Thoughts on Resident Evil 6?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this is certainly disappointing to say the least. Obviously reviews aren't the be all, end all on a game's quality, but it certainly isn't encouraging.

Though I do find it weird how much Ada Wong's character design has changed. For comparison. What the hell happened there?

Reactions: 2 people

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I, for one, don't agree with the reviews. I have loved all the Resident Evil games I've played (RE 4, 5, 6, 0, 1, and Revelations). 6 seems like a mix of 4 and 5 so far, which is AWESOME, for me. Just my 2 cents anyway, but whatever.
I've played all of the canonical games (0, 1, 2, 3, CVX, 4, 5). The only non-canonical game I've played is ORC. I have the Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles HD on PSN and Revelations on 3DS, but haven't had time to touch them.

I've been following the series since 1997, so it's just frustrating when you've been a loyal fan of the series for 15 years and they're not delivering the same game formula you fell in love with. I know some would argue that it's great that they're trying new ideas to keep the gameplay fresh, but look at Pokemon. It's the same damn game every generation, but if the current B2/W2 thread is any indication, fans love the same formula.

I miss the idea of choosing which zombies to shoot and which to run by because there simply aren't enough bullets in the game to kill everything. RE4 changed that, but at least they nailed the atmosphere. I played the demo of RE6 and when I got to Chris' demo campaign, I thought: "Are these zombies seriously shooting at me with machine guns right now? Seriously??"
Well, this is certainly disappointing to say the least. Obviously reviews aren't the be all, end all on a game's quality, but it certainly isn't encouraging.

Though I do find it weird how much Ada Wong's character design has changed. For comparison. What the hell happened there?
I know, right? She could pass for a Caucasian in the new pic.

Reactions: 1 person

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here. I dont need the review nor someone else's opinion.The review and someone's opinion is just an opinions and inaccurate, thats all. By the way, I liked the game and when I play the game and I decide for myself if its bad or not. I don't copying people or listening to people at all. My own taste and my own decision after the game. ;)

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kotaku: Our source says versus 13 is canned"

You can ignore them, they only post crap for site hits
Why is it that whenever a news site says something someone disagrees with, the response is always, "oh, it's X site, they got this one thing wrong, so they can't be trusted on anything"? News sites are made up of MANY more writers/journalists than just that one (or few) that make occasional mistakes, you know. Not to mention that there's no telling how long after the reporter in question is still around.

Famitsu are institutionally shit.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

What are you on about? They said it was a rumor, just like how GBAtemp posts a bunch of rumors all the time from other sites. Don't be stupid.

On Topic: Now, is this a bad game, or is this a bad resident evil game? Because there's a huge difference there.

Reactions: 1 person

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What are you on about? They said it was a rumor, just like how GBAtemp posts a bunch of rumors all the time from other sites. Don't be stupid.

On Topic: Now, is this a bad game, or is this a bad resident evil game? Because there's a huge difference there.
I say bad RE game if you like the old style and horror.

Reactions: Rasas

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I miss the idea of choosing which zombies to shoot and which to run by because there simply aren't enough bullets in the game to kill everything. RE4 changed that, but at least they nailed the atmosphere. I played the demo of RE6 and when I got to Chris' demo campaign, I thought: "Are these zombies seriously shooting at me with machine guns right now? Seriously??"
So basically, it's nothing like resident evil but the name and the characters? (and arguably not even the latter)

Yeah...no wonder the review scores are all over the place. The players who are used to fast paced shooters probably hate exactly those things you liked about it. And that means a review can be good or bad depending on what appeals to you in gaming in general.

I won't lie: I'm one of those guys. I never got the hype around RE4. I'm glad it's there and that it is (apparently) awesome, but it's just not a game for me. For me, it's just too slow paced.

But I really don't see why capcom is trying to build RE6 for players like me. It's not like I'm going to give it a chance even if it was the perfect game for me...exactly because I played RE4 and didn't like it: if a game that has all that critic and user praise doesn't appeal to me personally, one of the same franchise that gets mixed results is dismissed as "not a game for me" even faster.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rumor or not they acted like it was true with their "anonymous source" So it can easily beg the question if Kotaku is just ragging on the game to get site hits.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Rumor or not they acted like it was true with their "anonymous source" So it can easily beg the question if Kotaku is just ragging on the game to get site hits.

No they didn't.

Kamiyama

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Only thing I hate in this game is that there's always a flag where you need to go. Also with press of button there's even big arrow to show how you get around a chair. All that because players of these days just don't wanna think ANYTHING. Also that health and pill system sucks. Without those this is pretty solid game otherwise.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me from what I've played of the game it is mostly meh with some good parts but also some truly awful parts dragging it down. It feels too much like a Michael Bay movie (only with a better story :P) and there is a good game in there...it's just really bloated! They've gone for a quantity over quality here and overall the game feels like it is lacking in direction. I get a feeling that they probably went over budget on this game so just continued with what they had rather than spend more time and money on it and cut the fat off and streamlined it.

Personally it's a 5.5/10, I'd say it was just as meh as RE5 and that's only if you have someone to play it with. Single player, I am completely underwhelmed by everything and it's hard to even be bothered to want to play it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally it's a 5.5/10, I'd say it was just as meh as RE5 and that's only if you have someone to play it with. Single player, I am completely underwhelmed by everything and it's hard to even be bothered to want to play it.

I have pondered such things for a while- I really enjoyed RE4 as something resembling a horror game (the boat and lock in the house sections being awesome) and somehow ended up playing RE5 co-op to this day (not done RE6 yet and probably will not for a while), but on reflection I seem to treat RE5 not unlike I do the House of the Dead arcade games, albeit without the dubious fun of holding an undersized plastic shotgun, and looking at it like that sees it work for me.

As for RE6 I was pretty interested and then E3 happened- the footage there where they were outrunning a plane made Army of Two look pretty tame which is not what I was really after for such a title.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I may be speaking prematurely, but from what I've seen so far, ZombiU is a lot more atmospheric and representative of what I would consider to be a "survival horror." It's looking really good. In fact, I wasn't interested in the WiiU until I saw this title. The more I see of it, the more I want to get a WiiU on launch. The developers of RE could learn a thing or two from this game about "survival horror." Ironic, considering RE once defined the genre.

*EDIT*
Changed the title of the thread so as not to sound all inflammatory and crap. I don't mean to piss on peoples' opinions of RE6 if they like the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1