super mario odyssey sucks

Deleted member 591971

OP
Trophies
XP
edit: i accidentally presed the enter button

if you correct me spelling mistakes, your argument is invalid.

the game is against basic game design, you have to beat the main boss of a kingdom to get few moons, i say few moons, because you have to beat the damn game if you want all of the moons. this game discourages exploration.

moons are basically thrown everywhere without second though, this is bad because moons dont feel earned
kingdoms are very small for exploration.
the good movement mario odyssey has is not used a lot

• Haha
Reactions: Hayato213

Kitsune_sempai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"if you correct me spelling mistakes"
pirate-spongebob.jpg

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
[...]

Nice invalid argument.

[...] you have to beat the damn game if you want all of the moons. [...]
Ok, Nintendo, please make a game where you enter to the very first level and by just pressing the A button you get all the moons, for fuds sake!

This means you didn't used it as much as you should've had. So its not the designers fault.

Hey Jaffe, is that you?

• Haha
Reactions: Bladexdsl

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree that moons can not feel earned at times cus there's moons where you have to literally just pick up a rock and you get a moon. Then as you said sometimes you have to traverse the entire level and fight a huge boss fight and you get three moons. It's like, all that huge setup for what I essentially picking up three rocks.

Though, you say the levels are too small when they are multiple times larger than 64/sunshine/galaxy levels. And I believe the moveset of Mario is actually put to great use in this game.

Reactions: RedColoredStars

Deleted member 591971

OP
Trophies
XP
Nice invalid argument.

Ok, Nintendo, please make a game where you enter to the very first level and by just pressing the A button you get all the moons, for fuds sake!

This means you didn't used it as much as you should've had. So its not the designers fault.

Hey Jaffe, is that you?
what i meant, is that you need to explore the kingdoms 3 times, the first time you won't get like 90% of the moons, and the 80% of that 90% is unlocked after you beat the game. mario's moveset is only used when you are trying to skip content. aka: you are punished for exploring early
I agree that moons can not feel earned at times cus there's moons where you have to literally just pick up a rock and you get a moon. Then as you said sometimes you have to traverse the entire level and fight a huge boss fight and you get three moons. It's like, all that huge setup for what I essentially picking up three rocks.

Though, you say the levels are too small when they are multiple times larger than 64/sunshine/galaxy levels. And I believe the moveset of Mario is actually put to great use in this game.
depends of the kingdom. i only remember the sand kingdom being larger than most other mario 64 levels. i only used mario's moveset to skip content.

if you like this game, thats fine, i can appreciate mario odyssey but i just never liked it.
Post automatically merged:

also most mario odyssey kingdoms are forgettable. i only remember a few ones like the first one, the second one, and the sand kingdom, the other ones i forget them all the goddamn time

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly thought odyssey was well put together and I thought the distribution of moons forced you to explore. Sometimes more than I wanted. Its not my favorite mario game but that ptobably has more to do with nostalgia than any real shortcoming in the game. The game also did a good job of nodding to the long time fans of the series.
But everyone has their own thing. Wonder has some cool level dynamics but Im not a big fan of the game overall.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the game is against basic game design, you have to beat the main boss of a kingdom to get few moons, i say few moons, because you have to beat the damn game if you want all of the moons. this game discourages exploration.

moons are basically thrown everywhere without second though, this is bad because moons dont feel earned
Ah, a simpleton complaining about a game not being as simplistic as they want it to be.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The majority of people like it and reviews are good. Sounds like you are just whining because they didn't make a game exactly how you wanted it. Time to move on.

Reactions: PacBunnyXV07

Deleted member 591971

OP
Trophies
XP
mario odyssey uses its graphics and nostalgia to hide how bad it is.
The majority of people like it and reviews are good. Sounds like you are just whining because they didn't make a game exactly how you wanted it. Time to move on.
mario odyssey is mostly for children with its stupid design decisions, since mario odyssey nintendo has been downhill like, i haven't seen any game that catched my attention. i didn't like zelda tears of the kingdom kill me i dare you. now i feel like they are going back to the quality with super mario bros wonder (which isn't my favorite game in the world but it is a step in the right direction) and the paper mario the thousend year door remake which was my favorite game of all time, i only played it once. i played bowser's fury and it's also like, pretty good, i hated it when it came out.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I usually tear Nintendo into shreds but Odyssey is their last truly classic game in my opinion, and their only genuinely great original Switch game with Fire Emblem Three Houses (and Fire Emblem Engage to a lesser extent).

It's not without flaws, I agree moon placement can feel a bit random and filler sometimes. I also hate that without cheats you can't play a sort of new game+ with all costumes already unlocked, this hurts replayability a lot to me. Anyway I did cheat to get my new game+ and played the game twice, and will probably go back to it again at some point. That's saying something to me.

In contrast, playing Super Mario Wonder felt like a chore, I couldn't finish it fast enough, and don't feel like I'm ever going to go back to it.

Last edited by Ligeia,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was excited to play Odyssey but was bored with it pretty quickly. It looks nice and all but just didn't hook me with the possession thing. Galaxy was probably my favorite 3D Mario.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any 3D game after super mario 64 sucks (but i like the DS remake of Mario 64 also)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
And we need to know this why?

*facepalms hard*

In most 3D Mario games, you had to get the stars (or whatever flavor of the month Nintendo decided to call them) in order.
Platformers have traditionally been more or less linear, and Odyssey is a lot less linear than anything that came before it, and largely lets you do things in whatever order you want. The bosses are among the few exceptions to that, and they aren't much of an obstacle.
This complaint would be much better directed at Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario Galaxy.

Also, Super Mario Odyssey is not an open world game, which it sounds like is what you expect from it. Nobody ever claimed it was open world. If you go into a game with unrealistic expectations, you're bound to be disappointed. Have you considered that platformers might just not be for you? Doesn't mean the game is bad.

This I agree with 100%. One of my only big complaints about the game is there are just too many damn moons, and they're strewn around the place without any care and attention, in such a way that you're guaranteed to miss some. It just doesn't feel worth going through the extra effort to collect them all when many of them are so easy that they don't even feel rewarding, basically just a matter of combing the entire map, which is not fun.

In contrast to any other 3D Mario, which I've usually enjoyed 100%ing, because each star was a unique challenge and you had very few copy and paste repeats. The only bad cases of repeats that comes to mind in previous 3D Marios were the Shadow Mario shines and FLUDD-less shines in Sunshine, and I hated both of them.

The game is designed to be easy to pick up and play for an average gamer or someone new to the game, while also giving skilled players (including speedrunners) fun mechanics they can use for an added challenge.

In order for your game to have a wide appeal, it needs to have a gentle difficulty curve. Raise the difficulty too much too quickly, before people have had the time to get proficient enough with the controls, and they're not going to continue playing it.

Nintendo obviously wants their games to have as wide of an appeal as possible. In this way, they can appeal both to casual gamers and seasoned speedrunners alike.
That is the best move to make. If you're fine with the difficulty level, play the game the normal, "boring" way. If you want an added challenge, make heavy use of the Cappy moves and maybe eventually even try speedrunning.

Considering Super Mario Odyssey introduced many new mechanics to platformers as a whole, it would simply make the learning curve too steep for many people if advanced Cappy moves were required. All those years of muscle memory from playing past platformers don't help at all when it comes to brand new mechanics. Not to mention kids who may never have played a 3D platformer before, which remain a core part of Nintendo's target audience.
I personally found some of the Cappy mechanics to be quite unintuitive (despite being fun), making them difficult to get used to, which does not help the learning curve. I'm glad they were not heavily used but I could've appreciated them being used a little more as they essentially felt entirely optional. That would've probably made the game too difficult for the youngest of Nintendo's target audience, though.

I could see a potential DLC or sequel having a higher difficulty and requiring frequent use of Cappy moves. Given that people have had ample time to get used to the controls and mechanics from the existing game.
Much like New Super Luigi U had a higher difficulty than NSMBU, and required you to keep a much quicker pace given the short time limit for beating each level.

I think though that if a DLC or sequel were likely, we would've already heard of it. We'll see what happens with the Switch 2 or Switch Pro or whatever it ends up being. Super Mario Odyssey was quite successful, so a sequel, or a port to the new console with extra content is not out of the question.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
  • Love
Reactions: 1NOOB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto