deduce

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble getting ScummVM to work on the R4. I currently trying to play Sam and Max and a copy of Monkey Island I found on an abandonware site, but can't get either one to work. I'm using ScummVM 0.9.1a beta2. I'll list out how I went through creating the rom, hopefully someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.

- From my Sam and Max data files I make copies of the MONSTER.SOU, SAMNMAX.000, and SAMNMAX.001 files since those are the files listed on the Game Data Files page at ScummVM. I put those into my ScummVM 0.9.1a beta2 folder.

- I then run the scummdata-a.bat to create the rom.

- I rename the file from ds.gba to .nds so that the R4 can recognize the file.

- Finally I run it through the DLDI patcher using the r4tf.dldi file.

What I'm left with is a game that loads to infinity and beyond. I feel like I'm overlooking something since users on the ScummVM forum seem to be having no problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As far as I know, you don't have to use the .bat method of creating a rom. You should be able to choose the ScummVM-a.nds file, patch it with the DLDI tool, and then just put your Sam & Max files in a folder on your SD, then load ScummVM and "Add Game". That should work fine, I know that's how it works on SC Slot-2, and I haven't tried it on my R4 yet, but with DLDI it's supposed to work the same way AFAIK. Hope that helps
smile.gif

deduce

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, I thought for some reason I had to pack the game data in using the 'scummdata-a.bat'. I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: IT WORKS!
bow.gif

The .bat file completely threw me off, I didn't even notice that there was already a scummvm-a.nds file in the folder. Thanks again.

mikejetd0rk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I have no clue about any of this stuff. I just got my DS last week and my M3 Simply over the weekend and I would like to know how to go about getting these things to work.

I have no understanding of any of part of the process so a step by step guide would be helpful. I tried through the scummvmds site but couldn't understand how to even start.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

deduce

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you learn the hard way.
Who needs the hard way when you can go the easy way.

Here are some interesting links to get to know ScummVM a bit better:
ScummVM DS Port Info
ScummVM 0.9.1a beta2 discussion thread
Required Game Data Files
ScummVM Documentation
ScummVM Downloads

NintendoDS DLDI Patching links:
GBAtemp's DLDI Tutorial
DLDI - Dynamically Linked Device Interface

First download the scummvm zip from this thread here: ScummVM 0.9.1a beta2 discussion thread; The zip in the first post should be for the current version 'ScummVM 0.9.1a beta2' which offers support for DLDI (needed for ScummVM on the R4).

In the zip you'll find 3 different .nds files (along with 3 ds.gba files which the R4 does not use). Each of these files support a different set of games. Here's a quick copy and paste from the ScummVM DS port site:

scummvm-a.nds
- Manic Mansion
- Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Loom
- Passport to Adventure
- The Secret of Monkey Island
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Day of the Tentacle
- Sam & Max Hit the Road (Major slowdown in a few scenes when MP3 audio is enabled)

scummvm-b.nds
- Beneath a Steel Sky
- Flight of the Amazon Queen

scummvm-c.nds
- Gobliiins
- Simon the Sorcerer 1 (Zoomed view does not follow the speaking character)
- Simon the Sorcerer 2 (Zoomed view does not follow the speaking character)
- The Legend of Kyrandia (Zoomed view does not follow the speaking character)

Pick whichever .nds file that corresponds to the games you wish to play. I'll be using Sam and Max as an example so I'll be needing the scummvm-a.nds file. Before you can get the .nds file to work you'll need to patch it with DLDI.

Going to the DLDI site here: DLDI - Dynamically Linked Device Interface you'll need to download 2 files that are needed to patch the .nds file to work with the R4. You need the DLDI file (which for the R4 is the 'r4tf.dldi' file) and the patcher (I use the Win32 GUI because it's easier than patching with cmd.exe). Copy the r4tf.dldi and the .nds file to the dlditool folder. Opening 'dldtool32' select the 'r4tf.dldi' for the DLDI file. Next select .nds file for the Binaries (scummvm-a.nds as an example). After that's set, click patch. It should say "Patched Successfully". You can now copy the newly patched .nds file (which should still have it's original file name) to your R4 microSD.

You'll now need to copy the required game files to the R4 microSD. You can find which game files are required here: Required Game Data Files
For Sam and Max it shows that MONSTER.SOU, SAMNMAX.000, and SAMNMAX.001 are required from the CD Version. For me, I created a folder on my R4 microSD called SAMNMAX and copied the files there.

As a general warning, please don't ask where to get the game data files. I don't want anyone getting banned for wanting to try this stuff out. If you want to give this software a try, the ScummVM site has freeware versions of Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen thanks to Revolution Software located at their download page here: ScummVM Downloads

When everything is copied to the R4 microSD, give it a try. Select the .nds on your R4. After the R4 creates a save file, the game should load. Click 'Add Game . . .' and then choose whichever folder you saved the game files to. Enjoy.

EDIT: Didn't notice GBAtemp's DLDI Tutorial went up today. Link added. Good thread to check out if you're still confused about DLDI.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, atleast it wasnt that bad
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but i can't let a mediocre pizza bring me down, just around this time last month i made that cheesecake
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What does pizza and sex have in common? When its good, its good. But when its bad, its still pretty good.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know burnt pizza can be pretty bad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna download sonic generations to my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    How do you put games on there? Does it have like a game store on the ps3?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black market store
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, download a pkg file, put it in a usb or a sd card, put the usb or sd card to ps3, turn on ps3hen, go to install game, install the game
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yea that's same with me, was just curious. Coolio
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao my keyboard decided to randomly die
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its prob your new router interfering w it