describe.
(It also shows card2 games as card1 games…)

I‘m not the developer please ask in the release thread maybe you can
get help there.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/realease-card1-card2-converter.405915/

Reactions: Spider_Man

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It‘s been quite a while I used this script, it used to work for me.
Tried it today and have the same problem you describe.
(It also shows card2 games as card1 games…)

I‘m not the developer please ask in the release thread maybe you can
get help there.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/realease-card1-card2-converter.405915/
Ok so i think i found this in my old emails that I had sent, just tested it on pokemon ultra sun and it worked with my gateway card, but my stargate3ds+ didnt detect the rom after patching it.

god i hate stargate card, with it only working with roms of the same region as the console, no matter how many times i download roms claiming to be Europe, its very rare any will work, so now i am trying to hunt down europe encrypted roms of pokemon games.

itll be fun lol

Attachments

• card1to2.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 48

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e