The next South Park game will be in 3D and may not be in collaboration with Ubisoft

South-Park-Key-Art.jpg

According to a Bloomberg report detailing South Park co-creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone's $900 million deal with ViacomCBS Inc., a new South Park video game is in the works. While details are scant right now, the article says that the new game will be in 3D, indicating a possible departure from the style of The Stick of Truth and The Fractured But Whole, which replicated the 2D animation of the show. Interestingly, the article also implies that Parker and Stone will be fronting the money for this project themselves, which could indicate a possible split from Ubisoft, who developed and published the previous two South Park video games. Their new deal also covers many more ventures for the duo, including six more seasons of South Park (which would bring them to thirty seasons total), a documentary series, a weed company, and fourteen made-for-streaming South Park movies.

:arrow: Source

kiaghi7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ubisoft were NOT the developers of The Stick of Truth. Ubisoft only made The Fractured But Whole & Phone Destroyer. The Stick of Truth was developed by Obsidian. Would not be surprised if the new game is developed soley by South Park Digital Studios.
I didn't say anything about the developer, I merely want the game to be good, and preferably in the same style as TSOT is/was, as I feel it was a far superior experience.

I agree! Fractured was trying for way too much for some reason. They should have tweaked combat from the first game rather than completely changing it. The rest of the game was like that, slight tweaks and improvements over the same functions of the stick of truth.

Stick of Truth is such a good game for when you've got a day or two off and want something great and quick. If it had been a mobile-only game and/or not cost $60 on release, I feel like it would have pushed expectations for a better sequel.

Also the DLC for both games is a damn joke.
Oh I agree, for my mobile, I've taken to playing "South Park Phone Destroyer", which while nowhere near as good as TSOT, it's cute and amusing... Don't spend a penny on it though, it's HEAVILY structured around the mobile-model (improvements, additional cards, and so forth is all in random chance packs and the like).

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a good reason for the whole "fourteen movies" thing!
South Park, the show, has a contract with HBO Max.
The company that makes South Park later launched their own streaming service (Paramount+) and it doesn't have any South Park on it. So making a pile of specials is just their way of getting around a contract locking the TV show elsewhere.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe kinda Paper Mario-esque? Still 2D characters but big 3D areas. That might still go against the aesthetic, though one of the intros had a lot of 3D in it and it didn't look bad.
yea like the show it often uses 3D animation for environments but the characters always remain 2D.

dont get me wrong simpsons was ok in 3d but it didnt feel right, best 3d simpsons game was the cell shaded one, shame the game was a tad boring tho.

Reactions: c410bp

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a good reason for the whole "fourteen movies" thing!
South Park, the show, has a contract with HBO Max.
The company that makes South Park later launched their own streaming service (Paramount+) and it doesn't have any South Park on it. So making a pile of specials is just their way of getting around a contract locking the TV show elsewhere.
Your point is mute. HBO only has streaming rights in USA and only for 5 years.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The South park 64 game would have been perfect, had they not fucked the controls beyond hell and back. Made the end boss nearly impossible to keep off his recharging pad.

I still have nightmares of that boss battle, and I have not touched the game in almost 20 years..

Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head