Hacking Question Switch doesn't boot after downgrade from 7.0.1

KuraudoSutoraifu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yep, It's another one of those threads...
I started out on on 7.0.1 and 9 burnt fuses. I wanted to downgrade to 6.2.0, so I did so using ChoiDujourNX. After the downgrade the switch wouldn't boot neither CFW (error code 2000-0000) nor OFW (some other error I don't remember now). I tried to fix this by following the manual downgrade guide on sdsetup.com using ChoiDujour to get to 6.1.0.
Everything seemed to go well, until it came to actually boot the system (step 13.11 of the guide), when I just got a black screen. I saw someone on reddit mention that deleting the contents of the SYSTEM partition with hacdiskmount solved a similar issue for them, so i redid the whole process, and deleted all the SYSTEM files. When booting AMS I now got the atmosphere splash screen and the Nintendo logo and then another black screen. Then someone on here suggested I copy over the generated SYSTEM files from choidujour to the partition. When I did that and tried to boot, I got the Nintendo logo and a black screen.
Can this be fixed or have I fucked up?

A few more curious things I noticed:
- When I first did the manual downgrade guide and uploaded my tsec.bin and fuse.bin that I dumped with hekate to their site to generate my biskeys, it worked fine. But now when I try to redo it the site says my tsec key is invalid. I can still manually type in the key shown in hekate and the site will show me the biskeys, but it's weird, isn't it?
- When I redo the whole process from step 1 and get to the part where the biskeys have to be filled in into hacdiskmount, they are already prefilled. Is that normal?
- I can't get the switch to boot into recovery or safe mode either. Still a black screen after the Nintendo logo.

Last edited by KuraudoSutoraifu,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Did you previously select exFAT support in your downgrade process
Also heard that direct downgrade to 6.2 is troublesome, so maybe restore your 7 Nand backup and go for 6.1 or below?

KuraudoSutoraifu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you previously select exFAT support in your downgrade process
I did choose exFAT support. I actually use a FAT32 formatted sd card, but I read that you should use the exFAT one, since that supports both.

Also heard that direct downgrade to 6.2 is troublesome, so maybe restore your 7 Nand backup and go for 6.1 or below?
I heard that too, but I thought that only was the case for choidujour, not choiNX?
And I didn't make a backup...I know, it's my own fault.

KuraudoSutoraifu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If by choidujour you mean the homebrew on the Switch then yes.
Since we have CFW support on 7 won't it be easier to downgrade from the Switch?
Haven't tried the PC version cause it's risky.

ChoiDujourNX is the switch app, and has no issues with any firmware, which is why I tried to go down to 6.2.0 with it. Something went wrong, I couldn't boot anymore, so I tried to fix it with ChoiDujour
ChoiDujour is the PC app and doesn't work with >6.1.0, which is why I tried to go to 6.1.0 with it

And yeah, I tried using ChoiDujourNX on 7.0.1 cfw, which is what got me into this mess in the first place...

gnilwob

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
ChoiDujourNX is the switch app, and has no issues with any firmware, which is why I tried to go down to 6.2.0 with it. Something went wrong, I couldn't boot anymore, so I tried to fix it with ChoiDujour
ChoiDujour is the PC app and doesn't work with >6.1.0, which is why I tried to go to 6.1.0 with it

And yeah, I tried using ChoiDujourNX on 7.0.1 cfw, which is what got me into this mess in the first place...

pm me your skype or whatsapp or discord.
I can help troubleshooting.

Reactions: KuraudoSutoraifu

Napsterae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I Will send you discord, i am at work right now the other user.
But i am having the same problem, i only backed UP the rawnand and did downgrade to 6.2 with choiNX.
Did the manual downgrade, and i am having Black screen after nintendo logo.

gnilwob

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I Will send you discord, i am at work right now the other user.
But i am having the same problem, i only backed UP the rawnand and did downgrade to 6.2 with choiNX.
Did the manual downgrade, and i am having Black screen after nintendo logo.

I think for your case, it is easier.
Are you an SX user or ReiNX or Kosmos cfw user ?

Can you make sure that the sd file you have is working properly on target firmware ?

(I asked for discord or skype, because it is going to be a troubleshooting and it will require a lot of questions and answer to spot what is wrong.)

Last edited by gnilwob,

Napsterae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think for your case, it is easier.
Are you an SX user or ReiNX or Kosmos cfw user ?

Can you make sure that the sd file you have is working properly on target firmware ?

(I asked for discord or skype, because it is going to be a troubleshooting and it will require a lot of questions and answer to spot what is wrong.)

Napsterae#8923

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Apparently, this error is caused by not wiping savedata. So your best bet is to use hackdiskmount and wipe it your self.

Is this 6.2 specific with choixdujour homebrew or is it a thing with downgrading in general?
And in that case would it be better to reinitialize before a downgrade?
I poked at 6.1 when it came out with my new switch (3.0.0) and reverted back via NAND backup without issue.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Is this 6.2 specific with choixdujour homebrew or is it a thing with downgrading in general?
And in that case would it be better to reinitialize before a downgrade?
I poked at 6.1 when it came out with my new switch (3.0.0) and reverted back via NAND backup without issue.
It is "specific" to downgrades between major updates (in this case key generation).
Best would be to initialize via choidujourNX (it has a option for it).
NAND backup is a different story tho.

Reactions: Zumoly

Napsterae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks to gnilwob i managed to boot the switch.
I had to use the fw 5.1 to work, i was using 6.1 and it didnt work.
So for everyone with this problem try using the 5.1 with the proper keys and follow the tutorial in sdsetup.
I deleted all partitions in safe, system and user, if you have problems do like me and delete all and copy the files generated by choi with 5.1

Reactions: KuraudoSutoraifu

KuraudoSutoraifu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks to gnilwob i managed to boot the switch.
I had to use the fw 5.1 to work, i was using 6.1 and it didnt work.
So for everyone with this problem try using the 5.1 with the proper keys and follow the tutorial in sdsetup.
I deleted all partitions in safe, system and user, if you have problems do like me and delete all and copy the files generated by choi with 5.1

I was just about to message him lol. I tried this, and it worked! Thanks so much to both of you @gnilwob !!!! :)

EDIT: So now that my Switch boots again, what would be the best way to get it to 7.0.1? choiNX or just the normal system update process? I don't want to screw up again xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ