SNES Classic Controller Issues

farjo08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ran into a problem with both of my SNES classic controllers. The first happened last week, the second yesterday (and it was not until earlier this week I realized the issue was with the actual controller).

So more background. It's a US/NTSC SNES Classic with the original OEM controllers. It's hacked with hakchi2 ce (although that's not the problem). I was using a controller extender when the problem happened both times.

I'm not quite sure what happened with the first controller, but I experience a slight shock through the left bumper when the second controller started having problems.

The controllers appear to work fine on the menu selection screen, but it does not respond properly in games. The shortcut to reset the controller (down+select) no longer works and was the first problem I noticed which I though might have been a problem with the hack (although it worked fine for months). In Yoshi's Island, when you actually try to select a course, only the A button responds, but everything works fine in game (but you can never change the stage). In Kirby's Dream Course you can't get past the name creation screen. One controller causes icons to constantly spin left, the other spins right.

Plugging in a NES classic controller works fine (minus not having the bumper and X/Y buttons). The down+select shortcut works as well. Using the SNES controllers in the NES classic have the same issues so it's definitely the controllers, almost like they both somehow shorted out. I removed hakchi, and of course that made no difference. I opened both controllers and they look just fine (no obvious shorts, all wires, connected, the pads are clean, etc.

I'm curious if anyone has run into this issue and has any ideas of how to fix it aside from buying new controllers? Since it happened to both within a week, perhaps it is the console itself that is causing it thus my concern that if I buy new controllers the same thing will continue to happen.

Thoughts?

farjo08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have narrowed the problem down after stripping both controllers down just their respective circuit boards again. Since Kirby uses the shoulder buttons to select the icon during the name creation, one controller thinks the left bumper is pressed and the other things the right bumper is pressed. Even when nothing is making contact on the circuit board both controllers behave the same way and I don't see a way to fix it. Since both seem to be toast I might just clip the wires on one of them to see if that stops the button press which at least might make the controller work again, minus said button.

I'm guessing my only real recourse is to just get a wireless controller since if there is an issue with the port (or the extension cord I was using) it can't short a wireless controller.

Still seeing if anyone else has run into this or has any other suggestions. And if I do get a wireless controller, recommendations? Was thinking the 8bitdo one and trying to put it in the SNES classic controller case but the port is different with a usb port for charging on the wireless vs. the actual cable on the SNES classic (although it still might work if everything else aligns).

Last edited by farjo08,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop stealing my phrases
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.