Hacking Emulation ROM Hack Sav file too small?? gba backup help!

TaiAno

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OKay so i recently bought a fire red cartridge, i cant afford to buy real ones so i got a reprint from etsy, i no longer own a gameshark so im trying to use cheats on it elsewhere (mainly the cheat to get all starters but i figured items and money would be nice while im at it) i did this previously with my real copy of emerald so im not sure what im doing wrong. i only mention buying the etsy version because im not sure if an illegitimate copy of fire red would effect things.

I take the game, stick it in my ds lite, load up an r4 with gba backup tool, dump the save file then throw that into an emulator to add cheats and stuff and save and put it back into the real cartridge. at least that's what's supposed to happen but things are not working firt the exported save file wouldnt work with the fire red rom on my computer, it just didnt register. i figured it must be a different rom than the one in the cartridge so i dumped the rom in the cartridge and it loaded up with the save file and everything i tried editing that on the computer and dumping the battery file and shoving it in but now im getting an error message saying SPECIFIED SAV FILE IS A FILE THAT IS SMALLER THAN THE SAVE AREA OF ROm. and gba doesnt just let one overwrite the rom thats in the cartridge which im sure is a rather good thing. but now im not sure where i messed up cause i dont remember having all these complications when i did this with emerald.

ive been using visual boy advance on the computer to do the editing and they spit out the battery file at 64kb but the gba backup tool when backing up the sav files makes them 128 kb ive tried running the edited sav file through things that pad them up to 128 kb but the gba backup thing seems to recognize them as not actually being the right file as they refuse to accept those files when i try to restore the sav to those files. ive tried going into vba settings with options-emulator-save type-flash 128k but that still leaves the exported sav's at 64 kb so im not sure what else to try at this point

this was the only way i discovered of using cheats on cartridges without the old game shark or action replays that go for bonkers ammounts of moneys now adays. i figured after all this time with advancements we have cheap reprinted game cartridges, how is there not a cheap alternative to game sharks after all this time? if anyone knows of any let me know.

i mean at this point i could just edit emerald again, get the starters on there and trade them to this fire red, but im stubborn and want to know why this isnt working. ive also been asked 'why not just play on an emulator' but i really love playing from the old legit systems.

Last edited by TaiAno,

G25900

Trophies
XP
Country
This is an issue with those reprints, they use cheap 64kb save chips when it should have 128kb. The second half of the save is where it keeps Hall of Fame data and other stuff, which usually means when you beat the Elite 4 it tries to save the data and can't, states the save is corrupted and wipes it. So the cart might be useless past a certain point anyway. If you're extremely lucky the fire red rom on the cart has some kind of modifications to prevent this but I wouldn't count on it.

You could pad out the size by opening it in Notepad++ and adding a bunch of 0's to the end until it's 128kb, this should allow the save to be opened in an emulator and stuff, putting it back on the cart might be a waste of time though considering the save chip is too small.

Have you considered getting a flashcart instead? Can still play on original hardware but won't have any issues like this, Omega DE isn't a bad choice for the price point, maybe save up for one of them instead of wasting money on those bootleg carts.

TaiAno

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an issue with those reprints, they use cheap 64kb save chips when it should have 128kb. The second half of the save is where it keeps Hall of Fame data and other stuff, which usually means when you beat the Elite 4 it tries to save the data and can't, states the save is corrupted and wipes it. So the cart might be useless past a certain point anyway. If you're extremely lucky the fire red rom on the cart has some kind of modifications to prevent this but I wouldn't count on it.

You could pad out the size by opening it in Notepad++ and adding a bunch of 0's to the end until it's 128kb, this should allow the save to be opened in an emulator and stuff, putting it back on the cart might be a waste of time though considering the save chip is too small.

Have you considered getting a flashcart instead? Can still play on original hardware but won't have any issues like this, Omega DE isn't a bad choice for the price point, maybe save up for one of them instead of wasting money on those bootleg carts.
i had no idea that would be an issue, this is great info. i will have to look into getting one of those carts :D

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tl,Dr if you have issues with save file size, it sometimes comes down to padding or some sort of watermark that shows how the sav was made.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup