Hacking System corrupted -full control of Wii but still can't shake it

Gomi-Enu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem that is slowly driving me mad. I was given a early wii by a coworker as a gift, since she broke it. She never modded it or anything, but it locked up on the 4.2 update and would restart to the 'system file corrupted' message.

I could get into maintenance mode fine, and everything seemed to work fine. Wii thinks its 4.2U. Formatting memory would hang. I couldn't bannerbomb the mainteance mode but indiana pwned worked fine, got homebrew channel and bootmii installed, made a nand backup, then went through the 4.2 update and softmod guides, figuring that was as clean a slate as I could get.

After going through the guide here (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901), it would restart to a black screen and hang. From maintenance mode, I could go to homebrew channel and do whatever just fine. I did the modify part of the guide, figure I'll just take it to the virgin 4.2. Nothing. Downgrade and upgrade, no difference. I wonder if I have a bad channel (I did have dups) so I get anytitledeleter and start deleting stuff. The News channel freezes on delete no matter what I try (even the anytitledeleter with the choice of different ISOs, I forget), but I update the news channel just fine tho. Install preloader (maybe the system files are in a bad patch of nand?) but doesn't make any difference.

I started from scratch, re softmod and update. Back to a working maintenance mode, but the same 'system files corrupted'. so far, a giant, pointless circle. But at least now I can play backups and homebrew.

Any ideas how I can get the system menu to work again? This was going to be a gift for my nephew, but I feel kinda lame giving him a busted up wii....

One interesting thing- when going from a 'soft restart' to wii menu (with the wipe of grey boxes) the normal menu would start and then freeze after 2 seconds, usually along with the music freezing.

Thanks for your collective wisdom!
-rj

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
What version of pre/priiloader are u using? This message was a common problem when older versions of pre/priloader were installed without installing a patched system menu IOS (next Q, do u have a patched SM IOS?). Easiest way (imho) to get priiloader and a patched SM IOS wad is to use nus auto downloader.

QUOTE said:
try removing the system menu and reinstalling the wad? also try reinstalling ios70?
do not remove the system menu, never do that, if anything re-install it

Gomi-Enu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As part of the softmod guide, I installed
IOS70-64-v6687[TB+ES_diV+NAND].wad

then
IOS70-64-v6687.wad
and
System Menu-NUS-v481.wad

I've done that process a few times, no errors. Is there a different iso70 and system menu I should be using?

-rj

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
lol, sorry I have to laugh
biggrin.gif

IOS70-64-v6687[TB+ES_diV+NAND].wad and IOS70-64-v6687.wad both install to IOS slot 70, so whichever one u install last is the ONLY one installed on your system

try reinstalling IOS70-64-v6687[TB+ES_diV+NAND].wad and see if that fixes your problem
biggrin.gif

Gomi-Enu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I thought that was odd - maybe its cause they have the update and modify steps separate in the guide?

I'll go reinstall that one and see what she does-

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
QUOTE said:
try removing the system menu and reinstalling the wad? also try reinstalling ios70?
do not remove the system menu, never do that, if anything re-install it
Actually, it sounds like he has BootMii boot2 on it, in which case it would be safe to do this. That said, yeah, it's not exactly neccesary. It sounds to me kind of like the system menu didn't install all the way during this update his co-worker mentioned. Like it installed enough to at least try booting but is definitely missing something. You don't mention reinstalling the system menu, so I would try that.

Gomi-Enu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's uninstalled now - I was just trying it out, hoping that either moving the system menu would work (in case it was sitting on a patch of bad NAND) or that some of the alternate syswtem menu's had matured enough that I could skip fixing it. No dice wither way, so I removed it.

I used the latest Multi-Mod manager to install it. Not sure what version - 1.9?

atrophis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you got BootMii boot2, can't you get a backup from another working Wii and restore to this one? Sounds like the easiest fix to me.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
atrophis said:
If you got BootMii boot2, can't you get a backup from another working Wii and restore to this one? Sounds like the easiest fix to me.
That's not as easy/reliable as you think. Only use it as a last resort.

Gomi-Enu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually tried that, but my 'normal' wii is a later model with a different boot1, so it wouldn't work. (I can't load bootmi to boot2 on mine - only IOS, but I can on this one. Mine is from late 08, this one is was bought on Day 1.)

I'm surprised there is not some archive somewhere of NAND backups from different version WIIs-

atrophis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gomi-Enu said:
I actually tried that, but my 'normal' wii is a later model with a different boot1, so it wouldn't work. (I can't load bootmi to boot2 on mine - only IOS, but I can on this one. Mine is from late 08, this one is was bought on Day 1.)

I'm surprised there is not some archive somewhere of NAND backups from different version WIIs-

Well, it's a shame you hacked it already. I would have just sent it to Nintendo for a replacement if it was their update that bricked it. Unless, they would have fixed boot2 for ya and sent you back a Wii a little worse off.

Gomi-Enu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tempted to shake it. Hard.

My coworker tried to get Nintendo to fix it a few times - no luck. She just went and bought a new one.

I reinstalled the system menu and the IOS70 with mods - no change. I also tried to downgrade the system menu with the multi-mod manager, but no luck their either. Just for fun, I tried to delete that one pasky news channel - HAGE- and I had dups again (HAGA and HAGE). HAGA deletes fine, HAGE doesn't. Can't imagine it's related - but then again, not a clue why it's being so crazy in the first place.....

-rj

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should try this
QUOTE said:
Mail Brick

As I have said before, this is a very rare type of brick that does occur from time to time. I personally have never had to deal with one before.

Here are a few methods to fix this.

Det1re's Method
First download Det1re's Mailbox Brick Fix.
Det1re
1. Copy "apps" and "fstoolbox" to your SD card root and overwrite if asked.
2. Startup the Wii and boot HBC (you can use BootMii, Preloader or the Maintainance mode)
to do so.
3. From HBC, run FSToolbox r50 and follow the on-screen instructions until you see your
Wii's file struct (import, meta, shared1, shared2, sys, ticket, title, tmp).
4. Navigate to shared2/wc24/ and replace any file with the one from SD by pressing PLUS.
5. Navigate to shared2/wc24/mbox/ and do the same there.
6. End the app and restart the Wii. You will get a message that your Mail account is broken
and will be restored.

Doing the steps above will remove all your saved friends and all messages from your
Message Board.

If that fails, install ios16-v257- get the Nintendo recovery disk, load it from a loader, then use the delete all function, this will do a system format. Perhaps this will help since the wii format crashes on you.

Also you may have better results in anytitle deleter using ios16- 100% error free for me.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
atrophis said:
Gomi-Enu said:

Well, it's a shame you hacked it already. I would have just sent it to Nintendo for a replacement if it was their update that bricked it. Unless, they would have fixed boot2 for ya and sent you back a Wii a little worse off.
There is NO fixing Boot2. That would be a hardware change and the Nintendo techs are not capable of that. If you can install Bootmii as boot2, you will ALWAYS be able to install bootmii as boot2 on that machine.

For the last time:
1) boot0 is ROM and can never change once flashed.
2) boot0 does checks on boot1 so if you attempted to change boot1... the Wii would never boot again!
3) Installing bootmii as boot2 is possible because of a flaw in the original boot1 (which you can never change without permanent brick... even by Nintendo)
4) Therefore.. no matter how many updates there are to boot2, you can always reinstall bootmii there.

The only way around it it to physically replace the motherboard. The manufacturing plants could replace the chip in its entirety but that's waaayyyy beyond the scope of a Nintendo tech.

Coconuts 500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I suggest you get Anytitle Deleter Mod, and Dop-Mii.

Enter the homebrew channel, open Anytitle Deleter Mod and every delete IOS you see, except the one homebrew channel uses (see in the top corner).

Then, reset and start up Dop-Mii, now install the latest version of IOS70, with no hacks. Then install System menu 4.2U. Then restart again.

Now, the Wii SHOULD be working. If it does, open Dop-Mii again and install the IOSes that have important-sounding descriptions.

I have done this with my launch-day Wii! It works! But you must have Bootmii boot2 to do it safely.

atrophis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
urherenow said:
There is NO fixing Boot2. That would be a hardware change and the Nintendo techs are not capable of that. If you can install Bootmii as boot2, you will ALWAYS be able to install bootmii as boot2 on that machine.

For the last time:
1) boot0 is ROM and can never change once flashed.
2) boot0 does checks on boot1 so if you attempted to change boot1... the Wii would never boot again!
3) Installing bootmii as boot2 is possible because of a flaw in the original boot1 (which you can never change without permanent brick... even by Nintendo)
4) Therefore.. no matter how many updates there are to boot2, you can always reinstall bootmii there.

The only way around it it to physically replace the motherboard. The manufacturing plants could replace the chip in its entirety but that's waaayyyy beyond the scope of a Nintendo tech.

Thanks for telling me something I already knew. My assumption was that he didn't send it back out of fear of getting a unit back that did not have a boot2 bug in it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Stepcroc, I'm stuck.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Those are monitor lizards you dunce.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm funny. lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs and roasted potatoes came out good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching the first omen and so far it's not the priest doing the scaring
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Shouldn't the kid be the scary one?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The second omen: the chior boy gets his revenge
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reverse exorcist: it's when you hire a demon to remove the priest out of a small child.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hire Kendrick Drake possessed a minor again
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, I'd run away from his singing too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wonder if Drakes still allowed to use his Instagram
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like everyone has some great imaginary friends
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Yeah, that was insane.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Don't know what Drake was even thinking.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What every rich scumbag thinks that they can put their dick on anything and get away with it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I better hide my silicone Tifa doll
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What did Drake do, exactly? I don't follow celeb gossip.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Supposed accusations that Drake groomed a minor.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Allegedly groomed a 17 year old Instagram model or something along those lines
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yep, something like that.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1MJtV0UPI8