Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Why aren't we allowed SWF Files as avatars anymore? I quite enjoyed having the ability to have mini games in avatars, or higher quality animated and even on animated avatars.

So what's the deal? My new avatar, The Pink Jelly Dude looks better in SWF form...

deduce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nevermind, I thought flash files were not allowed at all but they are allowed in sigs. I remember a forum I use to visit had a problem when someone put a virus in their flash sig so the forum banned the use of flash.

This post that gives a brief explantion to why you can't have a flash file as an avatar.

alexp2_ad

Certified Smart Ass
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We cant anymore??? Dammit... is pong gone from mine then...?

No... it's still there... I take it we just arent allowed to set them anymore... but old ones have stayed? Please leave my pong... no viruses!
wink.gif

lutomes

Trophies
Website
www.lutomes.com
XP
Country
Nevermind, I thought flash files were not allowed at all but they are allowed in sigs. I remember a forum I use to visit had a problem when someone put a virus in their flash sig so the forum banned the use of flash.

This post that gives a brief explantion to why you can't have a flash file as an avatar.

Maybe its too early in the morning for me to "interpret" what you said. But this forum had a problem when someone put a virus in their flash sig. I remember becuse I was online (and got hit by it) when it happened, I used another linux computer without flash installed to come online, work out who had the flash sig. Then contact a forum mod who was on IRC to come and fix the problem without viewing the sig becuase on of the other forum mods that was online at the time got infected too and couldnt do anything.

deduce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe its too early in the morning for me to "interpret" what you said. But this forum had a problem when someone put a virus in their flash sig. I remember becuse I was online (and got hit by it) when it happened, I used another linux computer without flash installed to come online, work out who had the flash sig. Then contact a forum mod who was on IRC to come and fix the problem without viewing the sig becuase on of the other forum mods that was online at the time got infected too and couldnt do anything.
I thought it may have been another forum I visited, but I guess this was the forum that was hit with a virus. All I remember I was that I was lucky because I didn't have flash installed at the time.

EDIT: Great avatar alexp2_ad. I have lost my pong skills; that game is seriously kicking my ass. I've had to modify my goal from beating the AI to just scoring one goal on the AI.
cry.gif

EDIT2: I finally scored a point. I can continue on with my life now.
gba.gif

remisser

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I thought the issue was with avatars that used audio at the startup. Like... people were putting the "YOU ARE AN IDIOT HA HA HA HA" audio loop as an avatar... who wants to hear audio when they start up a thread? Ones like mine and alex's... you need to click something for any audio.

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You can, actually, as long as three conditions are met.

1) Filesize. SWF or not, it still has to be under 15k.
2) Startup. No autoplay on startup. (I had a problem once when people were using the Numa Numa dance as an avatar. My god, was that ever annoying.)
3) Clean. No viruses or other malicious software embedded.

If you conform to those three, go ahead. They shouldn't be too hard, eh?

(I should have been clearer before -- my clock reads those posts as after midnight. I can see why they were troublesome.)

-Tempest out.-

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Well I've got 1 and 3 checked, Condition 2 is a pain in the ass. My Flash is being really annoying, I can't seem to create Stop and Play Buttons.

Any advice?

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I've got 1 and 3 checked, Condition 2 is a pain in the ass. My Flash is being really annoying, I can't seem to create Stop and Play Buttons.

Any advice?
I uh..think hes referring to flash files with audio.
If thats your case and you still need help, pm me and i'll help you out.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You can, actually, as long as three conditions are met.

1) Filesize. SWF or not, it still has to be under 15k.
2) Startup. No autoplay on startup. (I had a problem once when people were using the Numa Numa dance as an avatar. My god, was that ever annoying.)
3) Clean. No viruses or other malicious software embedded.

If you conform to those three, go ahead. They shouldn't be too hard, eh?

(I should have been clearer before -- my clock reads those posts as after midnight. I can see why they were troublesome.)

-Tempest out.-
You should add them to the forum rules, there's no point posting and enforcing it here when it's it's not there. Everyone'll just say that they didn't know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh