Hacking So how do I avoid unwrapping CIA games every time I boot emunand?

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This annoys me, I've never had this problem on my 4.3 3DS, which admittedly didn't have a lot of eShop stuff on it, but now half my games are moved out of their folders and BigBlueMenu is gift wrapped (and moved) every time I start emuNAND on my 9.2 3DS. Oddly enough, SaveDataFiler isn't gift wrapped. I wonder what determines this behavior.

But there's also no way I'm formatting sysNAND, I like to keep all my existing stuff on sysNAND (and the Ambassador games wouldn't work in GW mode either)

Unique ID Restrictions:
For the CTR titles, there appears to be is a correlation between Unique IDs (UID) and 3DS 'title types'. For developer titles this is known(shown below), and retail titles *appear* to follow suite. It is unknown if this correlation is enforced on retail units, or if it is just for organisation purposes.
TITLE TYPE
UNIQUE ID RANGE

System 0x0 - 0x2FF
Application 0x300 - 0xF7FFF
Evaluation 0xF8000 -0xFFFFF
Prototype* 0xFF000 - 0xFF3FF

*On the home menu, titles with UIDs within the 'Prototype' range, appear on the home menu after install without the gift fanfare.
Source:
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Unique ID Restrictions:
For the CTR titles, there appears to be is a correlation between Unique IDs (UID) and 3DS 'title types'. For developer titles this is known(shown below), and retail titles *appear* to follow suite. It is unknown if this correlation is enforced on retail units, or if it is just for organisation purposes.
TITLE TYPE
UNIQUE ID RANGE

System 0x0 - 0x2FF
Application 0x300 - 0xF7FFF
Evaluation 0xF8000 -0xFFFFF
Prototype* 0xFF000 - 0xFF3FF

*On the home menu, titles with UIDs within the 'Prototype' range, appear on the home menu after install without the gift fanfare.
Source:
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list
I see. Thanks :)

Reactions: Margen67

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So, is it better to format sysNAND or emuNAND, then...?
Format emuNAND since it won't delete your sysNAND with all your games.
So what you should do in order when your gateway arrives (Or if you already have it)
  1. Launch Gateway launcher
  2. Backup sysNAND (You can already do this even without having a red card)
  3. Then format emuNAND
  4. Boot Gateway mode/emuNAND
  5. VERIFY WITH 100% CERTAINTY THAT YOU ARE IN GATEWAY MODE (GW3D)
  6. Update Gateway mode/emuNAND
  7. Format system memory while you are in Gateway mode/emuNAND
If you planning on installing .CIA files (DLC, Themes, Games), you can't login in to eShop via NNID (which stores all your purchases) since it will mess up your installs if you have any, but if you are planning on only using Gateway red card, you can safely login via NNID and download to your heart's desire.

Also, if you are planning on downgrading, the process is a lot different.

P.S. Not sure about saves in .CIA files. I think you need to dump the whole Game...

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you planning on installing .CIA files (DLC, Themes, Games), you can't login in to eShop via NNID (which stores all your purchases) since it will mess up your installs if you have any...

DLC and Themes just get deleted when you access Data Management or when you login to your NNID, right? It's easy enough to re-install them.

...but if you are planning on only using Gateway red card, you can safely login via NNID and download to your heart's desire.

What do I even need a NNID on my 3DS for, anyway? Posting on Miiverse, downloading free stuff and using PokeBank? I only have a NNID on my least-used 3DS.

Also, if you are planning on downgrading, the process is a lot different.

How so? I've got a couple of 9.2 sysNAND 3DS systems I'd like to downgrade.

Thank you for your advice!

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What do I even need a NNID on my 3DS for, anyway? Posting on Miiverse, downloading free stuff and using PokeBank? I only have a NNID on my least-used 3DS.
NNID is console specific. When you create an NNID, you can only login with it on the console it was created on.
NNID allows pokebank, Miiverse but most importantly to you, it stores all your purchases. So if you format, you can reinstall everything you purchased.
How so? I've got a couple of 9.2 sysNAND 3DS systems I'd like to downgrade.
If those 9.2 systems have nothing of significance on them (Purchases and such, or photos), then you can easily just downgrade.

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I should really be referring you to this:
http://imgur.com/a/6KHUW
Can't link that site here

I wonder if that's technically against GBAtemp's rules to link to that picture because, even if it doesn't have a link to the rom site, it does include the name of the site in the picture and I know people have gotten in trouble for posting just the names of rom sites before.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Does formatting and unlinking NNID change my FC on my emunand if I formmated sysnand? I assumed it would. So I downgraded to 4.2, then formatted as 4.2 doesn't require an internet connection to format. Then updated to 7.2 via my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire game. Then rebooted back into my 9.4 emunand and everything still works. :D

That's how I formatted sysnand without connecting to the internet/unlinking NNID. :D

vyseman15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't formatted sysnand or emunand or attempted to unlink the nands, but somehow now the gifts stay unwrapped instead of having to unwrap everytime i entered GW mode. The only thing i can think of that i did differently is making a folder in sysnand, and then putting the cias in the folder in emunand. But i doubt that's what fixed it

EDIT: tried again, had to unwrap. i'll just deal with it

2nd edit: sometimes i dont have to unwrap.

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You could just format Emunand thru Emunand System seetings, that works to unlink it, and then you can go to eshop and all that stuff with NNID.

I did that way and i have no more unwrapped gifts ^^

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep hearing mention of needing to setup your NNID in sysnand or you can't access the eshop in emunand. I did not have this experience. I formatted sysnand and in emunand I did not setup my NNID through settings but directly in the eshop when I send to download some updates. Now when I check my NNID in emunand system settings it is there but it is not on sysnand system settings.

I did have that Steel Diver game on eshop from last year that I paid like $5 for that is not available anymore as it is not a retail cart. That should easily be fixed.

Reactions: MrJason005

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I keep hearing mention of needing to setup your NNID in sysnand or you can't access the eshop in emunand. I did not have this experience. I formatted sysnand and in emunand I did not setup my NNID through settings but directly in the eshop when I send to download some updates. Now when I check my NNID in emunand system settings it is there but it is not on sysnand system settings.

I did have that Steel Diver game on eshop from last year that I paid like $5 for that is not available anymore as it is not a retail cart. That should easily be fixed.
So you formatted emuNAND instead of sysNAND (with the SD card out) and it seperated them completely? nice

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you formatted emuNAND instead of sysNAND (with the SD card out) and it seperated them completely? nice
In my case I formatted sysnand with the SD card out. You can't format emunand with the SD CARD out because that is where emunand resides. What I can't remember is if I set up my NNID on emunand before or after I unlinked by formatting sysnand. I did not set up the NNID through Internet settings, but directly from the eshop. There are many reports that people cannt access the eShop until the NNID is set up on emunand. I for some reason did not have that problem.

Thanks for the info from the other site about having a separate emunand for accessing the eshop. I have only one cia game installed but it doesn't have any updates. I don't think my all my other game updates get deleted when I access the eshop but I am not 100% on that. I am going to run with what I have for now and keep testing, one theory I have is the eshop is deleting people's cia games is becuase they have the NNID setup on sysnand. Could be totally wrong on that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative