Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life also coming to PS5, Xbox Series X|S and PC

Announced during last month's Nintendo Direct, the GameCube title Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life will be getting remade as Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life. While it was originally only announced for Switch, western publishers XSEED and Marvelous! have announced that it will be coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC as well.

The remake is expected to launch simultaneously on every major platform in Summer 2023.

About

Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life revisits the tranquil community of Forgotten Valley where the protagonist fulfills their father and his friend Takakura’s dream of running a farm. As the seasons go by, they will find their lifelong partner, raise a child together, and watch them grow up. Will their child carry on the family’s farm legacy or find their calling somewhere else? Only time will tell…

An unforgettable tale of friendship, family, and farming blooms back to life for a new generation. Originally released for the Nintendo GameCube (and later the PlayStation 2), the Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life remake introduces a plethora of new events, enhanced festivals, a cornucopia of never-before-seen crops, and even more recipes to cook. Returning fans will find plenty of exciting updates to Forgotten Valley, while newcomers to the series will discover the joys of cozy farm life and the extraordinary characters that make this series shine.

Key Features

• Befriend the Residents of Forgotten Valley – Find new friends among the charming cast of characters in the tranquil town of Forgotten Valley and get to know them through all-new events!
  • Establish Your Homestead – Live a carefree life on the farm growing crops and raising animals. Raise even cuter animals, new hybrid crops and build upgradeable facilities.
  • Your Story, Your Way ‒ With the option to play as a male, female, or non-binary protagonist, as well as all eligible marriage candidates available for romance regardless of that choice, you can truly be who you want to be.
  • Fall in Love, Start a Family, and Build Precious Memories – Watch your child grow into adulthood as the years pass! Will they inherit the farm? Or will they find their calling somewhere else?
  • A Wonderful Life for a New Generation – Revisit a beloved story as never before, with reimagined visuals, animations, and additional updates to bring A Wonderful Life to a new generation.

MasterPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, well, well ... if it isn't the ugly head of Nostalgia Bait... this looks neither good nor bad to be honest.
But I'm a little confused. Didn't the makers of HM and SoS break up with Marvelous over the Harvest Moon IP?

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, well, well ... if it isn't the ugly head of Nostalgia Bait... this looks neither good nor bad to be honest.
But I'm a little confused. Didn't the makers of HM and SoS break up with Marvelous over the Harvest Moon IP?
From what I remember, basically whoever published the HM games outside of japan only had the rights to the name, not the games themselves. So when the split thing happened, they basically only had just the "Harvest Moon" name while the original devs just renamed the series "Story of Seasons" and continued from there.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I remember, basically whoever published the HM games outside of japan only had the rights to the name, not the games themselves. So when the split thing happened, they basically only had just the "Harvest Moon" name while the original devs just renamed the series "Story of Seasons" and continued from there.
hence why you have weird stuff like harvest moon friends of mineral town being remade as story of seasons friends of mineral town

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though Story of Seasons has alliteration, I think Harvest Moon still sounds better. Maybe one day they will swap names and confuse everyone even more.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Even though Story of Seasons has alliteration, I think Harvest Moon still sounds better. Maybe one day they will swap names and confuse everyone even more.
I just want them to call it harvest moon again, the whole naming drama is stupid. It's Dark Souls/Demon Souls all over again.

Reactions: Zajumino

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want them to call it harvest moon again, the whole naming drama is stupid. It's Dark Souls/Demon Souls all over again.
Well Natsume is the company that owns the original font/name and has released nothing of value ever since.

They're a shovelware company desperately clinging to an IP they didn't create just to trick people who aren't aware of the naming situation into buying garbage.

Marvelous did nothing wrong besides failing to secure their IP rights.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I really need to get back to Mineral Town.

I have tried to beat this game (well, marry the Goddess, at least) a minimum of eight times, between the original GBA release and the new one on the Switch.

Now that I know it backwards and forwards, from actually spending more than a thousand hours playing it on multiple attempts, it should be easy. Somehow, I always lose steam right after I get the Teleport Stone. Another game somehow always comes along and steals my attention, and I always wind up starting over.

I am GOING to marry the Harvest Goddess before 2022 is over. It's going to happen, dammit. I still love you, Karen.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Man, I really need to get back to Mineral Town.

I have tried to beat this game (well, marry the Goddess, at least) a minimum of eight times, between the original GBA release and the new one on the Switch.

Now that I know it backwards and forwards, from actually spending more than a thousand hours playing it on multiple attempts, it should be easy. Somehow, I always lose steam right after I get the Teleport Stone. Another game somehow always comes along and steals my attention, and I always wind up starting over.

I am GOING to marry the Harvest Goddess before 2022 is over. It's going to happen, dammit. I still love you, Karen.
I was just a mythril miner in mineral town on the GBA.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just a mythril miner in mineral town on the GBA.
I just booted up my game of SoS - FoMT from at least a year and a half ago, and I am SO lost.

This is one of those games that, when you're playing it and you're into it, you are keyed into everything about it, and you can run through your daily routine on pure mental muscle memory.

Step away for awhile, and it's almost overwhelming when you see how much shit you've already done and how much there is left to do. When did I get a penguin? Oh, that's when. Why is his name 'Tyler'? Because Fight Club.

Why do I have a sheep named Queef?

• Haha
Reactions: Jayro

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hence why you have weird stuff like harvest moon friends of mineral town being remade as story of seasons friends of mineral town
Well Natsume is the company that owns the original font/name and has released nothing of value ever since.

They're a shovelware company desperately clinging to an IP they didn't create just to trick people who aren't aware of the naming situation into buying garbage.

Marvelous did nothing wrong besides failing to secure their IP rights.
Okay so just to give the full context on this, because it's crazy how clever Natsume were.

The games were always called Story of Seasons in Japan (Bokujou Monogatari). Natsume decided to rename the games when they published them in the west, secured the rights to the name, and continued to make their own, much worse farming games using the name of the established series when they broke up with Marvellous.

Honestly it's so clever, and entirely confusing and misleading to people who have grown up and loved the Story of Seasons brand. I have to appreciate the hustle, and genuinely wonder if this was just the plan from the start.

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm super happy this gets remade as it was one of the two Harvest Moons that shaped my childhood. The other being Back to Nature, I hope that will get the remake treatment aswell.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember seeing a Doraemon game of this franchise, but when I saw it was about farming I was pretty disappointed.

Feels like it's a game with different reskins.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so just to give the full context on this, because it's crazy how clever Natsume were.

The games were always called Story of Seasons in Japan (Bokujou Monogatari). Natsume decided to rename the games when they published them in the west, secured the rights to the name, and continued to make their own, much worse farming games using the name of the established series when they broke up with Marvellous.

Honestly it's so clever, and entirely confusing and misleading to people who have grown up and loved the Story of Seasons brand. I have to appreciate the hustle, and genuinely wonder if this was just the plan from the start.
well...rather, the name was never changed in japan throughout all of this, it was however not story of seasons as far as I can figure out. not sure where that came from?. the rest still stands, definitely could be one hell of a 9 steps ahead move though how they handled the ownership of the title still. also could have been seen at the time as "either we translate it or nobody translate it, why would they need the name"

1667219220980.png

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well...rather, the name was never changed in japan throughout all of this, it was however not story of seasons as far as I can figure out. not sure where that came from?. the rest still stands, definitely could be one hell of a 9 steps ahead move though how they handled the ownership of the title still. also could have been seen at the time as "either we translate it or nobody translate it, why would they need the name"

View attachment 335015
Ahh my bad, the Japanese title was Ranch Story. I knew it had story in it but completely blanked on the other word so made an assumption!

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
they butchering a classic game by adding woke crap and destroying iconic characters
so more like Story of Season a Woke Life

Reactions: ZeroFX

GlennGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I should be excited about this, but to be honest, it doesn't look that good, I'd rather play the classic Harvest Moon games. Maybe because I prefer the 2D graphics. tbh, I didn't really like all those SoS games on the 3DS as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel