aiRWaLKRe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is to make their next system cloud based ( the console+games are at a data-center and not your home.) Unfortunately not everyone has access to stable, unlimited amounts of data broadband, thus the idea is not totally feasible, yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming

But just think about it. There is no way to hack/pirate a game free into your system when you don't have the console at your location all you will have is basically a modem/router with controller ports and audio+video hookups that logs into your account at the data-center. I'm a founding member of www.onlive.com cloud gaming system. I find it neat you can log into your account with a netbook and be able to play games that you would never be able to get to run at all on the netbook, at about up to 720p as it is now, but in the future it will only get better. I even got their little box that you can hook up to a tv and your router and play the games on the tv ( which costs $99 ) for free for being a founding member. So I could see cloud gaming becoming the way to play games in the future and totally eliminate hacking and piracy. It's just not technologically available to enough people to implemented on a large enough scale.

I highly doubt you would be able to make an account buy a game with a fake/stolen credit card. And be able to use it for very long. So it would be very very hard, next to impossible, to get a free game with a cloud gaming system.

Just imagine the awesome games that would get developed for a console when developers wouldn't lose any money from piracy of their games...

Thoughts on this? Discuss

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried onlive?

Well, it kinda works, but not that good, you will need really high speed internet to get the best out of it.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, no way. I do hope your business works good but developpers losing money on piracy vs this kind of subcription is another debate... a lot of devoppers don't like steam for being competitive so imagine if these kind of sytems sprout all over. This is not been wheel reinvented it has existed for many many years...

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
Have you tried onlive?

Well, it kinda works, but not that good, you will need really high speed internet to get the best out of it.
Did you even read what the OP posted. Or are you being sarcastic? I can't tell.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
the console+games are at a data-center and not your home
I don't quite get it... you have to have a console to play the game so surely you could just hack the systems with some kinda chip (like modding the wii)....

aiRWaLKRe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
Have you tried onlive?

It works just fine for me, but then again I have a stable fast highspeed broadband connection. Thus why I said in my original post that the technology just isn't quiet ready for cloud gaming. But in the end it would help with piracy. Maybe in 10 years when more/most people will hopefully have a fast stable high speed connection cloud gaming will be in full force.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wizzerzak said:
I don't quite get it... you have to have a console to play the game so surely you could just hack the systems with some kinda chip (like modding the wii)....
but you would be hooked up to their network so they could most likely tell if you had done anything to your system and shut you out

aiRWaLKRe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wizzerzak said:
QUOTE said:

Basically you would have a glorified router with controller ports and tv hook up that would run a user interface that talks to the console/computer at the data center transmitting all actions there and back. There is no memory in the router type unit at your house cause nothing is stored in it

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
DeathStrudel said:
Wizzerzak said:
but you would be hooked up to their network so they could most likely tell if you had done anything to your system and shut you out

some way to hide? like a proxy server but similar

Posts merged

aiRWaLKRe said:
Wizzerzak said:

Basically you would have a glorified router with controller ports and tv hook up that would run a user interface that talks to the console/computer at the data center transmitting all actions there and back. There is no memory in the router type unit at your house cause nothing is stored in it

ahh i see the problem now...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Oh hell no. I'd never want to play a game when I know there's going to be permanent 300+ms delay between every button I press and the corresponding action on screen. Games are extremely time-dependant, where a split second can mean the difference between taking out a sniper or being the one that gets shot. Games currently try to minimise the amount of data that needs to be constantly streamed to each user (usually just positional data of all the players). If you've got to stream the entire game all the time... that'd just be horrible.

Imagine playing Super Smash Bros Brawl online, when there's huge lag between the 4 players. The entire game crawls along in slow motion and you can't get the timing of your combos right because it's just too laggy. That's more or less exactly what would happen if Sony (and others) started using cloud based gaming. Not to mention that the quality of internet access will unfairly favour those living in city centers where they use fibre optics rather than copper wire phonelines. Anyone in suburbs or outside the cities will be unable to take advantage of cloud gaming.

Just... no. Cloud-based gaming is not an answer.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
fudgenuts64 said:
jan777 said:
Have you tried onlive?

Did you even read what the OP posted. Or are you being sarcastic? I can't tell.

ooops. I missed that part. sorry.
shy.gif

Anyway my point was, you need fast internet to utilize it. And not a lot of people have that. Hell, in the philippines, the norm is at 1mbps.
I agree that it is kinda neat that you can play games that your computer cant normally play. But yeah, might happen in the future.

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aiRWaLKRe said:
Just imagine the awesome games that would get developed for a console when developers wouldn't lose any money from piracy of their games...

Just imagine the terrible games that would get developed when developers wouldn't get as much money as they would if around 50% of their games are pirated.

Ex: I use this and play for 9.99 a month, during this free period I play around 20 different games, how exactly would they get this money? Splitting it is unrealistic as Onlive will want their share.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Considering you would need a fairly high speed connection to play games, Onlive is way ahead of it's time and will fall flat on it's face until an affordable 10+MBPS connection becomes available worldwide, ($50+ a month is not affordable in any stretch of the imagination. That's almost a game a month for god sakes.) and playing offline becomes obsolete, cloud based gaming will never take over the market.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
i've got it! plug in some sorta usb or hub somewhere between the controller and the central station your're streaming from which tricks the server into thinking that x account has x amount of games or permission to use those games. A bit like what the Key for the PS3 that was just recently discovered does.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wizzerzak said:
i've got it! plug in some sorta usb or hub somewhere between the controller and the central station your're streaming from which tricks the server into thinking that x account has x amount of games or permission to use those games. A bit like what the Key for the PS3 that was just recently discovered does.
Why are you trying to find ways to pirate on something that won't be out for at least 10 years?

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bandwidth is not free.. not only would u have to pay for the bandwidth you are using on their end, but that on your end also... if you have internet on your phone, your paying for more of the same thing, txt messages get packed as data and sent the same way as the internet on phone. frankly i already am fed up with how many times over i have to pay for just data.

There could be a gaming service as such, but if ALL gaming was to switch to something like this it would gobble up the bandwidth of the world! ok, maybe not all of it. but our current infrastructural can barely hold what we are already doing with it. its not designed for what it is today. that means we would have to take a step back in preformence either way.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppl would get the games and run their on servers
the hacking can even be hardware based to mod it
then again, if everyone would use it, i'm sure there would be a LOT of account hacking
i mean, there are millions of cheater online already, now, if every gamers' attention[including] hackers would be driven to this "could" stuff, imagine what chaos that would be

it's hard to hack, but it's not fullproof, i've talked about it to many ppl, it's not going to work 100%, it will just make things harder or mess them up
either way, no-one will be happy

and "moving" the screen? for gameplay?
why would u do that apart from portables?
and again, there are many kinds of portables, it's hard to keep track
u can lose your connection, it's not rly safe to turn on stuff like that at home, costs a lot....

bah

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)