System Shock reboot to go on indefinite "hiatus" 18 months after successful Kickstarter

HsnqhsV.png

A year and a half after the reboot for the classic sci game System Shock had been revealed and funded 1.3 million dollars via Kickstarter, developer Nightdive Studios has announced that the project will be going on "hiatus" for an undefined amount of time. The CEO of the company, Stephen Kick, stated that issues within the team making the game had cropped up, and over-ambitious ideas had taken over the project, leading to what he believes is not a game currently accurate the original. Development on the reboot will be halted for now, so that the developers can reportedly "get things back under control", though there's no explanation on how they will go about this other than just taking a break and refocusing. System Shock's reboot was initially planned for release in December 2017 for PC, and was Kickstarted on July 29, 2016.

I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

:arrow: Source

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know if this was serious, I would have to think it is a joke, mostly cause it was a kick starter thing where you taken donations to help fund a game from public interest. But also cause I never heard someone actually use that as a excuse. Honestly I would believe that to be true if the steaks wasn't based on crowd funding. But I dunno the truth, maybe they actually do need to fix their dev team, i wish some other companies admit their overambitious intentions and fix their team. :P

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Those funds aren't gonna last them forever. Guessing they might do some outsourcing for other companies or find other streams of revenue to keep this project afloat as they fix whatever issues they have. I've seen really promising games enter hiatus like this and never escape. It's really too bad. I was looking forward to this System Shock reboot, too. I wish them all the best.

Reactions: Charli

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So basically the initial success has gotten into their head, they got greedy, wanted to do more and in the end they lost control of what the game was supposed to be and/or used up too much money. Pro tip: If you want to do a Kickstarter, stick to your original plans.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people support such trivial, sophomoric kickstarter and/or crowfunding tripe again?

Mighty No. 9
This game
The Switch dock

Yeah, real top notch products on there. I'm sorry, but if people are supporting this type of business, you're part of the problem.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Jay L

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I've never donated to a kickstarter and never will, every time I see/hear the word kickstarter it's followed by a horror story.

Anyone who was ever foolish enough to give someone money to go get them drugs already knows how this ends; you ain't getting to shit man!
Like the people running the kickstarter, if you ever even hear from them again they'll have some fantastical tale about what happened.

I'd like to see an honest kickstarter update from one of these crooks.
Update #19
I've spent all your money on hookers and blow.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've seen really promising games enter hiatus like this and never escape. It's really too bad.

At the very least those kickstarters should release whatever they have, as incomplete and as buggy as it is at least it's something; maybe even put the source code (I don't program is that the right thing?) out so someone else can continue what they abandoned.

Their reason for a hiatus is total bullshit because given the choice between releasing something that didn't meet expectations and releasing nothing at all, which everyone knows will happen, they decided to release nothing at all. The only thing that besmirches your name more than releasing a bad game is ripping people off.

Last edited by Jay L,

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funding a Kickstarter is only a good idea if you're willing to accept the fact that you're not actually purchasing the stuff in that reward tier, you're paying for the excitement you feel about it. Because there's a 50% chance that that's the only thing you'll ever get, a 45% chance that's the best you'll get because the final product sucks, and a 5% chance that you'll feel like your money was well spent. Oh, and there's a 95% chance that the thing you paid for will get delayed until you've forgotten you made the purchase in the first place.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They're delaying for a good reason, to focus back on what's meant to be a remake and not a new IP although I like ambitious ideas for a game.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
1.3 million dollars can go by really fast when you're paying a full dev team.
It's not that much money for a serious modern game at all.

Don't be surprised if they've already burned through it and are running for the hills, but not before they left a sign on the door saying, "be back soon, we promise!". lol.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree"