Shenmue III reaches $7 million stretch goal, adds "AI Battling" as goal reward

MdD6Mlj.png

Shenmue III might have been delayed, and a no-show at this year's E3, but the game's development is still moving along. Recently, the still active crowdfunding options allowed for it to reach a whopping $7 million dollars. That means the stretch goal for that tier has been attained, and the reward for meeting that amount was for Shenmue III to offer "AI Battling" in its combat system. Details are light on exactly what this means, but you can read the official announcement below.

This control system lets you automatically unleash the perfect technique in response to the opponent’s positioning and distance. R&D for this system is based on Yu Suzuki’s concept for players who are not used to fighting games or for those who want a full immersion battle experience. This battle system is highly compatible with, and will be an extension to the current battle system

Shenmue III is scheduled for a 2019 release, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

:arrow: Source

Bungee_Cord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot about this game for a while, but now that i have a PC that can actually run it i might give Shenmue III a shot. I've always been fascinated with the aesthetic of cities like Hong Kong and Tokyo anyway.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else find it ironic that this game is being funded by Kickstarter when the original game was the most expensive ever produced during its time? Oh times have changed...
Wasn't it 100s of millions too? I think this game needs more funding.

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if I will actually get my Shenmue III, in 2019... I was hoping 2017, then 2018 and then a few months ago it said 2019.

Though one thing I want, is the capsule toys from Shenmue I & II HD to be available in Shenmue III at the start.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to ask how this game was still raising money but I see that is addressed in the OP. I hope this game does well to deliver on the nostalgia promises they created this project on.

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to ask how this game was still raising money but I see that is addressed in the OP. I hope this game does well to deliver on the nostalgia promises they created this project on.

I'm hoping that it reaches the $11,000,000+ marker and then we'll have a game that's more complete, although the first goal is now pointless that we have Shenmue I & II arriving in four weeks. B-)

1dbb7cc467ba9a1f98f08d96d7034620_original.png

Reactions: BORTZ

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping that it reaches the $11,000,000+ marker and then we'll have a game that's more complete, although the first goal is now pointless that we have Shenmue I & II arriving in four weeks. B-)

Sheesh, that's quite the list. I had no idea the stretch goals were so expansive.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Does anyone else find it ironic that this game is being funded by Kickstarter when the original game was the most expensive ever produced during its time? Oh times have changed...
Maybe that's why no publisher wanted to touch it XD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They needed 100k to make subtitles in one language? What a cashgrab :/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As long as it have cool music in it like the first one had, I don't mind.
I don't know that I have ever heard anybody particularly reminisce over Shenmue's music before. As it sat here I could not really recall anything about it (which usually means it is functional) beyond the arcade games within it. I then had a quick scan through it and nothing struck me as particular memorable or exciting.

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sheesh, that's quite the list. I had no idea the stretch goals were so expansive.

Shenmue III, is quite a big deal for YuSuzuki because he felt that Shenmue needed to be completed and SEGA wouldn't budge and he knew these goals would draw people in... Plus every backer gets a copy of the game (if they didn't just opt for the soundtrack or t-shirt) B-)

Maybe that's why no publisher wanted to touch it XD

Deep Silver have been the co-publishers since mid-2017, which it was reported in 2016 that SONY were offering publishing support. B-)

They needed 100k to make subtitles in one language? What a cashgrab :/

They possibly didn't know Google Translate is FREE, but they got their money (including my $80 in January 2016). :lol:

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I don't know that I have ever heard anybody particularly reminisce over Shenmue's music before. As it sat here I could not really recall anything about it (which usually means it is functional) beyond the arcade games within it. I then had a quick scan through it and nothing struck me as particular memorable or exciting.

It's pure nostalgia for me personally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol