Hardware Something very interesting about the joycons

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was playing Mario Odyssey and I had the joycons right next to my face. I was scrolling through the moon list when I noticed something. As I went down the list, the HD rumble emitted a tiny, high pitched noise. This in itself is no surprise. After all, sound is just vibration. The cool part was that the pitch got lower and lower as I went down the list. It got higher as I went up. I suppose there must be tiny rumble changes in each spot down of the list, but the fact that Nintendo would even include that is really cool to me.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
HD Rumble works by essentially playing a sound file through the rumble motor. In Mario Kart 8 it makes a sound when you pick up a coin. Try it or find a video on youtube of you don't have the game.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already saw something close to that on the original Xbox on Halo 1, there was a part with some lightning effects that make the controllers to change pitch from being further or closer to it, a very nice effect.

Zanoab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HD Rumble works by essentially playing a sound file through the rumble motor. In Mario Kart 8 it makes a sound when you pick up a coin. Try it or find a video on youtube of you don't have the game.

Golf Story uses it for everything. I was playing it in public with the sound off and the HD rumble was still going off to match the (muted) sound effects.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I've noticed in games like Golf Story that the HD rumble seems capable of emitting certain sounds. Its quite interesting, still its a small shame that one of the joycons didn't have a speaker. The Wii had a few games that made legitimately good use of the speaker in the Wiimote, kind of a small bummer to not see that fully return.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto