Share your vision acuity

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sight is one of my few senses to function properly, or indeed better than that. It has been a while since I had a test though, still seem to be able to point out things in the distance that some people have trouble seeing though.

My low light is fantastic too, however I seem to have picked up tricks from blind people so I use all those as well -- I know how many stairs are in my house, I slide my foot around rather than stepping blindly and as the greasy hand prints all over the walls attest..., I don't need to see but little glints really help orient me. Not to mention I had a whole bunch of swimming goggles once that were modified to show what it is like for people with variously broken (usually age related) site so I spent a whole days over the following weeks wandering around with them on to see what it was like.

Reactions: x65943

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was diagnosed with a slight hyperopia and that i should use those glasses to rest your vision. Never used them and somehow on my latest visit to the medic my hyperopia decreased a bit.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was diagnosed with a slighty hyperopia and that i should use those glasses to rest your vision. Never used them and somehow on my latest visit to the medic my hyperopia decreased a bit.
Your eyes change in shape as you age, and this can ameliorate or worsen your visual acuity. It looks like you got lucky!

Reactions: DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your eyes change in shape as you age, and this can ameliorate or worsen your visual acuity. It looks like you got lucky!
Woah, never bothered to research about it so thanks for that little info! Kinda funny to think it decreased since i spend almost all the time on screens or monitors lol.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah, never bothered to research about it so thanks for that little info! Kinda funny to think it decreased since i spend almost all the time on screens or monitors lol.
It is a myth that looking at monitors can ruin your eyesight. It's true that this activity can strain your eyes - but your actual eyesight is a factor of the length of your eye; something that cannot be changed by staring at a screen :P

Eye strain caused by tech goes away fairly quickly if you stop staring at screens for a few days.

Reactions: DeslotlCL

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
What's odd is that, everyone in my family has crappy eye sight, and I have perfect 20/20 vision, and I have the most screen time.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It is a myth that looking at monitors can ruin your eyesight. It's true that this activity can strain your eyes - but your actual eyesight is a factor of the length of your eye; something that cannot be changed by staring at a screen :P

Eye strain caused by tech goes away fairly quickly if you stop staring at screens for a few days.
I just stare at an object for a minute and my eyes feel better instantly

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's odd is that, everyone in my family has crappy eye site, and I have perfect 20/20 vision, and I have the most screen time.
Genetics are interesting in that way. Familial problems don't always affect everyone in a family - and as already stated, staring at computer screens does not interfere with your vision.

I have a myopic brother, and I'm hyperopic - so go figure. We have the opposite eye problems somehow.

Reactions: Dionicio3

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have 20/20 vision. Hormones changed my eyes, if I try to read something very far away. It is blurry with my left eye, not with my right eye. For very small text that I see on papers at work. I have to hold it close to my face to be able to read it.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have 20/20 vision. Hormones changed my eyes, if I try to read something very far away. It is blurry with my left eye, not with my right eye. For very small text that I see on papers at work. I have to hold it close to my face to be able to read it.
My left eye is also my weak eye. If you're having a hard time reading objects up close, you may have hyperopia. An optometrist's appointment is not very expensive even without insurance. Have you considered going in for an eye exam?

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ever since i was 4 years old , i have to use glasses.
At the moment , im using +6.0 glasses which is pretty bad , but i have been used to it.
Also , i have myopia

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since i was 4 years old , i have to use glasses.
At the moment , im using +6.0 glasses which is pretty bad , but i have been used to it.
Wow cool, another hyperope! So how is your vision without glasses? Do you ever leave them at home if you're just planning to go out and run around? Can you read at all without them? Do your eyes look really big with your glasses on?

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ambylopia developed a few months after I was born. I can only see through one eye but it was easily treatable at my young age but I always took off my eye patches as a kid in order to train my eye to work; but now it won't be easy or possible. Not sure of my prescription but it's pretty high for sure.

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wow cool, another hyperope! So how is your vision without glasses? Do you ever leave them at home if you're just planning to go out and run around? Can you read at all without them? Do your eyes look really big with your glasses on?
Is pretty bad , not like almost going 100% blind , but as always everything is super blurry when i dont have my glasses , unless the object im seeing is super close to me.
Also , i can't leave my house without my glasses , i have to use them 24/7/365 , except for something such as when im going to sleep. I can't really read without my glasses , unless as i said i read it super close.
And no! Its actually the opposite! My eyes are super big , but when i wear my glasses they look way smaller :P

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is pretty bad , not like almost going 100% blind , but as always everything is super blurry when i dont have my glasses , unless the object im seeing is super close to me.
Also , i can't leave my house without my glasses , i have to use them 24/7/365 , except for something such as when im going to sleep. I can't really read without my glasses , unless as i said i read it super close.
And no! Its actually the opposite! My eyes are super big , but when i wear my glasses they look way smaller :P
Oh! You have myopia - that means your prescription is actually -6. Okay, this makes a lot more sense now. I have hyperopia, ergo I have a positive prescription (+4).

Did you ninja edit, or did I just overlook you clearly stating that you had myopia at the end? haha

Reactions: SonicCloud

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh! You have myopia - that means your prescription is actually -6. Okay, this makes a lot more sense now. I have hyperopia, ergo I have a positive prescription (+4).

Did you ninja edit, or did I just overlook you clearly stating that you had myopia at the end? haha
Yeah i ninja edited quick >:3 . I have been diagnosed with Myopia and i was algo diagnosed with another eye problem , but i can't remember which was that one.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My left eye is also my weak eye. If you're having a hard time reading objects up close, you may have hyperopia. An optometrist's appointment is not very expensive even without insurance. Have you considered going in for an eye exam?
I keep putting it off. I was going to a few weeks ago, one family member wanted me to leave. I have mentioned it to my doctor on HRT changing my eyes, He couldn't find anything wrong with my left eye and did a eye exam. I had a hard time reading one line that I read perfectly with my right eye, nurse said fuck it and sent me on my way out.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep putting it off. I was going to a few weeks ago, one family member wanted me to leave. I have mentioned it to my doctor on HRT changing my eyes, He couldn't find anything wrong with my left eye and did a eye exam. I had a hard time reading one line that I read perfectly with my right eye, nurse said fuck it and sent me on my way out.
There's only so much a doctor can tell from a simple metric like that "read the letters from line x".

An optometrist will be able to use a more sophisticated device to definitively tell your prescription in each eye. I say if you're having vision problems, go to an optometrist - because it will really improve your quality of life.

Heck, until I went to an optometrist - no one had ever told me I had vision problems. I could drive normally, and study for school - but I had a lot of eye strain. I'm definitely happy to have my glasses now!

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like our left eyes are all fucked, lol. Personally, I got used to it, I only lost the 3d space acuity, but I got used to it.

My right eye does all the work now. Too late to fix it. I'm not going to lie, trying to reread this with only my left eye is simply impossible. I only see a blurry mess with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1