Gaming Scribblenauts over hyped?

Do you think Scribblenauts was over hyped?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• A little bit.

• Total voters

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chazam1337 said:
Over hyped it may be, but you can have manbearpig and keyboard cat and not to mention anon with you. How win is that?

Uh, so it has a couple of memes in there, and incidentally, longcat, tacgnol, dramatic prairie dog, philosoraptor, and for some reason the Neogaf logo.
unsure.gif

Fact of the matter is the game is way, way over-hyped for something that plays pretty average, it's Drawn to Life all over again. If you ask me the game actually felt very lifeless because of how everything was animated, and the controls were horrible. Can be a fun game but people must have pretty low standards if they're happy to jump on their robosaur cthulu edison with the necronomicon in hand wearing sunglasses, killing an army of rabbis and gods.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't realize It was over hyped until I played Mario And Luigi Bowser's Inside Story and that game was so kick ass,it put Scribblenauts under. Mario and Luigi was so insane fun from beginning to end. Unlike Scribblenauts,I have more fun on the homepage then in game =/ Maby its just me.

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
omgpwn666 said:
I didn't realize It was over hyped until I played Mario And Luigi Bowser's Inside Story and that game was so kick ass,it put Scribblenauts under. Mario and Luigi was so insane fun from beginning to end. Unlike Scribblenauts,I have more fun on the homepage then in game =/ Maby its just me.
I agree Mario and Luigi is insane!

Bleedingelite

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a lot of the complaints I see about scribblenauts, I just don't think the world is really ready for it. I think that somebody with a great imagination and unbridled sense of creativity will undoubtedly love the game. But I think that we gamers, for the most part, would rather just have some laughs and some button mashing and some pokemans thrown at us. Maybe with some spiky haired anime characters and nonsensical japanimation storylines. There's nothing really to do about that. But I can guarantee that nobody out there has exhausted the possibilities of this game yet, as unwieldy and flawed as it is.

If they make a sequel to this game, and take a few more years to tighten it up, and maybe even find a better system to release it on, I think we'll have one of the most incredible games ever made on our hands. But even if that were the case, a majority of the people are still going to write in "rope" and "helicopter" for every puzzle they can, or become disenchanted because "ramen noodles" look the same as "spaghetti."

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
It was overhyped... But I lost the hhype before it was released so I wasn't expecting a GOTY.

The levels actually are repititive in some sorts... You will always find some common items to use in some levels, and thats not because of creativity. Some words aren't waht you want, and don't DO what you want. And the control sucks so bad, the touchscreen controls make maxwell's movements overshot and when I was trying to move a rope and accidentally hit the screen, it registered a movement for maxwell adn he dropped into lava.

Its still a pretty nice game overall nonetheless. The words thing is very fun, especially if you are bored. But no GOTY.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything that gets a hype thread is overhyped. No game will meet every single expectation. Even the best games ever made won't be as massive as people expect them to be. Scribblenauts is a damn fine game and has had me playing quite a bit, but people thought it could be the game of the decade.

I think it's fun and one of the best releases for the DS so far, though. I wasn't really a hyper for it, since I don't actually believe in hyping games (because I'm not really hyped for any games myself), but it did deserve a portion of the hype it got.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bleedingelite said:
From a lot of the complaints I see about scribblenauts, I just don't think the world is really ready for it. I think that somebody with a great imagination and unbridled sense of creativity will undoubtedly love the game. But I think that we gamers, for the most part, would rather just have some laughs and some button mashing and some pokemans thrown at us. Maybe with some spiky haired anime characters and nonsensical japanimation storylines. There's nothing really to do about that. But I can guarantee that nobody out there has exhausted the possibilities of this game yet, as unwieldy and flawed as it is.

If they make a sequel to this game, and take a few more years to tighten it up, and maybe even find a better system to release it on, I think we'll have one of the most incredible games ever made on our hands. But even if that were the case, a majority of the people are still going to write in "rope" and "helicopter" for every puzzle they can, or become disenchanted because "ramen noodles" look the same as "spaghetti."

I agree to an extent. If they had taken it just a little further.. made the levels a tad more complex and well, I dont know I feel like this game was on the verge of being something awesome and revolutionary, and just fell a little short.

I still enjoyed the game though.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bleedingelite said:

First off, this isn't atomic warfare or contact with alien life. It's fucking Scribblenauts, a video game. Saying the world is not ready for it is probably the most stupid sounding attempt at "philosophy" that I've heard in a while. Even then, there's been hundreds of games bigger than this. It's an innovative concept, but so was Super Smash Bros., or Super Mario Bros., or Goldeneye 007. And no one says the world wasn't ready for them.

I do agree with the whole "spikey anime characters" thing though, good job. It seems game makers think they can slip on gameplay with enough flashy cutscenes or enough characters from some beyond-lame anime. Only people who have no sense of gaming (*cough* weaboos *cough*) will pass up gameplay over a bunch of stupid characters.

If they were to make a sequel, all they need is to get some trademark agreements slipped in and add D-Pad controls for Maxwell. There, instant gold.

Also, do not a lot of things that "look" the same are the same. You really think the developers were going to make a seperate image for two things that look near identical, even more so with the cartoony paper style of the game. They were nice enough to throw in piano cat and Rickroll, are you really complaining about ramen noodles vs. spaghetti? Well, not the quoted person, but the people the aforementioned person mentioned.

And rope and helicopter don't work that well, personally. Chain is a lot better tha rope, personally, and 90% of the puzzles I've done wouldn't work with those 2.

Bleedingelite

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Bleedingelite said:

First off, this isn't atomic warfare or contact with alien life. It's fucking Scribblenauts, a video game. Saying the world is not ready for it is probably the most stupid sounding attempt at "philosophy" that I've heard in a while. Even then, there's been hundreds of games bigger than this. It's an innovative concept, but so was Super Smash Bros., or Super Mario Bros., or Goldeneye 007. And no one says the world wasn't ready for them.

I do agree with the whole "spikey anime characters" thing though, good job. It seems game makers think they can slip on gameplay with enough flashy cutscenes or enough characters from some beyond-lame anime. Only people who have no sense of gaming (*cough* weaboos *cough*) will pass up gameplay over a bunch of stupid characters.

If they were to make a sequel, all they need is to get some trademark agreements slipped in and add D-Pad controls for Maxwell. There, instant gold.

Also, do not a lot of things that "look" the same are the same. You really think the developers were going to make a seperate image for two things that look near identical, even more so with the cartoony paper style of the game. They were nice enough to throw in piano cat and Rickroll, are you really complaining about ramen noodles vs. spaghetti? Well, not the quoted person, but the people the aforementioned person mentioned.

And rope and helicopter don't work that well, personally. Chain is a lot better tha rope, personally, and 90% of the puzzles I've done wouldn't work with those 2.

It's not an attempt at philosophy. It's me stating my opinion. Had you asked why I said that, I would have pointed out to you that the answer was in that same post, and then I would have wondered what the fuck is wrong with you that you angrily attack somebody instead of making a simple fucking point a to point b connection that takes the contemplative abilities of a fucking 5 year old who's hooked on phonics.

Secondly, putting quotation marks around the word philosophy isn't impressive, it's redundant and makes you look like you're trying to come off as an "intellectual."

I'm glad you agree with me about the spikey haired anime thing. I can rest easy tonight knowing that the abrasive douchebag from the nintendo ds videogame forum agrees with me.

Lastly, you're a total dick.

You can quote my asshole, how's that? "FFFftthhhppptt."

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yup, it was hyped waaaaaaaay too much. The games unique and all but not too fun, it's the type of game you play when you need a break from your main games.

Fosya117

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
No, it wasn't overhyped.
Do u have to use your imagination? YES
Thousands of words? YES
Whatever you think of appears in the game? YES
200 levels? YES
Fun? Crazy? YES

So what? Yup, controls suck and sometimes TOO MUCH, but I can deal with that.
Scribblenauts is unique. It deserves 9/10...

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
never looked at the hype thread(or at least i don think i did, after the first 10 pages, stopped myself), only got it just to see what was the hype about in the first place.

So to me, its not that overhyped, since i wasn't affected enuf i guess.

But i guess a nice improvement would be more relax winning condition like the world 1, unite the girl with the cat.

So i drop a dog on the cat and chase it off.

There u go, i united her with her cat, so why isn't it a winning condition? there wasn't a make sure cat is happy as well condition...

in the end, i just stuck to something simple, cat food...

As for d-pad, well, i guess i keep to the stylus for now, since the camera is controlled by the d-pad already, so unless u were to remap them to A,B,X,Y ... then and only then, sure d-pad movement would be nice.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
syko5150 said:
i find messing around on the title screen to be more enjoyable then the actual levels...

I agree completely. Sometimes its just fun to see what you can get to appear.

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, i didn't expect for too much out of this game from the start.
everything was just as i anticipated. because of that, i personally really enjoyed the game.
and yes, it was over hyped but i still consider it as one of the best games for the DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi