Tutorial  Updated

A9LH Users: Recover From Formatted/Deleted SD Card

With the way arm9loaderhax works right now, a formatted, dead, or otherwise deleted SD/microSD prevents you from booting the 3DS at all. Does that mean you have a brick? Not in the least! It is quite possible, even easy, to recover the ability to boot your 3DS, as long as you have a functioning SD/microSD. The purpose of this guide is to help you get your 3DS back into working order after you've lost the data on the system's SD/microSD (hereafter referred to as "SD card" or "SD"). It assumes you have no SD backups and no files saved locally to your PC. This tutorial will work for all 3DS models, including the 2DS.

This guide will not recover save data, previously installed applications, StreetPass/Mii data, custom themes, or Home Menu configurations! If you don't have a SD card backup, you will have to start from scratch!

Step 1 - Recover Boot Capability
  1. Download version 7.1 of Luma3DS. Version 8.0 (and higher) are exclusive to boot9strap, and will not work on A9LH.
  2. Extract the "3ds" folder and "arm9loaderhax.bin" to the root of your SD card.
  3. Boot your 3DS, which will boot into Luma settings automatically. Configure Luma, then press Start to save and boot into the Home Menu.
...That's it! Your 3DS will now boot normally. Easy, right? But you didn't install a9lh just to have a normal 3DS that doesn't boot without an SD, did you? Well, then, let's get to work on getting all of that delicious homebrew back. You might have noticed that all of your installed CIAs are gone. A temporary setback.

Step 2 - FBI Inject
  1. Download the latest version of Hourglass9.
  2. Download the latest version of Universal Inject Generator (click "Clone or Download", then click "Download Zip").
  3. Download the latest version of FBI.
  4. Create a folder on the root of the SD card called "luma". If you've booted your system after completing Step 1 and configured Luma, you can skip this step as there should already be a luma folder on your SD card.
  5. Create a folder called "payloads" in the luma folder on your SD card.
  6. Extract "Hourglass9.bin" into the payloads folder and rename it "start_Hourglass9.bin".
  7. Create a folder called "cias" on the root of your SD card.
  8. Extract "FBI.cia" to the cias folder.
  9. Create a folder called "Universal Inject Generator" on your PC (it doesn't matter where, so pick a place you can find easily).
  10. Extract the contents of the Universal Inject Generator zip file to the folder you created.
  11. Extract "FBI.cia" to the "input" folder in your Universal Inject Generator folder.
  12. Eject the SD card from your computer and place it in your 3DS.
  13. Press and hold the Start button while turning the power on. This should boot Hourglass9.
  14. Select the first option, "SysNAND Backup/Restore".
  15. Select the third option, "Health & Safety Dump".
  16. Use Left and Right on the D-Pad to select a name for the dump file ("hs.app" is the default), then press A to start the dump. If (!) appears after the file name, that means that file already exists on your SD card. Pick another name, just to be certain.
  17. Press B to return to the SysNAND Backup/Restore menu, then press Select to unmount your SD card.
  18. Remove your SD card from your 3DS and connect it to your PC. You do not have to power off your 3DS to do this.
  19. There should now be a "files9" folder on the root of your SD card. Browse to it, and find the Health & Safety dump you just made (file name should be whatever you selected).
  20. Move hs.app (or whatever your dump is called) to the input folder in Universal Inject Generator.
  21. Run Universal Inject Generator by running "go.bat" (Windows), "go.sh" (Linux/Unix), or "Mac_Script_Launcher.applescript" (Mac).
  22. When it's finished, place "FBI_inject_with_banner.app" in the files9 folder on your SD card.
  23. Eject your SD card from your PC and insert it into your 3DS.
  24. Press B to return to the SysNAND Backup/Restore menu in Hourglass9.
  25. Select the fourth option, "Health & Safety Inject".
  26. Enter the key combination Hourglass9 asks for, which should be "Left, Up, Right, Up, A".
  27. Select FBI_inject_with_banner.app using Left and Right on the D-Pad and press A to inject.
  28. Wait for the inject to finish, then press Start to reboot into the Home Menu.
You will now have an app called FBI in place of the Health and Safety app on your Home Menu. The FBI icon (a blue square with the letters "FBI" inside) should now show up on your Home Menu, but if it doesn't, check the Health & Safety icon. If FBI was properly injected, the FBI banner should show up in place of the normal Health & Safety banner. This is a bit "dirty", though, so let's actually install FBI.

Step 3 - Install FBI
  1. Start your Health & Safety FBI.
  2. Select "SD".
  3. Select "cias".
  4. Select "FBI.cia".
  5. Select "Install".
And now you have a "legit" installation of FBI on your 3DS. This version can be updated without risk. You can now install other homebrew apps on your 3DS through this "legit" FBI. I recommend at least installing Homebr3w (an installer and manager for homebrew apps) and lumaupdate (an automated updater for Luma 3DS), but as you know, there's a whole world out there for you to explore.

Step 4 - Re-inject Health & Safety
This step is completely optional. Some people like keeping their Health & Safety FBI around as insurance against something like this ever happening again, especially since H&S is pretty useless. This is fine, but there's also a risk that a future OFW update might make that version of FBI unuseable, which would require you to re-inject FBI anyways, because I'm pretty sure Health & Safety injected FBI cannot update. If you want to put your Health & Safety app back to what it should be, follow the steps below from a completely powered-off 3DS:
  1. Press and hold start while pressing the power button to boot into Hourglass9.
  2. Select SysNAND backup/restore.
  3. Select Health & Safety Inject.
  4. Enter the key combination.
  5. Select your Health & Safety dump using Left and Right, then press A to start the inject.
  6. Wait until the inject is finished, then press Start to reboot into the Home Menu.
And now you should have your normal Health & Safety app back.

Last edited by bahamut920,

bahamut920

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can do a System Format in your 3DS options to "start from scratch"; it will erase all software on your 3DS that did not ship with the system, and will unlink any linked NNID. It won't affect system software or firmware version, nor will it affect A9LH.

In order to get rid of A9LH, you need Decrypt9, and a NAND backup made before you installed A9LH. Just put the Decrypt9 app in the "payloads" directory just like Hourglass9, rename it (I personally use either "X_Decrypt9.bin" or "Y_Decrypt9.bin", I don't remember offhand), and then restore your backup using the same method you would in Hourglass9. There are two options to restore a NAND backup in D9, obviously you don't choose "Restore (keep A9LH)".

bahamut920

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first part, at the very least, is A9LH-specific and completely unnecessary on a 3DS without A9LH. It's not even necessary with all installations of A9LH. Honestly, I don't know all that much about non-A9LH/Luma setups, aside from the fact that an EmuNAND is required somewhere along the line. I waited for the 3DS to be as "hacked" as the PSP was before really paying attention to the scene, so by the time I was ready to go with mine, the Plailect guide was well-established and I just dove all the way down the rabbit hole in one go.

N1N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help? I'm using a USA N3DS on 11.2.

http://imgur.com/a/5glTC

EDIT: Never mind, I've managed to fix most of the problems by myself. I'm more lucky than I realize to have backups of mostly everything, albeit scattered all over my computer

Last edited by N1N,

kiritomens

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i'm just fucking stupid i formatted with my sd not in my 3ds so nothing fucking work hs app FBI does't want to instal anything i can't boot in to HG9 or luma settings or GM9 for some reason so i thout lets just back up my shit and fallow this TT fallowd everything stil does't want to boot into HG9 for some reasom WTF am i supposed to do like shit

bahamut920

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, it sounds like you don't have the Luma files on your SD card, or they're in the wrong place. Did following the tutorial at least get FBI and/or Luma settings (hold Select on boot) working? If they work, check the name on your HG9 bin file. It needs to be "start_HG9.bin", "x_HG9.bin", or "y_HG9.bin".

If none of that works, try reformatting and following the tutorial again.

TheArcaneArtyst

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I did Step 16, I got a message:

"Code / Crypto: CTR-N-HACE / 7x
slot0x25KeyX not set up
This won't work on O3DS < 7.x or A9LH"
Health&Safety Dump: failed!"

I'm not 100% sure what I should do...

EDIT: Wait, nvm. This question was asked already

Last edited by TheArcaneArtyst,

cow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hello guys!

i have a issue i have done this with my n3ds xl i don't know what to do now?!
what are my option what kan i do?

Updating/Formatting a New 3DS via System Settings on 2.1

Since there's no New console that officially supports versions lower than 4.x, updating via System Setting after the 2.1 downgrade will brick your console for sure. Why this bricks is because you're running a Old3DS-exclusive version, and if you try to update or format the system

bahamut920

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So are you saying you're "stuck" on 2.1 because if you do a System Update, you'll brick, or are you saying you've already bricked due to updating while on 2.1 OFW?

If the former, you should be able to use whatever system downgrader the Plailect guide is using nowadays to install the 9.2 OFW files, which will allow you to update normally. If the latter, try the "hard update" button shortcut. I forget what the exact button combination you need to hold on boot is, but you can shortcut directly to the system update, which may allow you to recover from brick. Otherwise, you might be screwed.

JacksonWillis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When Also did Step 16, I got a message:

slot0x25KeyX not set up

I

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 284
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 319

bahamut920

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Also did Step 16, I got a message:

slot0x25KeyX not set up
You didn't read the guide carefully. You're missing the key files, search for aeskeydb.bin.

I should probably add that to the guide when I get time; it seems to be a fairly common issue.

SirGetsDeleted

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm stuck on the third step. I got up to the part where I press the H&S icon w/ the FBI icon, but for some reason it says FBI has encountered a fatal error.
Failed to set syscore cpu time limit: D900182F. Please send help!! Thanks!
Edit: I fixed it.

Last edited by SirGetsDeleted,

diablereine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the way arm9loaderhax works right now, a formatted, dead, or otherwise deleted SD/microSD prevents you from booting the 3DS at all. Does that mean you have a brick? Not in the least! It is quite possible, even easy, to recover the ability to boot your 3DS, as long as you have a functioning SD/microSD. The purpose of this guide is to help you get your 3DS back into working order after you've lost the data on the system's SD/microSD (hereafter referred to as "SD card" or "SD"). It assumes you have no SD backups and no files saved locally to your PC. This tutorial will work for all 3DS models, including the 2DS.

This guide will not recover save data, previously installed applications, StreetPass/Mii data, custom themes, or Home Menu configurations! If you don't have a SD card backup, you will have to start from scratch!

Step 1 - Recover Boot Capability
  1. Download the latest version of Luma3DS.
  2. Extract the "3ds" folder and "arm9loaderhax.bin" to the root of your SD card.
  3. Boot your 3DS, which will boot into Luma settings automatically. Configure Luma, then press Start to save and boot into the Home Menu.
...That's it! Your 3DS will now boot normally. Easy, right? But you didn't install a9lh just to have a normal 3DS that doesn't boot without an SD, did you? Well, then, let's get to work on getting all of that delicious homebrew back. You might have noticed that all of your installed CIAs are gone. A temporary setback.

Step 2 - FBI Inject
  1. Download the latest version of Hourglass9.
  2. Download the latest version of Universal Inject Generator (click "Clone or Download", then click "Download Zip").
  3. Download the latest version of FBI.
  4. Create a folder on the root of the SD card called "luma". If you've booted your system after completing Step 1 and configured Luma, you can skip this step as there should already be a luma folder on your SD card.
  5. Create a folder called "payloads" in the luma folder on your SD card.
  6. Extract "Hourglass9.bin" into the payloads folder and rename it "start_Hourglass9.bin".
  7. Create a folder called "cias" on the root of your SD card.
  8. Extract "FBI.cia" to the cias folder.
  9. Create a folder called "Universal Inject Generator" on your PC (it doesn't matter where, so pick a place you can find easily).
  10. Extract the contents of the Universal Inject Generator zip file to the folder you created.
  11. Extract "FBI.cia" to the "input" folder in your Universal Inject Generator folder.
  12. Eject the SD card from your computer and place it in your 3DS.
  13. Press and hold the Start button while turning the power on. This should boot Hourglass9.
  14. Select the first option, "SysNAND Backup/Restore".
  15. Select the third option, "Health & Safety Dump".
  16. Use Left and Right on the D-Pad to select a name for the dump file ("hs.app" is the default), then press A to start the dump. If (!) appears after the file name, that means that file already exists on your SD card. Pick another name, just to be certain.
  17. Press B to return to the SysNAND Backup/Restore menu, then press Select to unmount your SD card.
  18. Remove your SD card from your 3DS and connect it to your PC. You do not have to power off your 3DS to do this.
  19. There should now be a "files9" folder on the root of your SD card. Browse to it, and find the Health & Safety dump you just made (file name should be whatever you selected).
  20. Move hs.app (or whatever your dump is called) to the input folder in Universal Inject Generator.
  21. Run Universal Inject Generator by running "go.bat" (Windows), "go.sh" (Linux/Unix), or "Mac_Script_Launcher.applescript" (Mac).
  22. When it's finished, place "FBI_inject_with_banner.app" in the files9 folder on your SD card.
  23. Eject your SD card from your PC and insert it into your 3DS.
  24. Press B to return to the SysNAND Backup/Restore menu in Hourglass9.
  25. Select the fourth option, "Health & Safety Inject".
  26. Enter the key combination Hourglass9 asks for, which should be "Left, Up, Right, Up, A".
  27. Select FBI_inject_with_banner.app using Left and Right on the D-Pad and press A to inject.
  28. Wait for the inject to finish, then press Start to reboot into the Home Menu.
You will now have an app called FBI in place of the Health and Safety app on your Home Menu. The FBI icon (a blue square with the letters "FBI" inside) should now show up on your Home Menu, but if it doesn't, check the Health & Safety icon. If FBI was properly injected, the FBI banner should show up in place of the normal Health & Safety banner. This is a bit "dirty", though, so let's actually install FBI.

Step 3 - Install FBI
  1. Start your Health & Safety FBI.
  2. Select "SD".
  3. Select "cias".
  4. Select "FBI.cia".
  5. Select "Install".
And now you have a "legit" installation of FBI on your 3DS. This version can be updated without risk. You can now install other homebrew apps on your 3DS through this "legit" FBI. I recommend at least installing Homebr3w (an installer and manager for homebrew apps) and lumaupdate (an automated updater for Luma 3DS), but as you know, there's a whole world out there for you to explore.

Step 4 - Re-inject Health & Safety
This step is completely optional. Some people like keeping their Health & Safety FBI around as insurance against something like this ever happening again, especially since H&S is pretty useless. This is fine, but there's also a risk that a future OFW update might make that version of FBI unuseable, which would require you to re-inject FBI anyways, because I'm pretty sure Health & Safety injected FBI cannot update. If you want to put your Health & Safety app back to what it should be, follow the steps below from a completely powered-off 3DS:
  1. Press and hold start while pressing the power button to boot into Hourglass9.
  2. Select SysNAND backup/restore.
  3. Select Health & Safety Inject.
  4. Enter the key combination.
  5. Select your Health & Safety dump using Left and Right, then press A to start the inject.
  6. Wait until the inject is finished, then press Start to reboot into the Home Menu.
And now you should have your normal Health & Safety app back.
!
I have this problem, but i cant even get past step 1... can you pleease please update this tutorial? thank youuu!!!!!!1

bahamut920

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the newest Luma release (8.0 as of the time of this post) is exclusive to boot9strap, which is an alternative to a9lh that I haven't done much research on. Download 7.1 instead, which should still work on a9lh, AFAIK.

8-BitBen

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm having a major problem with my new 3ds model. Recently I sent my 3ds to someone who installed custom firmware on my 3ds to have luma and ntr. I tried to update it but I did it in the wrong order and when it installed it was supposed to reboot but it hasn't turned on again since. Can I fix this. These are the files I currently have and can I get my new 3ds to work again?
upload_2017-6-24_14-5-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-24_14-4-55.png
    upload_2017-6-24_14-4-55.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 297

bahamut920

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An important question to lead off; when you attempt to turn on your 3DS, does the power indicator LED turn on for a second and then turn off? That's a sign of a problem this tutorial is intended to fix. If the LED doesn't turn on at all, or turns on and stays on while the screen stays off, I can't help you with those problems, as they most likely relate to hardware or actual device firmware problems. Also, you said you had custom firmware installed, but haven't specified the method used. This tutorial is intended for users of a method called Arm9LoaderHax. Luma can also run through the Homebrew Launcher (IIRC) and another method called Boot9Strap. Homebrew Luma likely wouldn't cause your booting problem, due to not actually affecting anything on that level AFAIK, but Boot9Strap could be affecting your ability to boot your 3DS, and I know almost nothing about it.

I don't see the arm9loaderhax.bin file in the root of your SD Card. It's not necessary in some a9lh installations (especially newer ones AFAIK), but try downloading a Luma build from the link in the OP (7.1 preferably, if that doesn't work try an earlier build), grabbing the file from the archive, and putting it on the root of your SD.

8-BitBen

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was able to fix this with downloading an older version of luma 7.1. text came up on the screen again and fixed the problem. the led did turn off after 1 second when it didn't work.

FeelinLucky12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still having the problem with a9lh probably next I will do the guide that makes it where when I take the Sd card the 3ds can turn on. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the a9lh problem that if you take the sd card out it won't turn because the 3ds needs a9lh on the sd card or it won't turn on. Will people keep saying to fat32 my sd card so the 3ds can read it. They also said the only thing you need to do is put arm9loaderhax.bin on the sd card and it will boot up. Well I accidentally formatted the sd card and didn't back up. Causing the 3ds power light go blue and fades off. They also said to use Luma 7.0.5 or lower which I did it and it still won't turn on. Well I'm screwed for Life. Note: I've tried all what they told me any suggestions

ive tried to do step one which that was putting luma 7.1 sd card and it did the same thing which when I try to turn it on the blue led light fade away please help

bahamut920

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try placing the "3ds" folder in the 7.0.5 Luma archive on the root of your SD card as well. If that doesn't work, try another SD card, just in case.

Just making sure, you're absolutely certain that your SD card is formatted to FAT32, correct? The Windows format tool will not format an SD Card more than 32GB in size as FAT32; it defaults to exFAT. If you have an SD card larger than 32GB, you need a different format tool to format it as FAT32. I don't seem to have bookmarked the site I downloaded the tool I use to do so, but try Googling it.

FeelinLucky12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I've been using mac. And I'm sure I formatted but I'm going to use the format tool. I think I gotta get another ad card to make it work I'll update you. Also I've tried the 1st method didn't work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: