Too old for playing or too stressed?

oriam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am playing games (mostly Nintendo) for nearly 30 years. I have a huge library. It's crazy when you calculate all the money spend on the different systems.

Nowadays, I have due too different reasons mostly no time to play. I buy the games, because I know I liked to play that genre earlier. Sometimes I even get hyped to play. I play a little bit, but because I can play only every couple of days (sometimes the time between one session and another is weeks) I don't have fun to play. Playing seems to be another task that has to be done. I even have a couple of switch games unwrapped in the shelf.

Am I getting too old? Or am I just to stressed currently too really enjoy a game? Ever had that feeling?
Post automatically merged:

Sorry, I just noticed the was a typo on the title :(.

I wanted to write: "Too old for playing or too stressed?" I don't know how to change the title.

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As you get older, the main benefit from playing games is keeping your critical thinking active.

Some of the people in the generational cohort you're in will have cognitive decline earlier than you're expecting. You'll not quite realise that being around their cognitive decline is wrecking your critical thinking. Playing games keeps the gears of the human brain oiled.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I think it's two different things.

1. After playing games for 30+ years you have pretty much played every genre of game, so it's very rare something truly unique and innovative comes along.

2. Today the games industry just milk games to death, if a game sells well their will be a new game in the series every year / every other year. Call of Duty and Need for Speed are both great examples of this, the earlier games in each of these franchises we're amazing at the time, now theirs so many of them I've just totally lost interest and do not feel like I'm missing out at all. Gears of War and Halo also went this way in my opinion, just not to the extremes of CoD and NFS.

I think it's sill possible for games to innovate however, Pokemon Go for example was a totally unique style of game i'd never played anything like before and have kept placing it pretty much daily since 2016. I don't have to dedicate a lot of time to it if i don't want and can generally play amongst doing other things. As an added bonus I walk way more than I would have, which is great for someone who is sat down all day for work.

I've probably purchased 1-2 games this year. No regrets at all, im happy working on my Pokemon collection in my free time, as I do enjoy that.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am playing games (mostly Nintendo) for nearly 30 years. I have a huge library. It's crazy when you calculate all the money spend on the different systems.

Nowadays, I have due too different reasons mostly no time to play. I buy the games, because I know I liked to play that genre earlier. Sometimes I even get hyped to play. I play a little bit, but because I can play only every couple of days (sometimes the time between one session and another is weeks) I don't have fun to play. Playing seems to be another task that has to be done. I even have a couple of switch games unwrapped in the shelf.

Am I getting too old? Or am I just to stressed currently too really enjoy a game? Ever had that feeling?

Sorry, I just noticed the was a typo on the title :(.

I wanted to write: "Too old for playing or too stressed?" I don't know how to change the title.
Buy games and don't finish is normal, many do that, it just means you have money to spare. Sometimes I buy game and never even run it once.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to hormones people think of women but men have hormones too. I had a hormone imbalance of low testosterone and high estrogen for a guy. Got on testosterone and an estrogen blocker and I feel like I'm in my 20s again (I'm 42). You might want to consider going to a doctor and having your testosterone levels checked. It can help with focus, energy and being more positive.

Last edited by Jayinem,

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
To me personally I need to choose games based on not just on what I like and don't like but also on what fits in with my lifestyle. I'm a chef so I don't have the time or energy for challenging games like Dark Souls. I don't have time for 100+ hour RPGs either. Easy games are more enjoyable at the end of stressful days while I may find them boring on my days off.

Zero2kXp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am having the same issue, but the way I see it, now days games are just to see not to play, but nothing that can keep me playing, and with life/work/wife/family, time is something I use to turn off my brain and sleep.
ohh did I mention how games now are all just mehhh ;p

Last edited by Zero2kXp,
Reactions: Patxinco

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Have the same problem, just turning 40 years old.
Now it take me more time to finish games, I only play single player games.
No time and intrest to play multi player games. After work I'm tired and must do another things.
I'm glad we don't have kids, but i game I do it 4 a 5 hours at onc ;)

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Was discussing the same situation with my friends the other night. I'm too tired mentally. World just keeps pushing me issues on my brain, leaving "free time" nearly to zero, and when i'm having actual time, can't focus on gaming.
The only game i'm playing constantly nowadays is NMS, since there's 0 rush on doing things, is actually refreshing to just popup in the game and say "oh, i have the mine mid done, let's do some more!" bringing an acomplishment on actually finishing something with no pressure at all (or not, just thinking next time i'll finish it!!).
Life's a b****!!

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sent time looking up games I wanted to download to play and now I just don't because I'm just bored/tired. Some other day, I suppose.

Hell, my 3DS hasn't been booted up in months and my DS Lite maybe 2-3 years ago. I sold my OLED Vita (really cool console) recently.

It's a bit fun downloading, organizing, and then compressing them (WinRAR has an option to do it for all individually).

Buy games and don't finish is normal, many do that, it just means you have money to spare. Sometimes I buy game and never even run it once.
I bought Hotshot Racing a few months ago for very cheap on PS4 and while the gameplay is fun and graphics look nice, I absolutely hated the aggressive bots. Just ruined the fun for me.

Didn't bother completing the stages on hard mode because the bots felt like they were always cheating by bumping me off the track or catching up almost instantly. 😑

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As you get older, it becomes harder to not fall into the trap of thinking that anything "not productive" is a waste of time, and that the only things which are "productive" are those that make you money. It's difficult to genuinely have fun when in the back of your mind you're focused more on ignoring stress from everything else happening in your life, and when we forget how to have fun, we forget how to be human.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol