Tony Hawk sends out texts saying that Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2 "are coming back"

s-l600.jpg

Likely confirming the months-long rumor of there being a remaster in the pipeline, Tony Hawk himself has begun sending out text messages through his mobile newsletter confirming that Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2 are coming back. This would be the first sign of life regarding the series following the critically panned Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5. Activision will possibly officially announce the remasters today with more information, but what we know for now is that both THPS 1 and 2 are getting re-released, featuring their original music, skaters, and maps, along with "new features".

:arrow: Source

UPDATE:

The game has now been formally announced, showing off the boxart. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 will release on September 4, 2020. It'll be available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Epic Games Store. The remastered will cost $39.99, while a digital deluxe edition is priced at $49.99. Those who pre-order will get to access a bonus demo to be released in the coming weeks.

Vicarious Visions, the team behind the Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy will be behind this remake.

Dropping in on September 4, 2020, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 is set to bring back original levels, pro skaters, tricks, modes, and songs from the iconic soundtrack, as well as amp up the experience with new ways to play including online Multiplayer.

Same Tony, New Tricks

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 will feature the full original roster of pro skaters from the turn of the 21st century. That includes Steve Caballero, Geoff Rowley, Bucky Lasek, Elissa Steamer, Kareem Campbell, Andrew Reynolds, Bob Burnquist, Eric Koston, Rodney Mullen, Jamie Thomas, Rune Glifberg, Chad Muska… and of course, Tony Hawk.

These skaters all come with their own Special Moves—from Geoff Rowley’s Darkside Grind to Tony Hawk’s legendary 900—and have learned a few new tricks over the past two decades, including the Revert, Lip Tricks, and the Wall Plant, allowing you to pull off incredible combos like never before.

The remaster will also feature all the original levels from the first two games in the franchise, from the Warehouse to The Bullring, as well as many of the songs from the original games to amp you up while you go for that Sick Score. Those levels can be played solo with goals old and new, with a buddy for local co-op, or online with original multiplayer game modes.

All of this will be presented in stunning 4K resolution* with updated and enhanced graphics, running at a frame rate crisper than a perfect 50-50 grind: 60 frames per second.

Create-A-Skater and Create-A-Park Return, Revamped

Rather carve up your own park with a skater you created? Create-A-Skater and Create-A-Park are back with some dope features added in.

Create-A-Park will feature a robust editing suite, enabling an incredible level of customization to create the skate park of your wildest imaginations. These parks can be shared online with friends.

After you create a park, why not create yourself—or a friend… or one gnarly looking poser—in Create-A-Skater? With plenty of customization options, including some that feature iconic skating and street brands, you’ll be able to express a crazy amount of creativity just in your custom skater alone.

The Limited-Edition Birdhouse Deck

For the ultimate fan, a collector’s edition will be available for the suggested retail price of $99.99 in the United States, complete with the digital deluxe content and a limited-run Birdhouse deck.

The deck features the iconic Falcon 2 design, reissued exclusively for the collector’s edition. Although the deck is fully skateable, you may not want to hit too many gnarly grinds with it, as it also features a printed autograph from the birdman himself.

Pre-Order Information

• Digital Pre-Order Incentive – Those who digitally pre-order Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 will receive access to the Warehouse Demo ahead of the games’ official launch. Expect to catch some air in the Warehouse level during the Summer, with an exact date to be announced later.
  • Physical Pre-Order Bonus – Those who pre-order a physical copy of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 from select retailers will receive a limited edition gift with purchase, the Tony Hawk Mini Fingerboard, at launch. This gift with purchase is available exclusively at GameStop (in the United States), EB Games (in Canada), and select retailers in LATAM, Europe, and Australia, while supplies last.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re:music. Even the Dead Kennedys? I had a quick scan of the various lawsuits there but this one might take a while.

How do these compare to Skate 3? Somehow I've never played a Tony Hawk game, but I loved Skate 3.

As mentioned comparing is hard. Even more so here as I can't go backwards;

I played the console first, second, third and fourth when they were new, and for years after that. THUG at the time as well and most of the ones after that in the years since. Easily a thousand hours on the franchise. Where the series peaked is a matter for debate (this was full bore Activision riding the money train to the scene of the crash) but most will probably end up in a fight between 3 and 4 (for me 4 better engine, 3 better feel to it all), a few freaks might say American Wasteland actually has some merit in classic mode (It does, though I am not inclined to put it up with 3 or 4. The DS entry that went along with it was not bad either, personally I never got along with the GBA games but they have their fans too) and there might be a contrarian that goes for 2 (it is not a position you can't defend). The franchise's rise and fall has been chronicled in a thousand articles, videos and more besides if you are curious. Here is one I don't particularly like but gets me thinking at least.

Also did the various BMX games (some of their levels were great, better than THPS titles) but I will skip those for now, and MTV Skateboarding and most of the others you can see on the older parts of https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPvezvbiPZ7Cov54JcoOy6p3baXDM-5sk for that matter.
Have not played Session yet, and that will probably be one of the big competitors.

I picked up Skate with Skate 2 and did 3 later as well when it eventually dropped. Play Skate 3 to this day and it is never out of my stack of games beside the monitor, 2 would be there as well by my brother is borrowing it.

The controls for Skate eclipse Tony Hawk games if I am after something I find rewarding, something I find relaxing, or something I find just straight fun, and its gameplay is not bad. Were it not for the symptoms of EA's presence (who has local play removed for a sequel and then sells it back to people as DLC? Oh and tries to sell an unlock cheat as DLC... ) then if 2 and 3 collided along with all their DLC I would not need another skateboarding game probably ever.
I then played 4 a few months back on the gamecube when I was trying to remember what fun with games was like (much on the gamecube still holds up well). I can still play it, have some fun, do some tricks but it is lacking something for me now... shallow is not the word I am looking for but heading in the right way.
I am also not sure what the new devs can do to perk it up as 1 and 2 lacked some fairly fundamental things (no manuals and reverts in 1 for one thing) which also went to level design. Even if they do something there then without the flow and skill in execution (others that never played skate you move the stick, in a fairly natural way, to do tricks but also has to be reasonably precise) Skate brings I can't see this staying true to the form of the series. If they are bold enough to do dual move sets then maybe.
I am not going to say don't do it, and it is not like some games where things aged out, but just no. I mentioned in an earlier post that you can get a kind of tour de force of much of the best of it in a PC mod of Tony Hawk Underground 2 called THUG Pro. That might be a good place to start.
http://thugpro.com/
https://tonyhawkgames.fandom.com/wiki/THUG_Pro
Alternatively if we are allowed back into the world now I do usually see the Tony Hawk games litter shelves like so many annual football games when going around places doing second hand games so pick up 3 or 4 if you want.

Reactions: Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope that this features ray-tracing.

I really want it to have ray-tracing and I really want the ray-tracing to be worthwhile and work really well.

Unlike crappy ray-tracing in Battlefield V for example. They should do good ray-tracing like in Metro.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely Going To Grab These .... strange timing for me actually all this week i have been using the PS3 Emulator on PC to play Skate 3 and other Tony Hawks Games ...... which play perfectly why on earth didnt the SKATE games come out on PC ........ ah well .......... Tony Hawks 5 was so bad i thought it doomed the series ...........so glad to see them return ......... now come on with Skate 4 PLEASE ~!!~ On PC ~!~!~~!

gbazone

Trophies
XP
Country
95% chance they fuck up the physics engine and make it nearly unplayable.

Like the Xbox 360 remake. They used the Unreal engine! Unrelated, but they really screwed up the Battlefield 1942 remake on Xbox as well.

Reactions: Xzi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I might well have missed it but did not catch a revert in that. Manuals and arcade feel (when you are grinding 20m around a corner on a flat quarter section or overshooting on an air to land on a nice grind...) though so that is nice.
Looks like they have some good movement as well -- when the player is almost pumping on a ramp despite no need to that usually means a decent flow.
Bails look amusing but I wonder at the length given to them.

The special sound going off every time you do a 360 shove or double flip it is going to get tiresome as well. Though I guess that also means some kind of multi press trick setup like some later games to do enhanced/extra versions of a trick.

Graphics wise. I don't know if I am convinced. Not bad and certainly not an "I'm out" but not necessarily the way I would head if I am making a continuation/homage/throwback. Nice lighting though.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-soundtrack-list-announced
A official soundtrack list has been released.

The soundtrack list is as follows:

1. “Police Truck” by the Dead Kennedys
  2. “Superman” by Goldfinger
  3. “Jerry Was a Race Car Driver” by Primus
  4. “New Girl” by The Suicide Machines
  5. “Here and Now” by The Ernies
  6. “Euro-Barge” by The Vandals
  7. “Blood Brothers” by Papa Roah
  8. “Guerrilla Radio” by Rage Against the Machine
  9. “Pin the Tail on the Donkey” by Naughty by Nature
  10. “You” by Bad Religion
  11. “When Worlds Collide” by Powerman 5000
  12. “No Cigar” by Millencolin
  13. “Cyclone” by Dub Pistols
  14. “May 16” by Lagwagon
  15. “Subculture – Dieslboy + Kaos VIP” by Styles of Beyond and Dieselboy + Kaos
  16. “Heavy Metal Winner” by Consumed
  17. “Evil Eye” by Fu Manchu
  18. “Five Lessons Learned” by Swingin’ Utters

Not included in the re-release:

• Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
    • “Screamer / Nothing to Me” by Speedealer
    • “Cyco Vision” by Suicidal Tendencies
    • “Committed” by Unsane
  • Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
    • “Bring the Noise” by Anthrax & Public Enemy
    • “B-Boy Document ’99” by The High & Mighty, Mos Def, and Mad Skillz
    • “Out With the Old” by Alley Life

Reactions: Xzi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did wonder if we were going to get some of the PAL extras.

Also what a timeline we live in that they got Dead Kennedys but not Suicidal Tendencies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.