Hardware Homebrew sys-ftpd-light black screen after nintendo logo

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same value on my Samsung Evo select A2 512GB, now I wonder how verdict is that info from Hekate... Most likely it's some value it fetches from the mSD data?

I mean memory always gets higher power on heavy reading\writing and less idle...
You have 2880 mW or 900 mW?

• Wow
Reactions: impeeza and Lamcza

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2280 mw like him... Erista V1 on Samsung Evo Select A2 512GB, I'm guessing is probably some fake power consumption value that Hekate probably gets from the mSD data, no idea...

Ps: I edited my previous post, if you can reply to the first part referenced to you...

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
2280 mw like him... Erista V1 on Samsung Evo Select A2 512GB, I'm guessing is probably some fake power consumption value that Hekate probably gets from the mSD data, no idea...

Ps: I edited my previous post, if you can reply to the first part referenced to you...
Interesting but mine is still the highest and always on that lvl on all the cards between multiple fresh installs of hekate/atmo etc. and i have some issues on boot with partition emu and bigger sd cards.
Post automatically merged:

@binkinator did you test with emunand as files or partition? Cause the problem seems to be with some mSD cards when using partition emunand.

Correct me if I'm wrong @Lamcza

Same value on my Samsung Evo select A2 512GB, now I wonder how verdict is that info from Hekate... Most likely it's some value it fetches from the mSD data?

I mean memory always gets higher power on heavy reading\writing and less idle and that value seems to just be there glued with tape :toot: :D
yes it is partition emu connected issue :P binki is using emu all the way i think

mine sd power is same on file based and partition emu too

Iam adding info from samsung pro and lexar play 512gb plus bench of the samsung

Attachments

• IMG20230212091725.jpg
    IMG20230212091725.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG20230212101158.jpg
    IMG20230212101158.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG20230128161124.jpg
    IMG20230128161124.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited by Lamcza,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It's the allowed peak power consumption of the microSD card. The driver can configure this limit at the cost of lower performance. Don't worry about it too much. It's unlikely to be the issue.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's the allowed peak power consumption of the microSD card. The driver can configure this limit at the cost of lower performance. Don't worry about it too much. It's unlikely to be the issue.
But there is no better clue for now :D by a driver, do you mean sd card driver like on sd itself? So why there is no change between multiple of my sd cards :o?

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
With driver i meant the software hekate uses to initialize/configure the microSD. And what it displays there depends on what the microSD needs to reach the maximum performance and what the Switch can handle. The peak power consumption can vary even if you seemingly got the same microSD because they make changes under the hood. Just like SSDs can suddenly use different controllers if the manufacturer decides to swap it for another one.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
With driver i meant the software hekate uses to initialize/configure the microSD. And what it displays there depends on what the microSD needs to reach the maximum performance and what the Switch can handle. The peak power consumption can vary even if you seemingly got the same microSD because they make changes under the hood. Just like SSDs can suddenly use different controllers if the manufacturer decides to swap it for another one.
but i get the same card as binki sandisk 512 and samsung evo select as guily and that power power consumtion is always the same for me as is the same for binky on multiple devices but it is much much lower for him.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
As said, even if the cards have the same branding and model number they are not necessarily the same. The hardware and firmware revision on the left side might give you a clue about differences.

edit:
Example: My Samsung Evo Select 256 GB shows up as model GE4S5, HW rev 3, FW rev 0 and manufactured in 02/2021. It also has a peak power usage of 2880 mW.

Last edited by ghjfdtg,
Reactions: impeeza

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As said, even if the cards have the same branding and model number they are not necessarily the same. The hardware and firmware revision on the left side might give you a clue about differences.

edit:
Example: My Samsung Evo Select 256 GB shows up as model GE4S5, HW rev 3, FW rev 0 and manufactured in 02/2021. It also has a peak power usage of 2880 mW.
I get it but again i tested 4x different cards ;P i mean only 512gb :D a lot more if we count 128gb ;P and it is always the same value for me in there :D on each clean instal of atmo/hekate and fresh emu. Binki gets 900mw on his devices despite the sd cards too :D but he got two different sizes of sandisks.

Something is very suspicious about this. So far we know that Binki can run everything without a booting issue on partition-based emu and i can't. For now, the only real difference we can spot is just this value whatever it means.

I mean that evo Samsung of yours is in a potentially safe size so i doubt that it will have some issues because mine 128gb are booting flawlessly also on 2880mw but if you want you can test how is it restarting by power/restart after ftpd light installed.

Last edited by Lamcza,

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Here is the responsible code. It checks what the microSD needs and raises the limit accordingly: https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/blob/master/bdk/storage/sdmmc.c#L1066-L1071
Like i said whatever it means xD i can only figure out from there that 2880mW is the top of what it can push on sd?? So idk maybe my switch sd card reader is quacked and sd card is not getting all of it or not fast enough on boot, but it still can boot on file-based emu and it can always boot to hekate hmmm. :wacko:

Last edited by Lamcza,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I should mention that i use file based emuMMC and had no issues apart from slower loading times compared with sysMMC. However i heard multiple times how file based is a little slower than hidden partition. File based is definitely convenient for backups.

As for the issue with blackscreens see this: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/issues/1983
I highly doubt it has anything to do with power usage. It's just a bug either in this sysmodule or Atmosphere.

Reactions: Lamcza

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I should mention that i use file based emuMMC and had no issues apart from slower loading times compared with sysMMC. However i heard multiple times how file based is a little slower than hidden partition. File based is definitely convenient for backups.

As for the issue with blackscreens see this: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/issues/1983
I highly doubt it has anything to do with power usage. It's just a bug either in this sysmodule or Atmosphere.
yea i was there ;P https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/issues/1983#issuecomment-1411221947 but there is still no clue of what is going on over there :D

as for backups, i think we can use the partition wizard copy option :X and then fix in Hekate it is easy as quack : o but i go for file-based now and i don't feel the differences in speed that Samsung pro is pretty decent.

Last edited by Lamcza,
Reactions: binkinator

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Hello there, this are some excerpts from past Atmosphère releases:

Atmosphère 0.19.3
0.19.3 is Atmosphère's forty-ninth official release.
fusee-primary was last updated in: 0.19.3.
With thanks to the @switchbrew team, Atmosphère 0.19.3 is bundled with hbl 2.4.1, and hbmenu 3.4.0.
The following was changed since the last release:

Support was added for 12.0.2.
A number of minor issues were fixed, including:
An issue was fixed in dns.mitm that caused a crash when games attempted to resolve the IP address of nullptr.
An issue was fixed in erpt that would cause an abort when booting without having ever booted stock previously.
An issue was fixed in (file-based) emummc that caused an error on system format/downloading certain games.
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

Atmosphère 0.14.1
A bug was fixed that would cause file-based emummc to throw an error (showing a hexdump) on boot.
Major thanks to @hexkyz for tracking down and resolving this.

Atmosphère 0.13.0
0.13.0 is Atmosphère's thirty-second official release.
fusee-primary was last updated in: 0.13.0.
emummc was updated to include the new changes.
emummc now uses an updated/improved/faster SDMMC driver.
File-based emummc is now almost as fast as raw partition-based emummc.

So, since Atmosphère 0.13.0 the file-based is "almost" fast as RAW because on some testing discussed on discord File-based takes .5 seconds less to boot-up the full system vs RAW partition.

Interesting but mine is still the highest and always on that lvl on all the cards between multiple fresh installs of hekate/atmo etc. and i have some issues on boot with partition emu and bigger sd cards.

yes it is partition emu connected issue :P binki is using emu all the way i think

mine sd power is same on file based and partition emu too

Iam adding info from samsung pro and lexar play 512gb plus bench of the samsung

This is my SD Card:

1676220875419.png

and this are my Hekate captures:

nyx20230212_112123.png

nyx20230212_112846.png

may be I haven't the issue because my card is slow.

Last edited by impeeza,

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Atmosphère 0.19.3
With thanks to the @switchbrew team, Atmosphère 0.19.3 is bundled with hbl 2.4.1, and hbmenu 3.4.0.

An issue was fixed in dns.mitm that caused a crash when games attempted to resolve the IP address of nullptr.
An issue was fixed in erpt that would cause an abort when booting without having ever booted stock previously.
An issue was fixed in (file-based) emummc that caused an error on system format/downloading certain games.

Atmosphère 0.14.1
A bug was fixed that would cause file-based emummc to throw an error (showing a hexdump) on boot.

Atmosphère 0.13.0

So, since Atmosphère 0.13.0 the file-based is "almost" fast as RAW because on some testing discussed on discord File-based takes .5 seconds less to boot-up the full system vs RAW partition.

This is my SD Card:

View attachment 352939

and this are my Hekate captures:

View attachment 352937

View attachment 352938

may be I haven't the issue because my card is slow.
you are using file-based so you are safe anyway but your card is on 900mW lvl same as Binki so this is again interesting ;P because i get that 2880mW(with is the max allowed?) even on the 512 sandisk(same model as Binki prchase in this week) or 128gb samsung evo and few other cards :o again even the same cards can draw more or less power but in my switch all of them are pushing for max :P Think i will buy a new sd card reader just to check if this can go lower on the new one.

For file-based speed, i think it is slightly slower on boot but not always and we are talking about very little difference :D besides that so far i cant rlly tell the difference, perhaps i need two switches side by side to spot it :P

Can i go and buy any sd card reader from ALI with good reviews and there will be no compatibility problems after swapping it :D?

Last edited by Lamcza,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are using file-based so you are safe anyway but your card is on 900mW lvl same as Binki so this is again interesting ;P because i get that 2880mW(with is the max allowed?) even on the 512 sandisk(same model as Binki prchase in this week) or 128gb samsung evo and few other cards :o again even the same cards can draw more or less power but in my switch all of them are pushing for max :P Think i will buy a new sd card reader just to check if this can go lower on the new one.

For file-based speed, i think it is slightly slower on boot but not always and we are talking about very little difference :D besides that so far i cant rlly tell the difference, perhaps i need two switches side by side to spot it :P

Can i go and buy any sd card reader from ALI with good reviews and there will be no compatibility problems after swapping it :D?
I buy mine either from iFixit (support their cause) or Amazon (solely based on Amazon ratings.) SDCard reader replacements are a mixed bag. I’ve had many dead-on-arrivals. :-(

• Love

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country

Atmosphère 0.19.3

Atmosphère 0.14.1

Atmosphère 0.13.0

Hmm, yeah. Seems like it's not a big difference anymore. Good to know.

• Love

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I dig up some old cards 32-16 gb and they are at 900mW in hekate looks like i have just bad luck and iam always getting max 2880mw cards even sandisk.

@guily6669 your card is on 2280 or it was a missclick and you mean 2880?

So if anyone has card rated at 2880mW in hekate on capacity 512gb or bigger and can boot partition based emu with ftpd light (starting on boot after restart via power/restart) let me/us know :D

Update: A few months later and my sd card became corupted so i finally swapped the card reader, now all my cards are rated at 900mw(samsung pro 512 draws 1440mW) insted of 2800 even 512gb in hekate, unfortunately because simply moving my emu to another card works iam to lazy to test partition emu now maybe some day :X

Update2: SOLVED. Tested on partition sd with new Kingston 512gb card that draws 900mw and new sd card reader, problem solved switch is booting atmo with ftpd light each time in any way by reboot to payload and power button restart.

Last edited by Lamcza,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1