The PlayStation 2 celebrates its 20th anniversary today

Png.png

Following up on the day after the Nintendo Switch celebrated its third year since release, another console is also celebrating its own significant anniversary. Turning 20 years old today is the PlayStation 2, a beloved system, and the most popular gaming console of all time. The PS2 was first released in Japan on March 4, 2000, with a launch lineup of games like Street Fighter EX3, Ridge Racer V, Kessen, and eight other titles. While the initial games available for release in Japan might seem underwhelming to some, the PlayStation 2 would go on to offer games that wowed audiences, and ones that defined the industry, such as Grand Theft Auto III, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, God of War, Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Silent Hill 2, and so, so many more.

Retailing for ¥39,800, or $/£299.99 in the west, the PlayStation 2 drew attention for not only being a gaming system, but its ability to play DVDs, as well. Though it may not have been the most powerful console out of its sixth-generation rivals, it more than made up for it with its massive game library and media center capabilities. As was common at the time, in order to save your game progress, you'd need to have a memory card, and for those who wanted to be in on the cutting edge of online gaming at the time, you could pick up a network adapter, both sold separately.

So, happy 20th anniversary, PlayStation 2! What are your favorite memories with the console?

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the point of all the games in the world if you dont have time to play them? lol

the ps2, 6th gen, and even 5th gen, did seem like the height of creativity and risk taking for consoles

I really miss it.

DLC's, and treating each franchise like its own ecosystem and day 1 40GB updates really hasn't settled well with me personally. Nevermind from an archivist POV, these games are going to be a nightmare / not hold up

Last edited by playstays_shun,

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I've felt more hype in my life than wanting that which I couldn't have especially after having a blast with my run of PS1. The PS2 holiday shortages were realer than real because of that custom SoC

Still managed to have a family member get the only one that came in at a Toys R Us after waiting outside an hour before they opened and insisting they 'double check' they didn't get any stock for the day. It was fate!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hows that net box working out?
Does what it promises - that is, to provide a standalone and (higher performance than USB1) storage option for OPL, SMS, and Popstarter

However, since it's an original (as in invented from scratch) device, it requires special builds of those homebrews especially supporting it - which won't be updated anymore since they're (illegally) closed source and the maker called it quits after a couple months - top chinesium! :D

Last edited by Ryccardo,

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does what it promises - that is, to provide a standalone and (higher performance than USB2) storage option for OPL, SMB, and Popstarter

However, since it's an original (as in invented from scratch) device, it requires special builds of those homebrews especially supporting it - which won't be updated anymore since they're (illegally) closed source and the maker called it quits after a couple months - top chinesium! :D

ah I think I vaguely remember hearing something like that.

so only certain versions of OPL work with it? Thats unfortunate since OPL always seems to be updated even still

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so only certain versions of OPL work with it?
Yep, just like the two current, not directly linked but cooperating, versions of OPL (the official psx-place one and the "daily builds" ps2-home one), there's the discontinued abittop version, the only one to support PS2USB2.0 and PS2NetBox

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are funny. I was around PS2 when I was late teenagers. No, those lists were what I was after. I don't care about the large games. I admit I might missed some good games but I was not heavy gamer of PS2 at the time, you know.

Don't care about large games but you listed large games? Missed "some" good games? I think a better term would have been "tons of". I just can't get on board that you found such such an incredibly small list of games you could enjoy from nearly 2,000 titles. I still stand by my statement. :)

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, just like the two current, not directly linked but cooperating, versions of OPL (the official psx-place one and the "daily builds" ps2-home one), there's the discontinued abittop version, the only one to support PS2USB2.0 and PS2NetBox

even though I don't keep up with dailies, that would be a deal breaker for me! still, net box is probably the best solution for the slim even so

SMB latency was annoying as hell with my mini router

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't care about large games but you listed large games? Missed "some" good games? I think a better term would have been "tons of". I just can't get on board that you found such such an incredibly small list of games you could enjoy from nearly 2,000 titles. I still stand by my statement. :)

LOL! Thats all I can say to you. :creep:

Pupp3t_31

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hows that net box working out? I ended up going phat and SATA network adapter for nostalgia, but if I stuck with my silver slim 9000 I would've considered net box. a cheap usb mini router and SMB was slow as heck by comparison I got tired of it

I think netbox is supposed to mitigate SMB latency though and make it closer to the level of internal HD performance but I haven't heard a ton about it. I know its custom made by one guy

It's great compared to the speeds booting from USB, plus the ability to use ExFat and not having to split files was also a huge plus. Only a few negatives things like some compatibility issues with some games. Then there are also not many themes that can be used with it. It also looks like the developer is no longer upgrading the code.
Currently, I'm working on adding a toggle to it, so I can switch it between having it as a USB or Networked.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's great compared to the speeds booting from USB, plus the ability to use ExFat and not having to split files was also a huge plus. Only a few negatives things like some compatibility issues with some games. Then there are also not many themes that can be used with it. It also looks like the developer is no longer upgrading the code.
Currently, I'm working on adding a toggle to it, so I can switch it between having it as a USB or Networked.

Ah yeah USB1.1 performance is dreadful, and splitting up games >4GB for Fat32 wasn't fun either. I didn't really like having to use up all USB ports for power though (one for external, one for mini USB router, and once every blue moon a boot wouldn't provide enough power to my 2.5" drive, causing it to not read and hiccup until I re-powered up the system)

I love that slim does have options, but by the end of the day unless you're really set on the slim , and tucking some HD solution away, I think fatty and all integrated is the way to go

I still will keep my slim as a backup / novelty collectors item. Mines silver and of Course on old FMCB-able bios :D which I don't think most are for the integrated PSU version.

Last edited by playstays_shun,
Reactions: Pupp3t_31

Pupp3t_31

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yeah USB1.1 performance is dreadful, and splitting up games >4GB for Fat32 wasn't fun either. I didn't really like having to use up all USB ports for power though (one for external, one for mini USB router, and once every blue moon a boot wouldn't provide enough power to my 2.5" drive, causing it to not read and hiccup until I re-powered up the system)

I love that slim does have options, but by the end of the day unless you're really set on the slim , and tucking some HD solution away, I think fatty and all integrated is the way to go

I still will keep my slim as a backup / novelty collectors item. Mines silver and of Course on old FMCB-able bios :D which I don't think most are for the integrated PSU version.

For power, I ran the wires internally and pulled power only from the USB ports. This way, I was able to keep the ports open and operable, but now with the toggle, I may have to sacrifice one.
But I agree it's becoming such a headache configuring the slim, it is way better to purchase the fat PS2 and using the internal HD slot.

Reactions: playstays_shun

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For power, I ran the wires internally and pulled power only from the USB ports. This way, I was able to keep the ports open and operable, but now with the toggle, I may have to sacrifice one.
But I agree it's becoming such a headache configuring the slim, it is way better to purchase the fat PS2 and using the internal HD slot.

yeah I think if you want to tuck it under a flat panel it makes some sense, but its still a lot of effort for subjective gains lol. Not a fan conceptually of a pieced together solution, much less practically. And I tried!

Reactions: Pupp3t_31

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I still own a couple of working PS2 slim models and definitely still have working games for them.

Alien Hominid was the game I first played on the thing, then of course a of fighting Dragon Ball Z games.

ZachariasBarnham

Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2006, hah! There were still PS2 games being made until the end of 2013.

The last new games for the console were Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin in Asia, FIFA 13 in North America, and Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 in Europe.

Still though, it was a great system. Lots of fun to be had, and that I did. I may not have my old PS2 anymore, but I did replace it late last year, and soft-modded it with help from you all here at GBATemp.

:grog:

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
2006, hah! There were still PS2 games being made until the end of 2013.

The last new games for the console were Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin in Asia, FIFA 13 in North America, and Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 in Europe.

Still though, it was a great system. Lots of fun to be had, and that I did. I may not have my old PS2 anymore, but I did replace it late last year, and soft-modded it with help from you all here at GBATemp.

:grog:
Ther was still good stuff in 2007 but the PS3 came about late 2006 so the fifas and pro evos don't count as on the newer machine anyway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan @I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu...