The Guinness World Records has reinstated Billy Mitchell's Pac-Man and Donkey Kong scores

aWrV0iu.png

The ex-champion is now a champion once more. After seeing his scores for two arcade games, Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, be stripped from Twin Galaxies and thus removed from the Guinness World Records over cheating allegations, Billy Mitchell has now gotten his records reinstated by the latter. As of June 18th, the Guinness World Records has determined through "re-examination of the records and the emergence of key eyewitness and expert testimonials" that Mitchell's five scores, attained between 1982 and 2010, are to be reinstated.

They have also decided to note that Billy Mitchell is the first person to both score 1 million points in Donkey Kong, and the first to reach the game's kill screen. At this point in time, however, Mitchell's Donkey Kong scores have been surpassed on multiple occasions, with the world record currently, according to Twin Galaxies, belonging to John McCurdy as of 2019, (though the previous record-holder Robbie Lakeman retook this top spot earlier this week at 1,260,700 points) with this ruling mostly to serve in clearing Mitchell's name rather than securing the most recent top score.

Meanwhile, Twin Galaxies, who is currently being sued by Mitchell over defamation, released their own statement, stating that they are still looking into the matter of cheating allegations.

With the recent rulings on Todd Rogers, currently opened cases have been scrutinized and re-evaluated more heavily by the forum members. Young came back to the same thread today with a thorough analysis of why he believes Mitchell lied, including detailed pictures and captured gifs for comparison. Many websites misinterpreted the information that Twin Galaxies had made an official ruling on Mitchell, wrongly stating that Young was a TG judge and that it had been officially ruled, to the point that his name is trending on Twitter during publication of this post.

Accusations include that Mitchell was using MAME, an open source emulator, to obtain the score instead of a real Donkey Kong machine and that frames from his submission may have been spliced together. The score in question places him 12th place in this particular track at 1,062,800 points, behind Robbie Lakeman’s recent 1st place ranking at 1,230,100.

The Twin Galaxies Editorial team reached out to the Twin Galaxies Administration and Adjudication team for clarification and an official word on the matter.

“Twin Galaxies,” they said, “is in the process of fully reviewing the compelling evidence provided by Jeremy Young to support his current score dispute case against Billy Mitchell's Donkey Kong score. We will do this thoroughly and impartially. In the meantime, we will continue to observe this discussion by experts in the community and will also examine any further evidence that may be provided during this review period.”

:arrow: Source

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is 2018 good enough for you?

I'm not taking sides, but Billy knows his stuff and Twin Galaxies also has his fare share of shadiness.
what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't trust anyone involved in this.

No one is really disputing that Billy is very good at those games, he's a pioneer of competitive video games, that legitimately set and broke records, but he's from an era where he was able to forge submissions that would be taken without question due to his notoriety of past accolades, it just finally caught up to him with the advancements of technology, and social media, while also being under a microscope after being featured on King of Kong.

I really don't doubt he's cheated, but I do recognize he also has legitimate achievement too, I just think he couldn't leave it at that, he was going to hold on to the top spot at long as he could even if it meant cheating, and now that players have surpassed him to a point he won't likely ever regain it the only thing he has to hold on to is at least clearing his name of being a cheater to try and save face when he should have just been happy with what he already accomplished.

Last edited by TheRealNGB,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
has any of you any proof that mitchell or twin galaxies is in the wrong? no.
I'm not taking any sides here without actual hard proof verified by myself, but I have no time to be verifying things like this.
in a case of this guy word vs this other guy word it's better to remain neutral.
Watch Apollo Legend's videos on Billy Mitchell for evidence.

Reactions: Coolsonickirby

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've lost all respect for Guinness... Oh wait, I never had any :D

Screw them and screw Baby Mitchell.

When's the last time anyone consulted Guinness for the world record time/score for a game?
It would never even cross my mind... I can think of 3 other places I'd check, if I even got that far.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've lost all respect for Guinness... Oh wait, I never had any :D

Screw them and screw Baby Mitchell.

When's the last time anyone consulted Guinness for the world record time/score for a game?
It would never even cross my mind... I can think of 3 other places I'd check, if I even got that far.

It is probably less being in the book and more the act of being disqualified from it meant a knock on effect for appearances, bookings and events (controversial figure, fantastic possibly more turn up to boo him or gawp, controversial figure that is known as a cheater... ghost town).

Coolsonickirby

Trophies
Website
coolsonickirby.com
XP
Country
United States
I have.
But why should I trust this guy instead of the other guy? They are both perfect strangers to us.
Evidence can be manipulated (specially video) to fit either of the parties.
Because the evidence Apollo used was from Billy Mitchell?

And the fake swap board adds more to the pile against him.

Also, the issue isn't that he sucks at the game and needed to cheat. The issue is that he used an emulator, then denied it when evidence showed up. Not sure why he denied it (prolly cause Twin Galaxy doesn't allow it iirc).

There's a pretty good video made by Omnigamer (same person who exposed Todd). You should go watch it.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That guy is an actual lawyer (more on the copyright side) but goes through these sorts of cases a lot. His conclusion (though do watch it) is Twin Galaxies might not have had the most evidence for their claim and thus could be in the wrong as far as doing what they did. If that is the case then Mr Mitchell then has various courses of legal redress.
There is video evidence of him using MAME. Which he denies to this day. (This would allow him to use save states and stitch together the footage. If you watch the video of his records they're obviously stitched together.) Also he faked switching out a DK board for a Jr board on video. (Jr was in it the entire time on video. They just took the board out and put the same board back in.) The same day he apparently set a record on both games on that machine.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems Leonard French did an update video covering the amended complaint from Mr Mitchell.

PDF of the document in question from his site
https://lawfulmasses.com/guinness-restores-billy-mitchells-donkey-kong-world-records/

Next hearing appears to be on the 6th of July so I guess we will know more then/whenever the results of that get made available.

Assuming his history of things in the amended complaint is accurate (and if anything he has an incentive to talk them up in this) it is also a pretty decent overview of Twin Galaxies. Stuff I did not know and goes back further than I thought.

Equally we might be heading for a technically correct/legally correct type of debate, even not withstanding the are emulators legit discussion (as silly as it may or may not be if it is part of the rules for that set then eh). Twin Galaxies claim it is just, like, my opinion, man as a get out of that, however that potentially dubious with what they are and what the statements/actions would be perceived as being. If however it is not an opinion but a statement of fact (which it could well have been) then even if it was not a legit run then if they had no evidence (don't know what goes for reasonable belief in their evidence when it is not a lawyer/legal scenario) and also refused to engage then yeah that might well land you in defamation world.

Original video for those that want more of the prior background

moto4mods

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is just jealous that Billy Mitchell has a bigger dick.
If that was the case, yeah we would be jealous. Also Billy "Baby Dick" Mitchell would've been concerned about getting girls not records, and we wouldn't be here discussing his sad life full of rejection.

But alas, he didn't get the girl, or the record. Isn't hung AT ALL, and publicly adimts to such with his actions.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If that was the case, yeah we would be jealous. Also Billy "Baby Dick" Mitchell would've been concerned about getting girls not records, and we wouldn't be here discussing his sad life full of rejection.

But alas, he didn't get the girl, or the record. Isn't hung AT ALL, and publicly adimts to such with his actions.
He's Married. He's getting all the females.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.