Hacking Theme Brick Help Requested

Archius_Pendragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen plenty of forum posts about a theme brick causing a black screen.
I don't have priiloader (more specifically, it doesn't appear to be launching), nor BootMii as Boot2 (only IOS). I /DO/ have NAND Backups, (3, actually, once per year, all pretty much identical, but it never hurts to have redundancies).

Now, I installed a theme, and, rather than giving me this solid black screen everyone else seems to have, I have a purple, black, and green striping going vertically across my screen, that appears to 'jitter' at about 3/4's of the way up the screen.

Now, I've moved over to the Dolphin Emulator (More specifically, Valdikipn's AMD build), so I'm fine, but I wanted to grab my save files off the GC cards and the Wii's data (So I don't have to restart and attempt to /legitimately/ obtain all the extra's in Metroid Prime Trilogy).

First off, has anyone ran into a similar theme brick instance (the purple,black, and green (in order of colour amount) appearance).

More info: The "Health and Safety" warning never shows up, so it's not reaching the System Menu, however, pressing A has seemingly no effect (Either the change the theme made to the HnS screen broke it, or some silly such thing). I'm not sure how to bypass this.

Black Wii, no hardmodded chip, DVD Drive /not/ capable of running burnt DVD's. Tempted to try my hand at NAND reprogramming ( I've done work with FPGA boards and Arduino's before, shouldn't be horrendously difficult to grasp ), but I was hunting for an easier way to get my data back, as the NAND Reprogramming will most definitely remove my save data.

yes, it says 466
Trophies
Website
466frfx.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why... You have BootMii IOS, but not Priiloader? You think BootMii IOS is reliable? If you installed Priiloader, you could've installed the original theme with Wii-Themer, but nope. I'm pretty sure you get a warning that you should have Priiloader installed before installing any theme. Why? Why would you do this?

In other words, your Wii is the equivalent of a full brick. Game Over.

Archius_Pendragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I /had/ or, have, PriiLoader, It just appears that it isn't working. It's not entirely non-salvageable, I could still Nand reprogram it, assuming I get the resources to do so, and have a functional wii again, It is merely that I'd lose my save data doing so.

My main question is has anyone ran into the similar screen I've received, as all the reports I've read so far about Theme bricks are that they produce a black screen, Whilst mine has the tri-colour cake of delicious bugs and Priiloader won't boot.

I have tried SaveMiiFrii, it gave me the system menu version, however, without a modchip and a drive capable of playing burnt disks, I see no feesible way for me to unbrick it at this point, lest there is some magically hidden method of booting from a USB drive or the SD card via SaveMiiFrii that no-one's spoken of yet. Not sure which will be less expensive in the long run, new drive + modchip, grabbing Nand reprogramming gear, or just throwing it at Nintendo and letting them repair it/Replace it.

I know BootMii as IOS isn't an anti-brick device. I did make a NAND backup however. I used MyMenuify to do the theming. And, as stated (if you read my post) I /had/ Priiloader installed, and it does /not/ launch. Something tells me that the theme itself was not entirely the fault.
Regardless, I have Gecko codes working on Dolphin games now, so in all reality, I don't even need the save data anymore. I can just re-beat the games.

yes, it says 466
Trophies
Website
466frfx.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You should use Wii-Themer for themes. It asks you if you want to install the original theme. If you try to install an incorrect theme, it won't let you. :/

I've got a pack of working DarkWii themes, if you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom