Steam Deck for working (Blender and Windows in general) or normal PC?

What would you do in my situation?

• Get a Steam Deck

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Get a normal PC

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Send the old PC for repair (Cheap)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Louis Miles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My old work laptop, on which I usually use Blender and Windows programs as well as emulators like Dolphin, has broken down. A repair makes sense, but I'm still thinking about buying a new, more powerful computer. However, since powerful PCs can be quite expensive, I'm considering whether it would make sense to buy a Steam Deck instead. The Steam Deck seems to be a pretty powerful console and is also a customizable computer. Windows is also installable and in addition I would even have a touch display that I could even use to sculpt in ZBrush and Blender.

Would something like that really be worth it?

The feedback from Windows on the Steam Deck is mixed. Others say it runs great, others say half don't work right. And I still haven't figured out if Windows works at all smoothly with the touch controls without input lag.

Blender is fortunately already available in the Steam Store and I have seen some positive videos about it, but I also use some Windows programs for my work.

On the other hand, I don't know if a regular PC would make more sense. I don't need the most powerful computer, just one that is reasonably fast to play Blender and emulators properly. However, since the Steam Deck seems to be an emulator beast, I think that might be enough for me. I mean, even the Switch emulator Yuzu seems to run pretty well on the Steam Deck! And besides, not all laptops have a touchscreen.
Additionally I am a big emulator fan and maybe it would be a win-win situation for me.

What would you do in my situation?

Last edited by Louis Miles,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd say Steam Deck is a pretty solid stopgap until you get a new PC (or repair the current one). Dunno how well Windows productivity apps will work, but you can always dual boot until you find out, and worst case I believe there are Linux alternatives which allow you to work in the same file formats.

Reactions: Louis Miles

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think people should buy Steam Decks if they are looking for portable gaming. If they really aren't into portable gaming that much, then they should stick with what they are used to using.

Laptop has everything all together. It's portable.

Steam Deck will require accessories because running Blender will most likely require the precision a mouse bring and a keyboard because of shortcuts. So you are talking a dock, keyboard/mouse, and you mentioned something about another touchscreen, so now it's way less portable then a laptop for most likely less processing power.

A PC is upgradeable, powerful, but not portable.

Get what fits your needs the best.

Or be like me and just but the Steam Deck because it's the best freaking portable emulator that can also run decent games and supported buy a big decent company. I didn't need my Steam Deck, I really couldn't afford it, but I still bought it.

Reactions: Louis Miles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4