• Views 517,823
  • Replies 1,366
  • Likes 88

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, does this mean, I have to patch the source code and recompile atmosphere, when I would like to play BOTW with docked_cpu=1224 or what do you mean by "higher frequencies"?

Can you tell me, where I can find the latest patch to do so?

And is docked_cpu=1224 recommended for BOTW or is it better to more overclock for this game?
You mean docked CPU = 1224 Mhz? You only need the regular sys-clk for this, nothing else. Recompiling atmosphere is only needed for higher memory frequencies than 1600 MHz.
CPU with 1224 MHz is usable without any fear. I do this regularly since two years or so (in portable mode). In docked mode it is mostly 1785 MHz anyway.

Reactions: MSco

MSco

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is great news, thank you!

In the sys-clk-db config.ini BOTW is listed with 1224 MHz as docked_cpu.
Is there a reason not to set a higher frequency for this game, like 1581 MHz?

What will happen, if I set the docked_cpu to 1785 MHz without recompiling atmosphere with a patch? Will the docked_cpu be set to the standard cpu value (1020 MHz) or will it be set to the maximum available (1581 MHz)?

pwjpssdfvqyuhweuxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
This is great news, thank you!

In the sys-clk-db config.ini BOTW is listed with 1224 MHz as docked_cpu.
Is there a reason not to set a higher frequency for this game, like 1581 MHz?

What will happen, if I set the docked_cpu to 1785 MHz without recompiling atmosphere with a patch? Will the docked_cpu be set to the standard cpu value (1020 MHz) or will it be set to the maximum available (1581 MHz)?
Every CPU and GPU frequency will work fine without having to recompile Atmosphere.
GPU clocks will be restricted to the mode your console is in (handheld, charging, docked, etc.)
You could go as high as you want (up to 1785 MHz), but if the higher frequency is not needed the game's framerate will not benefit from it. You can install status monitor and check the CPU and GPU usage and see if the game would benefit from the higher clock. (example: is it hitting 100% CPU usage at 1020mhz and dropping frames? then increase CPU clock)
As far as I know, BOTW also seems more bandwidth limited in docked mode - RAM OC would help here.

BTW, has anyone been able to get anything above 921mhz to work? I can apply the clock and see it is working in status monitor but I get literally 0 performance increase from it. (Erista)

3DSBricker

Not So Daily Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Every CPU and GPU frequency will work fine without having to recompile Atmosphere.
GPU clocks will be restricted to the mode your console is in (handheld, charging, docked, etc.)
You could go as high as you want (up to 1785 MHz), but if the higher frequency is not needed the game's framerate will not benefit from it. You can install status monitor and check the CPU and GPU usage and see if the game would benefit from the higher clock. (example: is it hitting 100% CPU usage at 1020mhz and dropping frames? then increase CPU clock)
As far as I know, BOTW also seems more bandwidth limited in docked mode - RAM OC would help here.

BTW, has anyone been able to get anything above 921mhz to work? I can apply the clock and see it is working in status monitor but I get literally 0 performance increase from it. (Erista)
Status monitor is the real speed so if you see it there it's working. Way too many people forget that Erista has a power draw issue! 1.78GHz CPU and 921MHz GPU can damage your Switch! The Switch was only designed for 18W. Above 921MHz also isn't worth it.

MSco

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Status monitor is the real speed so if you see it there it's working. Way too many people forget that Erista has a power draw issue! 1.78GHz CPU and 921MHz GPU can damage your Switch! The Switch was only designed for 18W. Above 921MHz also isn't worth it.

I noticed BOTW running much, much smoother on 921 MHz GPU (even in the Kokiri Forest the game runs smooth using the gpu overclock!).
Do you think it is also dangerous to set 1224MHz CPU and 921MHz GPU? Or is it only dangerous to set CPU and GPU both to maximum at the same time?

P.S.: I have a day one switch.

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I noticed BOTW running much, much smoother on 921 MHz GPU (even in the Kokiri Forest the game runs smooth using the gpu overclock!).
Do you think it is also dangerous to set 1224MHz CPU and 921MHz GPU? Or is it only dangerous to set CPU and GPU both to maximum at the same time?

P.S.: I have a day one switch.
BOTW is also running well with a 1862MHz RAM overclock. 1224 and 921 is the max. It'll draw between 18 and 20W.
Also, I previously said you need to patch Atmosphère. That's only for any speed above the max 1785/921/1600, read the frequencies as CPU/GPU/RAM frequency.

MSco

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@3DSBricker
Ok, if this combination leeds to between 18W and 20W and you say that the switch is designed for a maximum of 18W, you do not recommend to set 1224/921 for CPU and GPU? Or do you think this is ok?

For 1862MHz RAM I have to patch atmosphere, right? Can you tell me, where I can find the latest patch?

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@3DSBricker
Ok, if this combination leeds to between 18W and 20W and you say that the switch is designed for a maximum of 18W, you do not recommend to set 1224/921 for CPU and GPU? Or do you think this is ok?

For 1862MHz RAM I have to patch atmosphere, right? Can you tell me, where I can find the latest patch?
1224/921 really is my recommended maximum. For anything above 1600MHz RAM you do need to patch Atmosphère. It's posted in the RetroNX Discord server.

butawsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kyrgyzstan
i want to try this to underclock my switch ..do i need to do anything first like patching or recompiling before i start? im on 13.1.0 ams 1.2.2

Mikep90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im trying to get sys-clk to run im keep getting this error sys-clk does not seem to be running, please check that it is correctly installed and enabled. Where would i go to try to get it fix. Im on the latest atmosphere. The hombrew nro and the overlay used for telsa both give me that error

pwjpssdfvqyuhweuxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Im trying to get sys-clk to run im keep getting this error sys-clk does not seem to be running, please check that it is correctly installed and enabled. Where would i go to try to get it fix. Im on the latest atmosphere. The hombrew nro and the overlay used for telsa both give me that error
how did you install it? via the github zip or the homebrew shop?

Mikep90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to use this config file. Could somebody have a look at it and see why its giving me that error sys-clk does not seem to be running, please check that it is correctly installed and enabled when i try to use it.

Attachments

• config.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 63

quick_red

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys think I'll reach levels of power draw that are unsafe for the battery/board if I overclock to 1785/921 CPU/GPU playing docked unmodded games? For example, I'm trying to get better dynamic res on Xenoblade 2, not using 60 fps patches or anything. I'm trying to learn about the safety of overclocking and it seems like the temperature usually isn't an issue, but the power draw could potentially be dangerous to your board or battery. Someone posted in this thread that >~18W could be dangerous but idk if I'd hit that just playing normal games at the tegra max clocks.

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you guys think I'll reach levels of power draw that are unsafe for the battery/board if I overclock to 1785/921 CPU/GPU playing docked unmodded games? For example, I'm trying to get better dynamic res on Xenoblade 2, not using 60 fps patches or anything. I'm trying to learn about the safety of overclocking and it seems like the temperature usually isn't an issue, but the power draw could potentially be dangerous to your board or battery. Someone posted in this thread that >~18W could be dangerous but idk if I'd hit that just playing normal games at the tegra max clocks.
Yes. Very good that you ask it. Many people think it's the rated speed, while that's true, the board isn't designed for those speeds and Erista has a power draw problem. It will use more than 18W with max clocks. Somewhere in this thread someone posted a thumbrule: if you want the GPU to be 921MHz, you should not run the CPU above 1.2GHz (1224MHz). As overclocking always means there's a potentional risk of damaging components, it depends on what you want and how you see it. If you know that you can overclock and have much benefit while staying under or at the limit I'd say that's the best. FYI, 1785/921 can peak at 24W.

Reactions: MSco and jnl1

quick_red

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Very good that you ask it. Many people think it's the rated speed, while that's true, the board isn't designed for those speeds and Erista has a power draw problem. It will use more than 18W with max clocks. Somewhere in this thread someone posted a thumbrule: if you want the GPU to be 921MHz, you should not run the CPU above 1.2GHz (1224MHz). As overclocking always means there's a potentional risk of damaging components, it depends on what you want and how you see it. If you know that you can overclock and have much benefit while staying under or at the limit I'd say that's the best. FYI, 1785/921 can peak at 24W.
Okay, good to know, thanks! I watched the digital foundry video and they mentioned that some games are CPU limited while other games are GPU limited. If I'm playing a game that seems to be CPU limited, do you think it's safe to clock at 1785/768, or should I lower the gpu further?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...