Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Maybe when it's down to ten bucks and enough phone provider points... Honestly, I don't see the fuss behind this, but I have a crappy phone that does just what it's asked : pass and receive calls, no camera, fridge, or intarbutts on it...

Do they still make cheap, phone-only cell phones? Or is a modern phone worth it nowadays, in your opinion?

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the people who saw the press release, was he taking a jab at the Nintendo DS?

"Stylus? That's SO outdated. What's the point?"

Granted he coul dbe talking about the hundred and thousands of other PDA devices.

oteck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
for a person like me who hates phones this nifty thing will be doing other things than make phone calls
tongue.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I still don't understand the phone fad. A phone should make calls and that's it. I'm perfectly happy with my old-fashioned phone with no color screen and no fancy games. I use it maybe once or twice a month to make a call if I get lost or something. Why do I need my phone to be able to butter my toast? That's what a knife is for.
I sort of agree, some of the stuff they pack on these things now is a bit silly but others aren't. Decent internet on a phone would be useful if they ever get the conenction fees / speeds up properly. Maps would be a good safety net for times when you've forgotten to bring one. And a calculator is essential if your mental arithmetic's as bad as mine
biggrin.gif

Personally I don't play phone games, already have an MP3 player and could do without having another camera-enabled phone in the pub for our restless mate to take pointless pictures through the bottom of a pint glass when he's bored. (admittedly the amusement when he forgets to check the glass is actually empty first and pours it all over himself is worth it but that's beside the point) Some people would find this stuff useful, I'm just not one of them.

I suppose the main worry with multi-function products is that the more functions the device can perform the poorer it does them. I'd rather have a fantastic reliable phone than a crap mp3-camera-toastmaking battery chewer.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought audiophile reviews state that the new gen (2nd batch of 4th gen and beyond) have a very good DAC, and it's one of the highest quality portable sources available?

Also regarding your 32gb microdrive, that probably cost triple your PDA in the first place. They are putting the iPhone with 8GB because they know it's not an iPod replacement. It's useful for audio of course, but only as a side feature... after all it's called iPhone and not iPodcaller or whatever.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might need a new name, got this from NME.com
There is confusion in the music and technology world today over whether Apple has the rights to the use of the name 'iPhone'.

"As previously reported, Apple launched their combined phone and MP3 player, the iPhone, yesterday (January 9).

However, IT company Cisco own the rights to that name and, in fact, launched an unrelated product three weeks ago called the iPhone - an internet phone.

Charlie Giancarlo, Cisco's head of development, told The Times: "The iPhone mark has been ours since 1996. Apple did ask if they could buy it. We didn't want to part from it."

Initially there was some speculation that Apple's new launch might be called the PodPhone, but since the new gadget's launch it appears a compromise has been reached between the two companies.

Cisco have since admitted that they gave Apple lawyers the final terms of an agreement the night before the unveiling of Apple's iPhone, but there has been no comment from either Apple or Cisco over whether the name has yet been agreed upon.

Apple also launched a new video stream service at yesterday's press conference in San Francisco called Apple TV."

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
linksys also have a VOIP phone called an iPhone
haha

EDIT: http://blog.t3.co.uk/page/t3?entry=world_s_first_hands_on
..hand's on preview review

=]

from the sounds of the multitouch technology, it seems like software gimmickery can recognise what you're trying to touch even if you miss it (small links on webpages etc)

dblank

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll buy one of these in a heartbeat once they drop that stupid 2 year contract nonsense, and drop the price to < $500, if it has decent CPU/RAM specs.

I'd love to use something like this for voip, web browsing, various touch screen "remote control" type of apps (multi-touch will be great), and of course the whole music/movie playback thing..

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the screen resolution.. Nokia's new N800, while not a cellphone, has a beautiful 800x480 screen, is priced at $399 without any BS contracts, and you can buy one right now.

OSX is definately my favorite OS, and I expect to see it running on more handheld devices at some point, can't wait to see what comes of all this
smile.gif

mcsquared

Trophies
XP
Country
i want one.

now.

not next year.

and im just about to upgrade to a pda on orange too - it'll feel crap compared to this
frown.gif

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like Apple's lawyers dropped the ball on this, they are already getting sued for trademark violation:

Cisco sues Apple over use of iPhone name By JORDAN ROBERTSON, AP Business Writer
19 minutes ago

Cisco Systems Inc. said Wednesday it is suing Apple Inc. in federal court over Apple's use of Cisco's registered iPhone trademark for its new handheld device.

Cisco has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.

And three weeks ago, Cisco's Linksys division put the trademark to use, releasing an Internet-enabled phone called "iPhone" that uses the increasingly popular Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

On Tuesday, Apple unveiled the iPhone, its "game-changing" touch-screen-controlled cell phone device that plays music, surfs the Web and delivers voicemail and e-mail.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco is seeking injunctive relief to prevent Apple from copying Cisco's iPhone trademark.

"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha hmmmph

"Apple responded by saying the lawsuit was "silly" and that Cisco's trademark registration was "tenuous at best".

"We think Cisco's trademark lawsuit is silly," Apple spokesman Alan Hely said. "There are already several companies using the name iPhone for Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) products."

(www.bbc.co.uk)

And before everyone goes "iPhone" is blatently stolen by cisco from the iPod branding.. well, no. 1st gen iPod was released in 2001.

Also from the same page it stated that apple's shares went up 8% =0
You'd have to be silly not to buy shares before Macworld conferences nowadays!

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've been waiting for exactly this phone for about 5 years now. I'm surprised that Apple got it right but if you think about it, who else could? (Well, I had some hopes for Palm and Motorola but they suck more than I thought.
mad.gif
) Fuck the price, if it's possible I'm going to import it at launch. I'm saving up now. Does anyone know any iPhone gaming sites, yet, or want to start one? I've still got some contacts to some awesome independent (touchscreen-) game developers from the Palm gaming scene. With some luck we could get some things rolling...
and wouldn't gaming be very awkward with only a touch screen?
No. The only thing you need is games designed for it. Gloop Zero, Plazmoids!, Kirby Canvas Curse, Pac Pix, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Phoenix Wright, Warfare Inc., Elite Beat Agents, Legacy, Noiz2 Java, ...

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One extra feature that would kick ass is a programmable remote for your TV, Xbox360, PS2, Stereo Reciever, DVD player, ect... I have a nice ass remote now that is touch screen that does that...but one device to control EVERYTHING would be neat....and it's a phone lol

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One extra feature that would kick ass is a programmable remote for your TV, Xbox360, PS2, Stereo Reciever, DVD player, ect... I have a nice ass remote now that is touch screen that does that...but one device to control EVERYTHING would be neat....and it's a phone lol

Yeah, you get a call on the phone & cannot change the channel or WORSE a woman gets a call on it!!! LOL!
rofl2.gif

(females: send all complaints to my attourney - mthrnite)

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Problem: As far as we know the thing has no IR. Maybe someone could make a little hardware attachment, though. Maybe for GPS, too.

brins0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
brins0net.homeip.net
XP
Country

Problem: As far as we know the thing has no IR. Maybe someone could make a little hardware attachment, though. Maybe for GPS, too.

Just another little nail in the iPhone/podPhone/phonePod/applePodPhone thing... almost ALL windows mobile powered smartphones and PDAs can run remote control software that can learn from existing remote controls, without the need for additional adapters. My old HP h2210 came with a really good one in rom, and it had a really powereful IRdA chip in it too, almost 30ft
ohmy.gif

Since the apple phone will have no SDIO ports on it, of any kind, you will most likely NOT be able to add an IRdA tranceiver onto it to use it as a remote control, nor will you be able to operate radio freq remote control based systems (like garage doors an other shitz).

Also, most of the modern windows mobile powered devices have GPS built into them, and if they don't (which mine doesn't) you can get very cheap bluetooth receivers for them (I assume it's work for this apple phone too) and then you simply download and install the software to interpret the information fed from the receiver, ie TomTom, iGo, Navigon... (something which will most likely not appear on the apple phone for a while)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/4Z-enjtn7t0?si=JxP181zLddGOC9jQ