Gaming So I just bought a Switch, games worth getting straight away?

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Aside from the obvious first party titles, what games worth getting for this console? RPGs, Puzzle games (with depth) are good choices, and some decent games for the kids to play too.

The future is looking pretty good for the Switch, but right now the catalogue isn't too big.

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (I've played it for about 12 hours so far I think? It's amazing despite me already beating in on PS4)
Sonic Mania
Mario & Rabbids

There are a few more I'd recommend but they're the obvious 1st party picks.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ARMS, and MK8 are great (if you didn't own a Wii U Previously.)
The only downside is, most 1st party games cost 59.99, its ridiculous because three games could easily add up to how much the system is worth.

If your trying to stay on a budget, I would recommend buying Minecraft (Its 19.99 I think.), Sonic Mania, and Overcooked there are a few other titles but they are not released yet or are in development and may not come out until 2018. Like Stardew Valley, Terraria, War Grove, The Escapists, Pocket Rumble, Sonic Forces, and Rouge Trooper Redux.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for single player (or online)
botw (goty here . . . just waiting for it to be official)
mk8 (the return of the second item slot and true battle mode . . . woot)
splatoon (shitty matchmaking . . . but still an awesome game)
minecraft (. . . soon to be "better together")

for multiplayer (in house)
overcooked (time management with [or vs] your buds . . . what could go wrong . . . lol)
sonic mania (the first sonic game to feel like a sonic game in years)
snipperclips (gives a new meaning to co-op)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only have five games, Shovel Knight treasure trove, Sonic mania, Mighty Gunvolt burst, Blaster master zero are all good choices. You can also download Azure striker gunvolt striker pack from eshop or buy retail sometime in october, i will be getting that one too.

Due to prices of some games, i have not obtained yet, but will plan to get, on discount, ultra street fighter 2, Puyo Puyo tetris, Mario kart 8 Deluxe, Maybe super bomberman R and arms... maybe splatoon.

Other games i could suggest but may be not worth it, the arcade archives are neo geo and soon more nintendo games at $8 a download, then there will be Double dragon 4 which is $7, (i don't recommend it, is not done well and no further updates for it) Blade strangers, a new fighting game that will have various characters like Curly brace from cave story, Solonge from Code of princess and Umihara kawase characters and more, Dragon, marked of death, by inti creates, and gal gun 2 also by inti creates, and soon will be sonic forces. (Notice how i'm suggesting new games and not overpriced ports.) :ninja:

%E5%90%88%E4%BD%93%E3%83%93%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB_EN2.png

Dragon-MFD-Key-Art-Including-the-Logo.png

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Had a blast with Disgaea 5 Complete! Highly recommend that (though fair warning: it's likely not for everyone; thankfully there's a demo you can try).
Also picked up Shovel Knight Treasure Trove and Sonic Mania, those have been great on the go. Both support local multiplayer with two shared joycons so you can play with friends anywhere, too.

There's also a lot of really nice indie games on the eShop right now, like Snake Pass, Tumbleseed, Mr. Shifty, etc. Plenty of things to entertain yourself with in between big releases. I'm quite impressed at the catalog so far.

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I recommend:

Mario + Rabbids - this game has awesome gameplay with hilarious dialogue. I've laughed out loud several times and I haven't finished it yet. If you like Fire Emblem or Xcom, you'll like this.

Puyo Puyo Tetris - if you like Tetris, this is a no brainer. It has a story mode with different objectives in each stage. The story is pretty silly but it's entertaining. The multiplayer ja great too. Lots of different modes to try. There's a demo on the eshop for this.

Splatoon 2 - the multiplayer is awesome. The single player is decent too. I definitely recommend picking it up. It may not be your thing though. Depends what you like.

Pokken Tournament DX - I haven't played this game too much yet but it's pretty fun so far. If you like Pokemon and fighting games, you'll like this. I didn't play it kn Wii U so I picked it up on Switch. There's a demo for this one too.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - awesome game. I've been playing lots trying to unlock everything. I definitely recommend this also, unless you have the Wii U version.

Sonic Mania - this is lots of fun. I haven't had this much fun with a Sonic game since I played Sonic 2 for the first time. The levels are great, thw boss fights are great, the music is great too.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I saved the best for last. This one is amazing. I lost about 150 hours to this game in less than a month. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that haha.

Last edited by Scott-105, , Reason: Added more games

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my recommendations, I'll add in my total play time for these games if you're interested in them

Splatoon 2- Great and fun shooter on its own right, decent single player, the meat of your experience will be in online multiplayer, I stopped playing recently because the mathmaking prevents me from having any fun because now that I'm level 50 it just teams me up with shitty players and losing aint fun obviously. This game gets a bunch of updates that add in new weapons and sometimes stages every now and then which is a nice incentive for coming back to the game. 285 hours

Puyo Puyo Tetris - Really great puzzle game, joining the competitive puyo community was the best decision I ever made I made so many friends and this game is really what I play most of the time now, it includes both puyo and tetris you can either just pick up puyo or tetris to play with or learn to master both, either way this game is tons of fun with great music, characters, and replayability. 110 hours

ARMS- Really really competitive game the meat of this will be online 1v1s mostly, updates usually come monthly that add in new content to this game, this month there were two updates so we got a character and two new stages this month which is pretty cool. Single player is barebones right now, maybe you should pick it up at a discounted price? 55 hours

Super Bomberman R - Literally the BEST couch multiplayer game on the switch in my opinion, this game is a "blast"; ))) lol this game is also gets frequent updates that adds new stages and characters theres a new one coming out that adds in 3 more new character and new stages and new modes so I'm excited for that. Single player is fun and doesn't overstay its welcome. Online mutiplayer is really fun and hectic too and the game really boasts a great amount of charm. Love the music, love the characters, love the stages, love the combat. 100 hours

BoTW - You probably already heard of how great this game was. I only spent about 85 hours on it though because the world feels really empty to me with little enemy variety and I wish there were actual dungeons like in the other LoZ but thats a whole other story so anywayyyysss Its still a beautiful looking open world game that plays wonderfully, you'll probably really enjoy it. 85 hours.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Really fun mario kart game, great tracks, great visuals, great soundtrack, great online multiplayer. 30 hours(I already played the heck out of it on the wii u so youll probably spend longer time with it?)

Sonic Mania - Not a switch exclusive but its a really great sonic game. The controls are very fluid, the special stages are fun to play, the visuals are so beautiful and the music is so freaking good. 25 hours

Honorable Mentions:

VOEZ- not the best rhythm game out there, music variety is lacking even with a catalogue of 100+ songs theres really only like ~10 songs that are memorable, definitely a great value though because if you opted for the mobile version unlocking all the songs would cost an upwards of 100+ dollars and for the switch version you get to pay 20 dollars for all the songs and theres even free updates from time to time that add even more songs. 5 hours

Thumper - Great rhythm game, very different type of rhythm game, it has great visuals and a nice difficulty curve, great mechanics that allow for a wide variety of different methods for racking up your score. It gets really hard and the game gets really intense I've never felt a game quite like this one, it's beautiful. 15 hours

Snipperclips: fun co-op game but its way too short for 20 bucks (only 3 worlds)! the puzzles arent really that hard either but they do feel good completing them. theres going to be a DLC that adds in more worlds for 10 more bucks, and honestly the game was already too short that the update shouldve been free but ugh. 5 hours

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

ItsTheWolf

Splatoon 2 Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Nobody mentioned Kamiko? It's a good little game, and cheap.
1st party games are obviously great.
Aside from that, we have Mario & Rabbids, Fate/Extella, Shovel Knight, Picross S, Golf Story, Inti Creates games, etc
If you want free game, get Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, no need to buy the full game if you're just looking for some fun time wasting with your friends/family.
Try Project Octopath Traveler demo too, see if you like it.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from the obvious first party titles, what games worth getting for this console? RPGs, Puzzle games (with depth) are good choices, and some decent games for the kids to play too.

The future is looking pretty good for the Switch, but right now the catalogue isn't too big.

Give it time.. 2018 might be big for 3rd party. :)

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would argue if you're into physical media most fire up yesasia.com (free shipping worldwide on $39+ priced checkouts) and get I Am Setsuna from Square-Enix as it's a fantastic RPG. Lego City Undercover is pretty amusing and solid as well and should take a lot of hours to just do the story alone, all the other filler even more. Cave Story is a given if you're a fan and same can be said with Ultra Street Fighter II too.

Download side anything from the ACA/Hamster Neo Geo and Nintendo(Mario Bros for now) are worthy. The download of Blaster Master Zero and Kamiko are good choices as well. If you don't mind the higher price VOEZ and Deemo are big music games with a lot to do so it won't end fast. Also since they shipped out the physical game broken, if you're a fan buy the digital release of Super Bomberman R.

I've also read nothing but nice things said about Dragonball on the whole (and that the Switch version is solid too) and I've been very tempted to snap that up but just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I will give you the ultimate newbie Switch gaming buying guide, must be bought in order and played properly though! :teach:

Start off with> Snake Pass
Zelda Breath Of Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (even if you have it on the wiiu trust me buy it, its worth it just for the online security knowing its a fair safe race)
Arms
Splatoon 2
Have a quick blast on Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle while waiting for Splatfest..
FAST RMX (much better than the wiiu version even more now since the 1.3 update has arrived)
Snipperclips (its so annoyingly good fun and further free DLC is on its way!)
Finish off with> a bit of Pokken Tournament DX on the side and then wait for Mario Odyseey to arrive!
also while your ordering Mario Odyseey put an order in for Doom! that arrives mid November 2017.

Happy Gaming, this list should keep you busy for a while! :)

Last edited by Reecey,

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^Seems to me you want to basically only recommend Nintendo stuff almost exclusively. Why? Behavior like that is greatly why so many third parties ditched Nintendo because you'd have double talking Nintendo owners who would beg for stuff, then so few would buy it after saying they would, and then the rug gets pulled out by the game makers. The best in gaming does not start and end with Nintendo.

Reactions: ByteBite

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
^^Seems to me you want to basically only recommend Nintendo stuff almost exclusively. Why? Behavior like that is greatly why so many third parties ditched Nintendo because you'd have double talking Nintendo owners who would beg for stuff, then so few would buy it after saying they would, and then the rug gets pulled out by the game makers. The best in gaming does not start and end with Nintendo.
No not at all! I luv 3rd party titles, its just the only really good games for the Nintendo Switch so far are what I mentioned above and happen to be developed by Nintendo, there is no really good 3rd party titles as of yet for the Switch and I would hardly go as far as to say Rayman Legends & Fifa 18 or Lego Worlds for that matter are really great games to be bought.

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: wormdood
D

Deleted-355425

No offence mech but I don't call those great games to be bought tbh with you. Most of them look like they belong on the Commadore 64...

That's the great thing about opinions isnt it, your list is shite too bar splatoon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P