Trying to fix my 6 year old bricked Wii without losing its data help

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously? Just throw away a device that is out of production for >10 years and don't think twice!
For anyone against this idea, he's got a point, though.

To the OP - BlueBomb could help you recover from most bricks, as long as the hardware isn't also impaired: https://wii.guide/bluebomb.html Based on your description, I can guess that it's an older Wii model, so it should work.

EDIT: Looks like @Lima112 had the same idea; I didn't read far enough to see that.

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza and Lima112

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last time replying on this. Slow but sure I'm getting sick of that waste attitude.
But it goes more and more off-topic – I'll put the reply to that in a spoiler below.

To the OP - BlueBomb could help you recover from most bricks,
Even Bluebomb requires the majority of the software to load in the background. Without reaching the Health&Safety screen there is not much chance for this to succeed.
What baffles me is @Rayan-_- not having logged in for quite some time. According to their first post the console in question has vulnerable boot1 (at least if I understood this correctly). This makes me wonder if BootMii is installed and functional. In this case BootMii would be THE entry point for recovery attempts.
Sadly we are missing a low-level exploit like ntrboot(hax) on the 3DS for the Wii to start software completely independent from NAND contents.

For anyone against this idea, he's got a point, though.
And what point? May I know this? It is a recurring theme – just here on the forum there are more than enough instances with the result: "Ditch it!" – We don't know how many people do such mistakes without asking for help online.
"Just a few Wii less. LOL! Doesn't matter!"
LMAO… funny!

yea... dude... or gal, or whatever, idc, the point is it makes no sense to treat a Wii like a super duper rare holy grail from 700 years ago, I can guarantee you that throwing away a single one will make exactly zero difference in the world, or even its future resell value. If it was a Wii U that would be a lot different for a number of reasons.
Yeah, exaggerate into absurdness to dismiss any objection to blindly throwing away (ignoring other arguments, including those targeted at the special case).
If it was a Wii U that would be a lot different for a number of reasons.
Comparing the number of Wii consoles with vulnerable boot1 to the total number of Wii U consoles will give an interesting result. And these especially interesting Wii consoles can experience problems with a voltage regulator (at least one revision). Not something a few people:
No one tells people to break their devices in stupid ways and then expect easy solutions to their mistakes.
have to actively do (wrong).
=====

I'm not saying replacement is out of question. It is an unfortunate truth that this is the end result for many (average) users having made a mistake or encountering a random error without modding. But it is not the first and only thing to try. On a forum with technically interested people I'd expect other points of view as well.
At least for consoles with vulnerable boot1 there is the complex hardware flasher repair even without backup and without BootMii already installed in boot2. No, I would not dare to try it myself as the chance to succeed is basically zero with my shaking hands. But there are people who can reliably do it – even if it makes financially no sense (obviously).

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lol whatever guys, message me back in 25 years and tell me how much do you still care about the number of working Nintendo Wiis in the world (coming from a guy who absolutely loves the Wii but ultimately understands it's just a piece of plastic and metal built in China factories).

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what point? May I know this?
It's right there in black and white, but I'll spell it out for you, since you asked: You were saying that we shouldn't throw away our consoles simply because they're broken; we should try to fix them. If they can't be fixed, then perhaps the parts can be recycled in some capacity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game