Homebrew Share and Download custom Wii U Themes

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can edit images in switch toolbox?
Oh you mean you need to edit the .bflims being directed to within a .bflyt? Those I hit edit with Photoshop, by hitting edit with external program inside of Swith Toolbox, then you just save the edited image in .dds format with the same name it had and it overwrites the .bflim inside of Switch Toolbox.

Reactions: prince_pokey

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just thought since dds was the default, it would just be the best to use. I'll try .png
If you edit it directly through the external program prompt in Switch Toolbox with something like Photoshop, then you should save as .dds and not change the name, it will automatically replace the .bflim in Switch Toolbox, and save you a step in the process.

prince_pokey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you edit it directly through the external program prompt in Switch Toolbox with something like Photoshop, then you should save as .dds and not change the name, it will automatically replace the .bflim in Switch Toolbox, and save you a step in the process.
alright that's something i actually didn't know about -- how does that work? if i'm exporting from photoshop i usually can't save it as *.dds (unless i'm forgetting something, haha)

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright that's something i actually didn't know about -- how does that work? if i'm exporting from photoshop i usually can't save it as *.dds (unless i'm forgetting something, haha)
So in Switch Toolbox, after double clicking on the .bflim you want to edit, click on the edit tab, and then select 'With External Program'. If you haven't set this up yet, you will have to tell Toolbox that the default program is Photoshop I'm sure. I believe you might also need a plugin for Photoshop (I can't remember off hand, it's been a long time since I first did all of this) so that it can handle .dds files. Or perhaps that plugin thing is for something else entirely and Photoshop can natively handle .dds files? I honestly don't recall, but one way or another (after you can save .dds files in Photoshop if you can't already), make your edits in the photoshop file that will automatically open. And then hit save, a prompt will ask you to save as what, don't change the name it offers or the location it automatically puts you in (should be Temp), but make sure you change the file type to .dds. A new prompt will pop up asking how you want to save the .dds file, I believe the defaults are typically what you want here, but there may be the odd image here or there that needs a change in how you save at this point, but otherwise leave it alone and hit save again. A new prompt will pop up asking if you want to overwrite the image in Switch Toolbox, hit yes. And you're done.

Reactions: prince_pokey

prince_pokey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in Switch Toolbox, after double clicking on the .bflim you want to edit, click on the edit tab, and then select 'With External Program'. If you haven't set this up yet, you will have to tell Toolbox that the default program is Photoshop I'm sure. I believe you might also need a plugin for Photoshop (I can't remember off hand, it's been a long time since I first did all of this) so that it can handle .dds files. Or perhaps that plugin thing is for something else entirely and Photoshop can natively handle .dds files? I honestly don't recall, but one way or another (after you can save .dds files in Photoshop if you can't already), make your edits in the photoshop file that will automatically open. And then hit save, a prompt will ask you to save as what, don't change the name it offers or the location it automatically puts you in (should be Temp), but make sure you change the file type to .dds. A new prompt will pop up asking how you want to save the .dds file, I believe the defaults are typically what you want here, but there may be the odd image here or there that needs a change in how you save at this point, but otherwise leave it alone and hit save again. A new prompt will pop up asking if you want to overwrite the image in Switch Toolbox, hit yes. And you're done.
i think i got it! there was a plugin i needed to download at one point for working with *.dds files, so i guess it'll come in handy here. thanks!

Reactions: MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think i got it! there was a plugin i needed to download at one point for working with *.dds files, so i guess it'll come in handy here. thanks!
Since you seem to have some interest in themeing, perhaps you can help me find a value that's been slightly bothering me for awhile. If not, totally cool, but if you ever have some free time and wanna help me find this, that'd be awesome, what I'm looking for is what makes the selection of your current game, in the corners have a blue glow like you see well in these images:

4zPzjHn.png

6A0R1iJ.png

1uJDV06.png

As you can see, that while I can effect the glow around these corners to match the color there is still a blue color breathing through strongly. Granted, some of these themes it works well with, blue mixing with purple, green, or pink looks pretty great honestly, but for themes like the red one especially, that blue just doesn't look right.

I've tried many places I would think this value would be, but it has alluded me. But maybe you might have a better idea where it could be.

LeedleFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get the texture to import into switch toolbox. I press replace but it doesn't try to open any files.

EDIT: I'm trying to import a texture over the selection bubble thing

Last edited by LeedleFace,

prince_pokey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you seem to have some interest in themeing, perhaps you can help me find a value that's been slightly bothering me for awhile. If not, totally cool, but if you ever have some free time and wanna help me find this, that'd be awesome, what I'm looking for is what makes the selection of your current game, in the corners have a blue glow like you see well in these images:

4zPzjHn.png

6A0R1iJ.png

1uJDV06.png

As you can see, that while I can effect the glow around these corners to match the color there is still a blue color breathing through strongly. Granted, some of these themes it works well with, blue mixing with purple, green, or pink looks pretty great honestly, but for themes like the red one especially, that blue just doesn't look right.

I've tried many places I would think this value would be, but it has alluded me. But maybe you might have a better idea where it could be.
yeah, of course! i'm not really doing anything right now so i'm gonna look around for a sec. i *think* i managed to find and edit this value when i was making the Floral Shoppe theme, i'll just have to jog my memory on where it was and how i got it working. i'll reply again when i find it ^_^

prince_pokey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

4zPzjHn.png

6A0R1iJ.png

1uJDV06.png

i'm pretty sure i managed to change this in SelectFrame.bflyt. i went to Materials and changed W_SelectFrame_00LT and W_SelectFrame_01LT.

i looked into one of your dark themes for comparison (your purple one, i think?), and it shows the black colors for both materials unchanged. i'm pretty sure that's what's causing that little blue glow.
1655164269036.png

hope this helps ^^

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm pretty sure i managed to change this in SelectFrame.bflyt. i went to Materials and changed W_SelectFrame_00LT and W_SelectFrame_01LT.

i looked into one of your dark themes for comparison (your purple one, i think?), and it shows the black colors for both materials unchanged. i'm pretty sure that's what's causing that little blue glow.
View attachment 313752
hope this helps ^^
Cheers! Thanks for the help, I'll try messing with this in a bit.

prince_pokey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on that related note, i think i want to try and further decode the insides of Men.pack and Men2.pack, like you did in the spreadsheet. i think i'll try to work on that for the next couple of days.

edit: finished with Men.pack. let me know if i should post this before it's completely finished

Last edited by prince_pokey,

prince_pokey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for some reason, whenever i open into some *.bflyt files in Men2.pack (ex. AccountSettingNA.bflyt / AccountSelect.bflyt), Switch Toolbox just freezes up with the new window and crashes completely. i haven't really been sure what to do about this, and haven't been able to fix it on my own, so if anyone here knows anything i could try just let me know since this is kinda irritating. >_>

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for some reason, whenever i open into some *.bflyt files in Men2.pack (ex. AccountSettingNA.bflyt / AccountSelect.bflyt), Switch Toolbox just freezes up with the new window and crashes completely. i haven't really been sure what to do about this, and haven't been able to fix it on my own, so if anyone here knows anything i could try just let me know since this is kinda irritating. >_>
Yeah I honestly don't know what causes this, I experience the same thing on my main PC, but when I do the same on my laptop, it works without issue.

MK8 Track Studio behaves the same way for me, and I believe that is made by the same guy that made Switch Toolbox, so it's definitely something to do with my PC, but as to what I have no real idea.

prince_pokey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I honestly don't know what causes this, I experience the same thing on my main PC, but when I do the same on my laptop, it works without issue.
that is reeeeally weird... i'll try it on a VM a couple times and see if it makes any difference haha

edit: no help >_< it's gonna be really hard, i'm guessing

prince_pokey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in that case, i *might* need your help on some of the files.. the ones i'm most irritated about not being able to open are AccountSelect.bflyt, AccountSettingNA.bflyt, and AccountSettingLA.bflyt. although i haven't looked into it too far so maybe i'm only scratching the surface, i'll edit this if i find anything else today.

if you cant help then its all good still, it's just in case i really can't find any way to get this fixed on my end :wacko:
i figure i can just PM you the doc so far if so

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in that case, i *might* need your help on some of the files.. the ones i'm most irritated about not being able to open are AccountSelect.bflyt, AccountSettingNA.bflyt, and AccountSettingLA.bflyt. although i haven't looked into it too far so maybe i'm only scratching the surface, i'll edit this if i find anything else today.

if you cant help then its all good still, it's just in case i really can't find any way to get this fixed on my end :wacko:
i figure i can just PM you the doc so far if so
Well there is an alternative you could do for .bflyt files, I do this when I'm on my PC modding and I'm feeling a bit lazy or only have one or two small changes. You can use the Switch Layout Editor program to edit your .bflyts and then after you save them to a location, import them and replace the original version back in Switch Toolbox, a small inconvenience, and the UI isn't nearly as nice as Switch Toolbox, but it totally gets the job done all the same.

prince_pokey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there is an alternative you could do for .bflyt files, I do this when I'm on my PC modding and I'm feeling a bit lazy or only have one or two small changes. You can use the Switch Layout Editor program to edit your .bflyts and then after you save them to a location, import them and replace the original version back in Switch Toolbox, a small inconvenience, and the UI isn't nearly as nice as Switch Toolbox, but it totally gets the job done all the same.
oh i had no idea this program existed, thanks! -- i'm gonna try to mess with it later tonight, see if things work well ^_^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @MysticStarlight, Luckily, he survived.