Hacking Some General Questions / Advice

istmeedoofer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

I have been getting into the Wii again recently, mainly for the WiiFit side of things..

I have a working setup that dates back from 2011, it’s all up to date and works OK but is messy with regards to file layout an options, over the years I’ve changed things but cant remember why.

I now have a second Wii that I am playing about with to get a better cleaner, simpler system, however this has raised a few questions.

New setup:-

System menu 4.3E
BootMii installed as Boot2 (bootmii IOS NOT installed)
cios d2x v8 with base 57 installed in slot 249 (I never noticed any speed differences between 56 & 57 so thought I would go with compatibility)
uneek v96 created with modmii using a NAND dump created with USB Loader GX 1268 located at usb:\nand
USBLoader 1268
500Gb HDD in a generic USB2 enclosure.
Connected to the TV with component leads.

Question 1)
I boot directly into USB Loader GX, for ages I was using a modified armboot.bin with no issues, however it would seem the Cyan recommends “bootmii mod UNEO” that has a modified ppcboot.elf. What are the differences, both seem to work, are there any advantages of one over the other ?

Question 2)
Having installed neek2o I thought I could move my NAND to a different location, I setup usb:\\nands\real and moved the existing NAND dump in here, then changed the path in the loader, however….. USB Loader sees the nand and channels installed on it however if I click on a channel, where the animated banner would be it is black and if launched I just get returned to the loader, the same nand dump worked when located at usb\nand . A fresh dump into usb:\\nands\real still does not work. What am I missing ?

Question 3)
The TV my second Wii is connected to does not like some of the old VC games in 240p, I get a black screen, I found the nunchuck method to force the screen resolution but is there a method to force USB Loader to do this ? I found references to it in here but no definitive answer, the game load option did not seem to do anything. NOt a big deal this one...

Question 4)
I have nswitch 2.2, is there a later version ? Is this the best way so switch to Emunand ? I don’t need to do it often…

I appreciate there is a lot there, any advice welcome……

PS a huge thanks to Cyan & Greywolf for all their handwork and time !

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Try this instead for direct booting. It's a tiny app that launches the forwarder rather than the dol directly. That gives it the AHB permissions it needs to fully function. You should be able to rename the elf file and launch it with BootMii.

2. If you move your NAND folder from SD to NAND or vice versa you have to have a different version of the NEEK2O kernel. I think it's ok to leave the sneek folder on both devices but I'm not sure.

3. I'm not sure about this one. :P

4. I think there's an nSwitch 2.4? You don't need it to boot NEEK from USB Loader GX but you need it installed to your NAND folder to return to real mode from a title.

istmeedoofer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. Try this instead for direct booting. It's a tiny app that launches the forwarder rather than the dol directly. That gives it the AHB permissions it needs to fully function. You should be able to rename the elf file and launch it with BootMii.

2. If you move your NAND folder from SD to NAND or vice versa you have to have a different version of the NEEK2O kernel. I think it's ok to leave the sneek folder on both devices but I'm not sure.

3. I'm not sure about this one. :P

4. I think there's an nSwitch 2.4? You don't need it to boot NEEK from USB Loader GX but you need it installed to your NAND folder to return to real mode from a title.

Thanks for the reply GreyWolf, appreciated.

1. So rename uneoboot.elf to ppcboot.elf and pop it into the bootmii dir yes? Thanks I will give that ago . I was previously using the forwarder from here, is it the same sort of thing ? https://gbatemp.net/threads/bootmii-channel-forwarders.356995/

2. I’ve not moved the NAND folder from one device to another, just to a different location on the same device, I did update the path in the Loader...

usb:\\nands\real\ <This gave me a black banner and no game
usb:\\nand\ <- This works fine ?!

3.The nunchuck trick seems to set a global option so no big deal.

4. I didn’t find 2.4 but must admit I didn’t look too far, I decided I didn’t need it :)

Thanks again.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try naming it something very short (i.e. /nands/0/)

Also make sure you're using a version of USB Loader GX >1262 (I think.) There was a flaw that used a maximum path length that was too short.

Last edited by GreyWolf,
Reactions: istmeedoofer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, would you recommend playing n64 games on a ps3 through retroarch?