• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump allegedly indicted in a Georgia 2020 subversion probe

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Trump has done it yet again, charged with state racketeering and conspiracy charges to revert his defeat over the 2020 election.

Sources:
https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-fulton-county-georgia-08-14-23/index.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/14/donald-trump-georgia-indictment-2020-election

You're welcome. :D
Wow, democracy at its finest. Whats with conservatives and stealing elections? Remember how George Bush Junior "won" against AL Gore and John Kerry?

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The only problem with any of those indictments is that they took almost 3 years to happen, particularly where the main piece of evidence was a recording we knew existed within weeks of it being made.

Wouldn't be surprised if this will be too little too late to stop the next coup attempt from succeeding.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only problem with any of those indictments is that they took almost 3 years to happen, particularly where the main piece of evidence was a recording we knew existed within weeks of it being made.

Wouldn't be surprised if this will be too little too late to stop the next coup attempt from succeeding.
Nah, it's totally organic, just like a day or so become the 2016 election day when the FBI re-opened Hillary Clinton's files, or a month or so before 2016 election day 4890384209384092384290 women coming out to #metoo Trump. Maybe one day we'll get Trump's "piss tape" I'm sure it wasn't made up.

Reactions: N7Kopper

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There are eighteen other people being charged here in addition to Trump. This was a multi-layered conspiracy that goes well beyond one phone call, and it takes time to build a case on even the most "straightforward" of crimes, let alone RICO.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still kinda hoping Judge Chutkin will lock him up pending trail for attempted witness tampering and trying to poison the jury pool. At least that way it prevents him from attempting the same in his 3 other indictments and I imagine trying to run an election campaign from a jail cell is probably kinda difficult.

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi and HellGhast

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The indictments have taken three years to happen (notice how they're all happening at once now) because this is how the Democrats intend to prevent the public from voting Trump into office again. It's not so much about punishing him for 2020, or yeah these indictments could've happened at least 2 years ago. I mean, they'll take that part too and enjoy it, but the real purpose here is to fix next year's election. It's election interference by lawfare.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are eighteen other people being charged here in addition to Trump. This was a multi-layered conspiracy that goes well beyond one phone call, and it takes time to build a case on even the most "straightforward" of crimes, let alone RICO.
Sure, but as said there's a good chance they're too late to matter. I highly doubt any of these trials will done before election day or the inauguration roll around. If trump makes it back into power via any means they'll ensure none of them will proceed fairly.
The indictments have taken three years to happen (notice how they're all happening at once now) because this is how the Democrats intend to prevent the public from voting Trump into office again. It's not so much about punishing him for 2020, or yeah these indictments could've happened at least 2 years ago. I mean, they'll take that part too and enjoy it, but the real purpose here is to fix next year's election. It's election interference by lawfare.
That's not how indictments work, in all of those trials an independent grand jury has voted that the evidence presented is enough to move forward. The grand jury being made up of regular citizens, not politicians of any leaning.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not how indictments work, in all of those trials an independent grand jury has voted that the evidence presented is enough to move forward. The grand jury being made up of regular citizens, not politicians of any leaning.

If that's how you think indictments work, you don't have a clue how indictments work.

1) the timing is entirely up to the prosecutors
2) the evidence presented is entirely up to the prosecutors
3) the proceedings and records are sealed so there is no way to check if prosecutors misrepresent the law or facts
3) there is no requirement to present or concede any potentially exonerating or exculpatory evidence or theory
4) there is no cross examination of witnesses
5) all of these indictments have been generated in heavy concentration 'blue' jurisdictions

Anyway my point was not about 'how indictments work' except where the timing is concerned. And the fact that all of them have been generated to result in trial schedules that overlap the election season is no coincidence.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If that's how you think indictments work, you don't have a clue how indictments work.

1) the timing is entirely up to the prosecutors
2) the evidence presented is entirely up to the prosecutors
3) the proceedings and records are sealed so there is no way to check if prosecutors misrepresent the law or facts
3) there is no requirement to present or concede any potentially exonerating or exculpatory evidence or theory
4) there is no cross examination of witnesses
5) all of these indictments have been generated in heavy concentration 'blue' jurisdictions

Anyway my point was not about 'how indictments work' except where the timing is concerned. And the fact that all of them have been generated to result in trial schedules that overlap the election season is no coincidence.
Those specific indictments involve a grand jury as per the charges presented, as is normal for the types of crimes he's being indicted for. Many crimes don't require a grand jury, but those specific ones do.

And no, it doesn't need counter evidence because that's for the defendants to supply during the trial, the indictment itself just needs evidence to reasonably allege a crime may have happened.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sure, but as said there's a good chance they're too late to matter. I highly doubt any of these trials will done before election day or the inauguration roll around. If trump makes it back into power via any means they'll ensure none of them will proceed fairly.
So far all of his trials are scheduled for May of 2024 or earlier, and Georgia is seeking a trial date within the next six months. A number of the charges he's facing would disqualify him from holding office under the fourteenth amendment, if convicted.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Imagine voting for a presidential candidate who is only running to try to keep himself out of jail.

Not to mention he's potentially facing down multiple life sentences here, being indicted two or even three years ago would not have saved his ass.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: KingVamp

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far all of his trials are scheduled for May of 2024 or earlier, and Georgia is seeking a trial date within the next six months. A number of the charges he's facing would disqualify him from holding office under the fourteenth amendment, if convicted.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Imagine voting for a presidential candidate who is only running to try to keep himself out of jail.

Not to mention he's potentially facing down multiple life sentences here, being indicted two or even three years ago would not have saved his ass.

You say it's "don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

I say it's much more like Beria's "Show me the man and I'll show you the crime." All of these indictments came after Trump announced he would run again. If he'd have been willing to just fade away, I doubt the Democrats would've bothered with this effort to prosecute one man in four different jurisdictions all at once.

I expect President Trump will dodge most but not all of these bullets. And I expect he will serve out a sentence of probation, never seeing the inside of a cell. And I expect much more of this banana republic shit from both parties. This is just getting started.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
All of these indictments came after Trump announced he would run again.
They're all indictments we've known were coming for years, and "campaign season" starts two years before an election. It's a weak attempt at scrambling for cover, and even his supporters are getting tired of the grift which is why his donations are drying up.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say it's "don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

I say it's much more like Beria's "Show me the man and I'll show you the crime." All of these indictments came after Trump announced he would run again. If he'd have been willing to just fade away, I doubt the Democrats would've bothered with this effort to prosecute one man in four different jurisdictions all at once.

I expect President Trump will dodge most but not all of these bullets. And I expect he will serve out a sentence of probation, never seeing the inside of a cell. And I expect much more of this banana republic shit from both parties. This is just getting started.

trump wont go to prison, maddow already leaked the plan from the start. They want exactly what you said, they want him to fade away, let them steal money and do what they are gonna do while we all bicker with each other, and thats exactly whats gonna happen. In a commie New York Court and a commie county in georgia theres no way out for trump, florida, 50-50, the point is, not even teflon don is gonna escape from this, and theyll make a deal with him, go away, avoid trouble, and he will.
Post automatically merged:

They're all indictments we've known were coming for years, and "campaign season" starts two years before an election. It's a weak attempt at scrambling for cover, and even his supporters are getting tired of the grift which is why his donations are drying up.

how would you know? you dont live in the US

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A. I live in Colorado you insufferable dipshit.
B. Even if I didn't, the rest of the world also has news outlets, and they're far better informed on these matters than someone supporting a traitorous mobster for president.

Party of "law and order" my ass.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you know you can just look up the laws of other places on the internet? I know it sounds hard to believe but most governments around the world have pages they host where they not just print every law text they have, they also generally provide a lot of other information on various topics like elections, taxes, travel, health, businesses, job safety, immigration, emigration, education, and much more.
That's still only a few months left from the start of the trial, and none of them are likely to be done quickly. Trump and his cohorts will almost certainly try to delay everything as much as possible, likely hoping they can use that to garner more support.

We'll see how it goes but I remain skeptical about wether or not it will actually lead to anything substantial.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's still only a few months left from the start of the trial, and none of them are likely to be done quickly. Trump and his cohorts will almost certainly try to delay everything as much as possible, likely hoping they can use that to garner more support.
His only chance was delaying the start of the trials beyond November, and none of the judges want a case this high-profile on their docket for that long. Even if getting a verdict takes a month or two each, his sentences would take effect immediately thereafter. The sheer volume of evidence against him is rather staggering, 11 million documents in the January 6th case alone.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A. I live in Colorado you insufferable dipshit.
B. Even if I didn't, the rest of the world also has news outlets, and they're far better informed on these matters than someone supporting a traitorous mobster for president.

Party of "law and order" my ass.

A. Well you either lied before or are lying now when you said you didnt live in the US, either way that makes your current states suspicious at best you insufferable dipshit

B. Sure but the problem is then you get a skewed perspective of whats actually happening in the world, unless you are implying the news never lies? Also need a source on joe biden being a mobster, yes im aware he was paid alot of money under the table, that hardly makes him a mobster, traitorous perhaps, but not a mobster

party of "common sense" my ass.
Post automatically merged:

Did you know you can just look up the laws of other places on the internet? I know it sounds hard to believe but most governments around the world have pages they host where they not just print every law text they have, they also generally provide a lot of other information on various topics like elections, taxes, travel, health, businesses, job safety, immigration, emigration, education, and much more.

We'll see how it goes but I remain skeptical about wether or not it will actually lead to anything substantial.

well , lets hope you are right! for all of our sakes!

yes i did know that, though i will say i do find it pretty racist to assume everyone in the world has a firm grasp on english, and is hardly inclusive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto