Homebrew SDHC Not Compatible in Homebrew? [Devs welcome!]

jonthedit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I've been around in the Wii scene for quite some time, but never took the initiative to start coding my own homebrew. JoostinOnline has been kind enough to set me up despite my laziness to search :P

So I've just looked at the Homebrew Browser, probably for the last time, and remembered how there is a "SDHC compatibility" support sticker that is labeled on some homebrew.

Throughout my entire "Wii life" I've always used my 2GB SD card, so I've never come across such issues.

Enough of that, on to my questions:

What makes a homebrew app SDHC compatible, and how can I make my future projects compatible with SDHC cards?

Why do some homebrew projects not support SDHC? Is this intended by the author? Or is this merely a problem with the Wii itself?

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
Old IOSes on the Wii do not have SDHC support, so in order for a homebrew app to support SDHC, it must either use a newer IOS or get direct access to the SDHC card and mount the filesystem itself. Some homebrew apps, especially older ones, do not have this implemented.

Reactions: jonthedit

jonthedit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Old IOSes on the Wii do not have SDHC support, so in order for a homebrew app to support SDHC, it must either use a newer IOS or get direct access to the SDHC card and mount the filesystem itself. Some homebrew apps, especially older ones, do not have this implemented.

That's exactly what I needed to know.
So for the future, how would I go about making my projects compatible? Do I just tell them to use newer IOS?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Unless your app reloads a different IOS, then it will use whatever the HBC uses. That is almost always IOS58, which supports SDHC. Your app will support this as well. The reason disc exploits don't work with SDHC cards is because the games all use older IOS's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think the factory making factories is unemployed lol +1