SSD for USBLoaderGX needs to be unplugged and re-plugged in order to work

moch123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been trying to get USBLoaderGX working on my homebrewed vWii for a minute now, using a Samsung Portable T7 SSD. After a bit of tinkering I found that using CIOS 249 as my Loader CIOS, USBLoaderGX will pick up on my SSD, but ONLY if I unplug it and replug it back in while it is doing the 20-second countdown waiting for a hard drive. I can play games perfectly fine with this set up, although I have to unplug and re-plug my SSD every time I load USBLoaderGX.

...Of course, I don't want to keep doing this over and over every time I load up the software for fear of wearing down my Wii U's USB ports. Using 58 as my Loader CIOS was able to get it to recognize and show my list of games without having to unplug and replug, but would either crash or send me back to the Homebrew Channel when trying to load a game.

My SSD is formatted as FAT32, with MBR and no hidden partitions, and is being plugged into the correct upper back port of the Wii U system. I believe that I have the right setup for my CIOS although I can't send a syscheck (vWii won't connect to the internet, but that's a separate issue entirely.)

Any ideas?

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try using cIOS 251 instead of IOS 58, since cIOS 251 should be using IOS 58 as it's base anyway. Then if you're still experiencing crashes open up the loaders meta.xml file in something like notepad and change the boot IOS from 58 to 251.

Using 58 as my Loader CIOS was able to get it to recognize and show my list of games without having to unplug and replug, but would either crash or send me back to the Homebrew Channel when trying to load a game.
Assuming you're using a Y cable and this isn't a power issue, your SSD might not work correctly when cIOS reloads occur. So you could try changing the global IOS setting for games from auto to 251 too, although doing this will reduce game compatibility.

Last edited by blackb0x,
Reactions: jeannotte

moch123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried changing the meta.xml file with no luck, but I tried using a flash drive instead of my SSD just to test on Boot iOS 249 and everything worked just fine, even loading into and playing games.

I'm not using a Y-cable unfortunately because I saw a few posts saying that SSD's require less power and therefore don't need to take advantage of the second port. Is this for sure a power issue then? Seems odd to me how it can work just fine after unplugging and plugging back in if it's really a problem with the power. Could it be some settings on my SSD that could be the cause of this? Maybe some incompatibility? I'll probably be ordering a Y-cable in the next few days to test it out and see if this issue still props up.

Side note: When I was first trying to get USBLoader GX set up with an old hard drive on one USB port I found disconnecting and reconnecting it also worked to recognize and play games on that drive (with iOS 249), although the games did end up crashing after a few minutes due to what I assume was a lack of power.

Chumplet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I tried changing the meta.xml file with no luck, but I tried using a flash drive instead of my SSD just to test on Boot iOS 249 and everything worked just fine, even loading into and playing games.

I'm not using a Y-cable unfortunately because I saw a few posts saying that SSD's require less power and therefore don't need to take advantage of the second port. Is this for sure a power issue then? Seems odd to me how it can work just fine after unplugging and plugging back in if it's really a problem with the power. Could it be some settings on my SSD that could be the cause of this? Maybe some incompatibility? I'll probably be ordering a Y-cable in the next few days to test it out and see if this issue still props up.

Side note: When I was first trying to get USBLoader GX set up with an old hard drive on one USB port I found disconnecting and reconnecting it also worked to recognize and play games on that drive (with iOS 249), although the games did end up crashing after a few minutes due to what I assume was a lack of power.
Hi,

I'm having a similar issue with a Samsung T7 - MIne does boot on first load but not on subsequent loads. HDD countdown begins. If I delete the Recycle Bin (which mystically appears after connecting to my PC) it boots fine again.. but only on the first attempt.. I am stumped. Did you ever find a solution or just bin the SSD in favour of a USB Flash drive?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1