SEGA resolves licensing issues with Judgment lead actor, series releases on Steam

Yesterday, SEGA stealth-released both games in the previously console-exclusive Judgment series on Steam.

As recently as July 2021, the future of the series was in question after issues arose with lead actor Takuya Kimura's talent agency. Kimura, a former boy band member and one of the biggest stars in Japan currently, is represented by Johnny's, a talent agency known for keeping a short leash on their talent and for being particularly guarded regarding the internet, stopping the release of press photos on the internet and stopping their stars from using social media. According to an anonymous insider speaking to Japanese publication Nikkan Taishu, as reported in the West by Kotaku, Kimura's talent agency had been blocking the release of the games on PC. Because of Sega's belief in releasing on PC, it was reported by Nikkan Taishu that Lost Judgment would be the last in the series as this disagreement could not be resolved.

It appears, however, that progress is being made, with the Judgment series' release on Steam yesterday. It's still unclear if Sega will pursue more games in the series with Kimura in the lead role, but this shows a little bit of progress.

In other news, Judgment developer Ryu Ga Gotoku held a livestream yesterday and announced three new games in their Yakuza - or Like a Dragon - series.

:arrow: Judgment on Steam
:arrow: Lost Judgment on Steam

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I do hope we get more Judgment, but seeing as they're launching new yakuza action games, I don't think it's likely...
I really liked the school setting of LJ.

GravityLoL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would really, really pay someone for confirmation if Kimura will stay in the series or not.
Not gonna lie - this series was build around Yagami and i fell in love in Judgment because of that character.
It's very well written and complex, not to mention i always had soft spot for detective's as main characters in games.
Really underrated trope. Let's hope Kimura will stay in.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not getting actors back for sequels because they blew up or got ahead is one thing. I am shocked they allow an actor (or their puppet masters) to have such control over things though, indeed them having residuals rather than one and done I would find shocking to some extent. Granted I don't know Japanese laws here and now someone is going to tell me they have crazy actor favouring ones.

"stopping their stars from using social media."
Personally that seems like a sensible plan if you are a talent agency. Head nonsense off at the pass -- very little good from having such people share their inane witterings and a lot of downside when they get on the wrong side of some mob.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok cool, but can Sega resolve the issue with Denuvo being tacked on to the Judgment games?

Also, I would think Sega will need to create a new main characters from scratch for future Judgment games at some point if they want to avoid any similar licensing issues in the future.

Reactions: nxwing

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is Sega's fault for not spelling these things out in his contract when the game was being developed. But as you can see, it is not just game devs that want to protect their intellectual property these days. Even talent agencies do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments