Hacking Should i buy new harddisk to put rogero in ?

kazekun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone, I am new around here but i would like to ask you guys what you think about this idea.

I have a slim ps3 that has 2 years alredy, recently the harddisk of my ps3 died, the ps3 itself has always been on the 3.55 cfw, when this hapened i picked up a old disk i had around from a 2 year laptop that had died, it fitted the ps3, so i formatted the ps3, put in cfw again and multiman and been running my games this way ever since.<br>
Now the problem i have, is that, i am sick and tired of having to patch every single game, so i am thinking about changing to rogero 4.40, but the problem is since the disk is old, i am afraid that this disk may die also some months from now and then i am stuck with my ps3 on a 4.xx system without knowing what to do, so i was thinking of buying a whole new disk for my ps3 while its still in 3.55 , removing the old disk, putting OFW 3.55 on a brand new disk and then updating that disk to rogero, do you think i should do this or you think its a waste to buy a whole new hard disk? And in case i do buy it, i plan to keep the old one with the 3.55 in case someday i have problems or something can i just go back to using it ? Thanks in advance

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
yes, a new hdd it's always welcome (if it's really brand new). And the most vital files reside on NOR (a chip the PS3 has inside, having filesystem OS), so you could always format the new hdd to NTFS, put it in the PS3, do a OFW 3.55 install, DO a 3.55 CFW (kmeaws), enable QA FLAGS, then install rogero 4.30 cfw [NOT OFW] from there. (make a NOR dump <a copy of the chip you have phisically inside the ps3> while you're on 3.55CFW!!, there's a guide with multiman for so)

But i'm not using rogero anymore since my psn files weren't validated at all if i wanted to play PS2/PSN content (validated through reactPSN), so i'm on rebug 4.30.2

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 for getting a new hdd before updating CFW as well. If you already have experience swapping hdds while on 3.55CFW, there's no sense navigating to a new CFW first, especially if you suspect that your current used hdd might fail. Not sure why you'd go to OFW 3.55 tho, but who am I to judge. Personally, I like the Western Digital Scorpio Blue series. My 750GB 5400RPM has been a champ since day one over two years ago. WD's Caviar Green line on the other hand, is a name that I see popping up in other sites when discussing "spin-down" issues.

kazekun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I apreciate the aswers guys =) will do so, i dont really suspect its gona die, its working perfectly, but, i rather feel safe than sorry, i feel like changing to rogero 4.40 will satisfy my needs because i have a whole bunch of games that will keep me satisfied for months, half of wich i cant play because they are over 3.55 and theres no patch for them, i just want to pop in the games without bothering myself of waiting for patchs thats pretty much everything, so rogero is an atractive option for me

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you opting for a 5400RPM or 7200RPM? I've heard arguments for and against both from various websites. To this day, I have yet to understand which is better and why while on CFW.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you opting for a 5400RPM or 7200RPM? I've heard arguments for and against both from various websites. To this day, I have yet to understand which is better and why while on CFW.
RPM means how fast the disc inside the HDD is spinning. To be honest because PS3 is using SATA 1.5 Gbps, you won't gain much speed (probably 2 seconds faster in loading) from 7200 RPM.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RPM means how fast the disc inside the HDD is spinning. To be honest because PS3 is using SATA 1.5 Gbps, you won't gain much speed (probably 2 seconds faster in loading) from 7200 RPM.
I've heard this numerous times as well. Also, overheating issues with 7200RPM. Speed vs. price difference not justified. Audio chirp on FFXIII with 7200RPM, the list goes on and on.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've heard this numerous times as well. Also, overheating issues with 7200RPM. Speed vs. price difference not justified. Audio chirp on FFXIII with 7200RPM, the list goes on and on.
There is no overheating issue with 7200 RPM, otherwise you would have seen many laptops overheat. There should not be any difference other than loading speed.

7200 RPM is really for PC relam, where desktop and laptop have SATA 3.0 Gbps. Just buy whichever is the cheapest.

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't replace the HDD unless you want to upgrade the storage capacity. HDDs are pretty much reliable and no matter how old it is, it should be fine as long as you haven't dropped your PS3 and it's not showing any signs of malfunction.
You can always replace your HDD if it dies while on Rogero 4.40, HDD can be swapped/changed and the CFW will re-install without any problem. Source: Tortuga Cove &bull; View topic - Rogero CEX-4.40 v1.03 with ToolBox/StealthMAN and ReactPSN offline Patch
It was only the early Rogero 4.xx CFWs that had problems re-installing when replacing the HDD.

kazekun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I did buy a new disk, was both a upgrade in space and a brand new fresh disk, got myself a western digital 500 gbs the ps3 one was a 200 and something gb disk, so now i am all good to go to start upgrading my ps3 to rogero, can you just confirm if i am in right order?

1-Heres how i plan to go,doing a nor dump before everything, then putting new disk, letting ps3 format it itself ending up on 3.55 Ofw.

2-Doing a QA flag ( not sure if i need this since i am on 3.55 and never downgraded, but, i did use trueblue for a while)

3- Installing rogero 4.40 v 1.03

4- Installing multiman latest version.

So pretty much is this all i need or am i missing or adding any new extra steps?

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
Installing the new HDD will not end you up on OFW 3.55, it will ask you to re-install the system software and you have to re-install the same 3.55 CFW that was installed if you swap before updating your CFW. Here's how I would do it:

1- Install Rogero 4.40 v1.03 or Rebug 4.30.2 (recommended) from XMB
2- Swap your HDD
3- It will ask you to re-install the System Software, re-install Rogero 4.40 v1.03 or Rebug 4.30.2 depending on what you had installed earlier.

Let me know if you choose to go with Rebug 4.30.2 to provide you with a detailed installation guide.

kazekun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any major diferences between rebug and rogero? I will just go with the safest and easyer to install, also your 100% sure it wont put my ps3 back in 3.55 ofw ? My disk on ps3 recently stopped working and i had to put a old disk i had from a laptop somewhere and i got in the impression that when the ps3 installed the sistem it got on 3.55 ofw but i can be wrong, also, why should i install the hdd only after updating ? Thanks for the help

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
Basically, Rebug is the best CFW out there and Rogero is just an OK CFW. The main difference is that Rogero releases multiple versions of his CFW before it becomes reliable and stable whereas Rebug is reliable and stable from release. For example, Rogero released like 10 versions of 4.30 before it became stable at v2.05. 4.40 is still new, now he's on v1.03 because the previous versions had problems and I'm sure he's going to release more versions fixing more bugs and you wouldn't want to keep flashing CFWs whenever he releases another version.

Rebug CFW on the other hand is stable from release and they usual release a couple of versions only adding features between versions instead of fixing bugs. Moreover, it's really easy to swap between different versions of Rebug without having to use downgrader PUPs.
So I would go with Rebug 4.30.2 until Rebug release their 4.40 CFW. In any case, 4.40 CFW is still not needed because all games still work on 4.30 CFW without any manual patching needed.

Yes I'm 100% sure that replacing the HDD will not take you back to OFW 3.55, you have to re-install whichever CFW you had when you replace the HDD. The reason I'm asking you to replace the HDD after updating because I'm not sure which CFW you're on and some CFWs have problems re-installing when relacing the HDD. Both Rogero 4.40 v1.03 and Rebug 4.30.2 on the other hand re-install fine when replacing the HDD. Here's a detailed guide on how to install Rebug 4.30.2 in case you choose to do so:

1- Make NOR/NAND dump (optional):
Install latest version of multiMAN, plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive into the right USB port, launch multiMAN under Games and go to mmOS->Select any file->Open in HEX viewer->[SELECT]->
[START]->DUMP LV2(NO)->DUMP LV1(NO)->DUMP FLASH(YES)

2- Install Rebug 4.30.2 from XMB:
Download Rebug 4.30.2 from Rebug's website, verify the md5 hash, rename the PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP and put it on your FAT32 formatted flash drive in PS3\UPDATE and go to System Update and Update via
Storage Media. Make sure there's no original game disk in the drive and that you don't Update via Internet or else you would risk installing OFW higher than 3.55!

3- Enable QA:
Install Rebug Toolbox from Package Manager, launch it under Games, go to Utilities and enable QA.

4- Swap your HDD and Re-install Rebug 4.30.2 when it asks you to

5- Install Rebug Update Package 0.1:
Download Rebug_Update_Package_0.1_4.30.x.pkg from Rebug's website, verify the md5 hash, install it from Package Manager, launch it under Games, follow the on screen prompts, the screen will freeze
for a while when you press Yes, do NOT force shut down your PS3 at this stage or else you will get a nice and shiny RSOD! Just be patient and wait for it to finish what it's doing, it will
reboot if needed when finished. Once the PS3 has rebooted you can delete Rebug Update Package from your XMB as it is not needed.

6- Spoof to 4.40:
Launch Rebug Toolbox under Games, go to Selector and change System Mode to Rebug, this will spoof to 4.40 to prevent accidental updates and allow PSN access. You can also change XMB Operation Mode to Retail and Debug Menu Type to CEX QA to ensure you have the Retail menus instead of the Debug menus which you probably won't need.

Reactions: kazekun

kazekun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the detailed info, i think i am on kmeaw 3.55 , like i said, my disk burned and i replaced it with a old laptop one and it installed just fine, must mean that i can simply change disk again and put 3.55 before all no?

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the detailed info, i think i am on kmeaw 3.55 , like i said, my disk burned and i replaced it with a old laptop one and it installed just fine, must mean that i can simply change disk again and put 3.55 before all no?

If you're on kmeaw, you should be able to swap your HDD and re-install kmeaw, but it would be better to do it on Rebug 4.30.2 (or Rogero 4.40 v1.03)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o