Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gallery_111084_186_8485.jpg

Sony has announced that their Tablet S, powered by Android, now supports the PS3 Dual Shock controller. The set-up program requires users to link the controller using a USB connector, but once it is synced the controller will function wirelessly. This begs the question, will a similar tool be released by accomplished Android programmers? Chime in and let us know your thoughts.

icon11.gif
Source

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's already one, actually. Well, for the most part, requires use of a computer. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller&hl=en

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember reading about this awhile ago. Google planned for ICS (ice cream sandwich) to have native support for PS3 controllers. Part of the deal with Sony was for Sony tabs to get the support first and other tablets to fallow later when ICS was released. Various delays put the support on hold sadly.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
umm, awkward playing a tablet with a wireless controller when you can have way better and less weird experience witha PSvita, if you are a sony thingy.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the sixaxis program thats available does work fine on most android stuff, but it does not work with everything. it all depends on the bluetooth within the phones OS. my stock rom on my captivate did not work with it, but my cm7 2.3.7 rom works fine.

i see why this would be better as it would be native support, for now it seems it just translates controller presses to keyboard presses.

DarkSzero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I've played Super Metroid on my Milestone last year with a Wiimote. Yeah. It's nice to see the big corporations trying to provide decent gaming controllers for these new "gaming plataforms". It's just that a portable device with a separate wireless controller is quite uncomfortable...

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can use a dual shock 3 on android tablets but it requires root. i use the wiimote app and use the classic controller instead. (no root required)
Exactly. Only real advantage here depends on what controllers you have lying around.

If you have a Wiimote already, buy a classic controller and you're good to go. If you have a PS3 controller and a Wiimote, stick with the sixaxis. Neither? Get the sixaxis, it's cheaper than buying a wiimote and a classic controller.

Can't root? Get the Wiimote.
Have an HTC Phone? You might be screwed in both cases. Try the Sixaxis, but I can guarantee that the Wiimote app doesn't work with HTC Sense. Root, switch to an AOSP ROM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Dude just shat himself.