Should I get a Smartphone?

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Get a data monitoring app like NetCounter and measure it yourself. Like I said you can reduce it by using Opera or just turn off image loading.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I am going to drop my current texting plan when I get this is there a way to text using Data? I want my phone number to be on the text messaging so people can text me back and will know who texted them.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Jakob95 said:
Since I am going to drop my current texting plan when I get this is there a way to text using Data? I want my phone number to be on the text messaging so people can text me back and will know who texted them.
http://voice.google.com/

Get a Google number and use the Google Voice app to make calls with your Google number. Free unlimited texting, and they'll be archived in the cloud just like e-mail, along with voicemail transcriptions and other goodies. As soon as you get your new phone, don't tell people your actual phone number, just your Google number.

The only disadvantage is that Verizon-Verizon calls will now use minutes, but you can make free texts (on a family plan, if you call a family member, it will actually use double minutes on your family plan) so there's a tradeoff. If you're not one to get near your minute limit then it's a good choice.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
Jakob95 said:
http://voice.google.com/

Get a Google number and use the Google Voice app to make calls with your Google number. Free unlimited texting, and they'll be archived in the cloud just like e-mail, along with voicemail transcriptions and other goodies. As soon as you get your new phone, don't tell people your actual phone number, just your Google number.

The only disadvantage is that Verizon-Verizon calls will now use minutes, but you can make free texts (on a family plan, if you call a family member, it will actually use double minutes on your family plan) so there's a tradeoff. If you're not one to get near your minute limit then it's a good choice.
Wait what the hell! Thats so stupid isn't Verizon-Verizon supposed to be free? And using double the minutes if you call someone in your family plan what a rip off. But I am upgrading my phone will that still mean that i can't get Verizon-Verizon for free?

EDIT: Currently my original phone I have Verizon to Verizon for free.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing I wanted to ask. Since I am getting the 3G with only 150MB/mo I want to turn off the 3G from my phone for the most part so I won't be wasting my memory. But I also want to keep it turned on all the time just for the Google Voice so I know when somebody texts me or not. Is this possible maybe turn off the 3G from the web browser and everything else except the Google Voice.

Another thing I wanted to ask why not tell people my actual phone number? If I give them my Google Voice number how are they supposed to call me if they want to?

coolbho3000

Trophies
XP
Country
The Google Voice number forwards to your actual number, so any phone calls made to it will ring your phone. You can choose not to use your Google Voice number to make calls and just text with it, and this will not impact your minutes, but you'll have 2 numbers (one for calls and one for texts). I personally don't go through the trouble and just use my Google Voice number.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
The Google Voice number forwards to your actual number, so any phone calls made to it will ring your phone. You can choose not to use your Google Voice number to make calls and just text with it, and this will not impact your minutes, but you'll have 2 numbers (one for calls and one for texts). I personally don't go through the trouble and just use my Google Voice number.
Just forwarded my phone with Google voice. I called the Google voice number with my house phone and it went to my cell phone. But when I pick up its really annoying because they ask me to accept press 1 any way to remove that?

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Wan't a smartphone? Go htc if you can, if not go samsung if not samsung go sony eriksson.
i bought a htc wildfire first, wasn't good enogh to satisfy my so i sold it to my brother and bought a htc desire. Best handheld device i ever have had
smile.gif

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to remove that. Anyways if I call someone from my cell on there Caller ID it doesn't show my Google Voice number but my real Cell number.

coolbho3000

Trophies
XP
Country
Jakob95 said:
I managed to remove that. Anyways if I call someone from my cell on there Caller ID it doesn't show my Google Voice number but my real Cell number.
You need the Google Voice app for Android which will also let you text on the number for free.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What should I get the LG ally or HTC Imagio? Is Windows Mobile 6.5 better then Android 2.1? I heard that 6.5 has Flash Player support which is awesome.

coolbho3000

Trophies
XP
Country
Jakob95 said:
What should I get the LG ally or HTC Imagio? Is Windows Mobile 6.5 better then Android 2.1? I heard that 6.5 has Flash Player support which is awesome.
The Incredible.

You will regret getting a WM 6.5 phone. If you want WM, get WP7.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
Jakob95 said:
The Incredible.

You will regret getting a WM 6.5 phone. If you want WM, get WP7.
this, windows mobile 6.5 is utter garbage, however windows phone 7 is a brand new mobile OS and has lots of potential (although i wouldn't recommend it over android, at least not yet)

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I don't want to make a new thread so I'll just post in this thread.

I'm thinking of getting the HTC Wildfire. I'm not too bothered about what it can/can't do, the Wi-Fi and Android will do it for me (My phone right now is a LG Cookie. Worst fucking phone ever.)

Vodafone has a package with 300/500/3000 texts (depending on how much you top up) and 500MB of web.
Will 500MB be enough to last through the month? (College has Wi-Fi (I think) so it's just buses and when I'm out I need the 500MB for) I don't do major web browsing anyway, the Internet is boring recently.

Also, what the hell is this 'root' thing for Android phones? (Just a link to a FAQ or something will be fine)

Thanks.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, the wildfire is an excelent Android phone to start with
smile.gif
It's cheap, but just as good as the more expensive low-end android phones (like my HTC hero).
Anyway, I'd say 500mb is enough when you are able to browse through wifi at college. But using vodafone, cant you change the limit when you see you get past it?

Because, like me you will probably catch yourself to turn on mobile internet on real quick instead of wifi, since the connecting is much faster and without restrictions.

For rooting, I havent find a use for it yet. People use it to install custom roms with custom themes and stuff, but there is also alternative HomeScreen software which could do the same. And the official roms aren't bad or something. I dont really get the deal about custom roms.

http://pocketnow.com/hardware-1/pros-and-c...ng-your-android
Quoted from there, you will be able to "tether", which is already avaible in android without rooting.. Themes and more homescreens can be achieved without rooting.
And why would you want to overclock your phone? The battery will just go dead faster.
And "blocked" apps can already be installed. No need for rooting for that either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1