There a Reliable Source to Obtain Internal Resolution Information for Games?

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title implies, I am wanting to find information on the internal resolutions of various games on the Nintendo Switch. Googling around I can't seem to get concrete or accurate answers, and if I find any for certain games, there is information that conflicts with each other, and it's hard to find what is what as a result of this. While I can assume everything to be 720p or 1080p in respective form, I know that isn't inherently the case, games tend to be upscaled to fit both within the respective conditions. So I want to know the precise internal resolutions if possible, I appreciate the help I can get with finding this information.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As the title implies, I am wanting to find information on the internal resolutions of various games on the Nintendo Switch. Googling around I can't seem to get concrete or accurate answers, and if I find any for certain games, there is information that conflicts with each other, and it's hard to find what is what as a result of this. While I can assume everything to be 720p or 1080p in respective form, I know that isn't inherently the case, games tend to be upscaled to fit both within the respective conditions. So I want to know the precise internal resolutions if possible, I appreciate the help I can get with finding this information.
My graphics cheat database has resolution cheats for a lot of games. You can tell on the list if it has a monitor icon and theb click through and you can see the default handheld and docked resolution listed in the cheat. For Unreal 4 games with default RRS means the maximum dynamic resolution possible in either handheld or docked as labelled.

These should be highly accurate the only game that has a misleading resolution cheat to my knowledge on there is Dragon Quest Monsters because it renders not the full requested resolution for some odd reason. But it wouldn't surprise me if maybe 1 or 2 aren't 'accurate' because I can't remember them all.

EDIT: I think also Xeno 3 is interlaced or something like that and blends frames together to 1080p isn't real 1080p.

Last edited by ChanseyIsTheBest,

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My graphics cheat database has resolution cheats for a lot of games. You can tell on the list if it has a monitor icon and theb click through and you can see the default handheld and docked resolution listed in the cheat. For Unreal 4 games with default RRS means the maximum dynamic resolution possible in either handheld or docked as labelled.

These should be highly accurate the only game that has a misleading resolution cheat to my knowledge on there is Dragon Quest Monsters because it renders not the full requested resolution for some odd reason. But it wouldn't surprise me if maybe 1 or 2 aren't 'accurate' because I can't remember them all.

EDIT: I think also Xeno 3 is interlaced or something like that and blends frames together to 1080p isn't real 1080p.
I have no idea about the cheat side of things with the Switch, I don't even have a hacked Switch, and I don't use Switch emulators either, no idea what this monitor icon you speak of is. Was kind of hoping for something like an excel document or Google document of some sort with the games listed. I just wanted original internal resolutions, nothing more.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have no idea about the cheat side of things with the Switch, I don't even have a hacked Switch, and I don't use Switch emulators either, no idea what this monitor icon you speak of is. Was kind of hoping for something like an excel document or Google document of some sort with the games listed. I just wanted original internal resolutions, nothing more.
You don't need to know about cheats or have a hacked switch or use emulators.

https://github.com/ChanseyIsTheBest/NX-60FPS-RES-GFX-Cheats/blob/main/GAMES.md

There's no central resource with that info to my knowledge this is the best you are going to get.

I circled the symbol for you. Click on the version and look at the cheats and find on version. You will find cheats that say default handheld or default docked resolution. This is the internal rendering resolution or highest dynamic resolution rendering resolution for handheld or docked. Default means the default resolution with no modifications to the game at all. (Meaning this is rendering resolution or highest dynamic rendering resolution on an UNMODIFIED Switch)

1000003747.png

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's using FSR. In docked it goes up to 544p iirc and it's upscaled to 1080p (Not 540p because I guess after multiplying by 2 each dimension either resolution dimensions must be divisible by 16 like for swizzled textures or/and edge pixels have artifacts and they can remove those pixels). Dunno about handheld. There is a mod that disables FSR and sets true 1080p.

Interlaced is Super Mario Odyssey.

And it's also worth remembering that game doesn't need to reach min and max res, that's why you can see a difference in what people are finding in code and f.e. what Digital Foundry observes. I think the most surprising is that according to DF Batman Arkham Asylum is using DR while I have not found any evidence of that, even found how to enable it in code + config and by default it's disabled.

Also there are games like Horizon Chase 2 that is using DR to set fixed lower res instead of using screenpercentage by setting timing to 60 FPS while game is locked to 30 FPS, so it's always sitting at the min resolution.

If you plan to create such sheet, I guess you will find some people that will update it while working on their mods / cheats.

Something like
Title (titleid)Version(s) Handheld configuration (+ observable) Docked configuration (+ observable)Source + CommentsContributors

Last edited by masagrator,
Reactions: ChanseyIsTheBest

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch