So do Virtual Console games run better in vWii than their Wii U VC counterparts?

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw a comparison video of Majora's Mask running on N64, Wii VC, and the Wii U VC. The best looking one in this particular case was Wii (imo). Is this the case for all virtual console releases, that they look better on vWii instead of Wii U. And does having shortcuts to these games on the Wii U menu itself do anything to negatively affect the games?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U VC games inherently have dark filters applied to them. But if you take the extra work to remove the dark filters (there is a thread here somewhere that explains how), then the Wii U VC titles are better than their Wii counterparts all day.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh shit really? I'll try to look this thread up. I wonder why they add a dark filter?
I believe it was precautionary for fear that these old games on HD displays showing brighter colors that may flash or whatnot, might be more likely to cause seizures than if they dulled down the colors.

Heads up though, each VC system has different ways the filter was enabled, and removing it from games can be more difficult depending on the system (for example, DS VC games are very easy to remove the dark filter, N64 is slightly more time consuming, but still easy, and so on). Of course most latest VC injectors have options to remove the dark filter as you make your injects, which really makes the process easy if you haven't already got your titles installed on the system.

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it was precautionary for fear that these old games on HD displays showing brighter colors that may flash or whatnot, might be more likely to cause seizures than if they dulled down the colors.

Heads up though, each VC system has different ways the filter was enabled, and removing it from games can be more difficult depending on the system (for example, DS VC games are very easy to remove the dark filter, N64 is slightly more time consuming, but still easy, and so on). Of course most latest VC injectors have options to remove the dark filter as you make your injects, which really makes the process easy if you haven't already got your titles installed on the system.

Ah, gotcha. I would mostly be adding N64 games, and although I'd like to add DS games like Pokemon, I read that the compatibility varies. Since there is no DS hardware built into the system. I wonder how Gameboy Advance games work. Did Nintendo ever release official GBA games on VC for Wii or Wii U?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, gotcha. I would mostly be adding N64 games, and although I'd like to add DS games like Pokemon, I read that the compatibility varies. Since there is no DS hardware built into the system. I wonder how Gameboy Advance games work. Did Nintendo ever release official GBA games on VC for Wii or Wii U?
Yes, GBA games were officially released for VC on Wii U, though not for Wii. They too have a dark filter and are a bit more annoying to remove on already installed games. Again though, injectors can remove those filters now for you before you even get to that point. DS games for the most part work, it's really just games that are DSi enhanced like gen 5 of the Pokemon games that can't play on the Wii U, and a few random titles here and there can be problematic like GTA Chinatown Wars, but otherwise the vast majority of DS games can be injected and played on the Wii U without issue.

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, GBA games were officially released for VC on Wii U, though not for Wii. They too have a dark filter and are a bit more annoying to remove on already installed games. Again though, injectors can remove those filters now for you before you even get to that point. DS games for the most part work, it's really just games that are DSi enhanced like gen 5 of the Pokemon games that can't play on the Wii U, and a few random titles here and there can be problematic like GTA Chinatown Wars, but otherwise the vast majority of DS games can be injected and played on the Wii U without issue.
That's really cool. I do have a New 3DS XL that runs custom firmware, and it plays GBA games like a dream since it has GBA hardware built in. Do you think the GBA hardware is built into the Wii U or that Nintendo just made an emulator for it? I'll be looking into these methods tonight. It's a bummer about the DSi games, I had heard that gen 5 did not work. But I guess it's not a big deal since I have the 3DS

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm pretty sure Majora's Mask has random slowdowns in the field on Wii that are not present on Wii U, mostly around the southwest part of the map.

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
N64 games have input lag on Wii U, but the Wii U emulator is compatible with more games. Additionally, the dead zone of the N64 stick is... off on Wii U. It's especially obvious playing F-Zero X or while aiming aim in OoT/MM.

NES and SNES games are on-par once you remove the dark filter. On both console you are forced to play them in 4:3, though (they look a lot better in 8:7 IMHO, especially SNES games).

DS and GBA emulation is only on Wii U and it's good (again, after removing the dark filter).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 games have input lag on Wii U, but the Wii U emulator is compatible with more games. Additionally, the dead zone of the N64 stick is... off on Wii U. It's especially obvious playing F-Zero X or while aiming aim in OoT/MM.

NES and SNES games are on-par once you remove the dark filter. On both console you are forced to play them in 4:3, though (they look a lot better in 8:7 IMHO, especially SNES games).

DS and GBA emulation is only on Wii U and it's good (again, after removing the dark filter).

DS and GBA are better because NERD and M2 worked on them IIRC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol