Question Safer to say "Happy Holidays"

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was curious if it was safer to say happy holidays than stuff like "Merry Christmas" Yes I know is christmas, is a holiday, people celebrate it, but not everyone does, for various personal reasons like cultural customs, religion and other purposes, so is still okay to say that to people especially in general public, or just keep it "Happy Holidays" Less specific? Of course the goal here is to not offend anyone.:unsure:

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I generally say "Happy Holidays" anyway out of habit, but if someone gets legitimately upset at me for wishing them a "Merry Christmas", they weren't going to have a happy holiday anyway.
What if someone gets legitimately upset at you for wishing them "Happy Holidays"?

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Up until now I thought that the political correctness was something of the US... but now over here in The Netherlands supermarkets banished the word christmas and on schools the children have a 'light ceremony' and a 'winter diner' together ..... all for the reason that the word christmas is offending for other religions.

Well.....f* them all ..... HAPPY CHRISTMAS everybody :-)

Reactions: BullyWiiPlaza

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mass greetings usually aren't.

what are you talking about here, greetings you say in masses, or greetings you say to a mass of people?

it doesn't matter, since you will utter merry christmas to dozens of people one on one. and it does not make sense to imply a to whom it may concern in such situations.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Up until now I thought that the political correctness was something of the US... but now over here in The Netherlands supermarkets banished the word christmas and on schools the children have a 'light ceremony' and a 'winter diner' together ..... all for the reason that the word christmas is offending for other religions.

Well.....f* them all ..... HAPPY CHRISTMAS everybody :-)

going by the number of false claimings that mentions of christmas have been banned here or there all over the globe, i wanna call so much bullshit.

and even if they chose to do something like that, its not because option A- christmas oriented celebrations are offensive, but because option B: something season-oriented is equally inclusive for everyone. which does make sense if you happen to have mixed classes like that

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg (hālig "holy" + dæg "day").[1] The word originally referred only to special religious days.

Either term is a religious connotation. They essentially mean the same thing. In America we use the preferred term vacation, rather than holiday, so the use of the word is more strictly referred to for designated days of the year

Reactions: cearp and guisadop

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Merry Christmas! That's today! The 25th of December. Always has been. So, Merry fucking Christmas!
Technically various Russian and similar churches celebrate it on the 7th of January, and apparently so do several Coptic sects. The 24th is popular in a variety of countries for the whole presents and whatnot bit. My little search just now says the 6th of January is used in Armenia http://www.whychristmas.com/customs/whenchristmasiscelebrated.shtml .
http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/global/christmas_day_world.php

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Technically various Russian and similar churches celebrate it on the 7th of January, and apparently so do several Coptic sects. The 24th is popular in a variety of countries for the whole presents and whatnot bit. My little search just now says the 6th of January is used in Armenia http://www.whychristmas.com/customs/whenchristmasiscelebrated.shtml .

Sunny biscuits! Stop it!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Then you run away. Far far away from that someone.

Aggressively assist their venture to the nearest safe space. Throw hot cocoa in their face, and THEN run.

Reactions: Chary

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Technically the 7th of january still is the 25th of december, but in a different calendar.

Merry Christmas everyone!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't say anything unless someone says something first. Mostly because I don't care to even attempt to appease anyone. Personally, I don't celebrate Christmas because I am not a Christian. If someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, they get the same reply back. If someone says, "Happy Hanukkah," they will get the same reply back.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
what are you talking about here, greetings you say in masses, or greetings you say to a mass of people?
it doesn't matter, since you will utter merry christmas to dozens of people one on one. and it does not make sense to imply a to whom it may concern in such situations

I thought Sonic Angel Knight was talking about the Temp season greeting, because if he wasn't, then what is this thread doing in the Site Suggestions board? :angry:

If I'm talking one on one I usually know if and what they're celebrating, and if I don't, why would I want to wish them a happy anything? I just wait for them to say something first and reply in kind :ph34r:

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
This is a stupid thread. It really makes me angry when I see that people are going against their own traditions and culture to appease others.

Nobody should feel concerned about whether their words will offend anybody. If your own culture/traditions warrant telling others to have a merry christmas, then you do it.

If somebody gets offended, that's their problem and they should either deal with it, or move away to a location where they can't hear you giving seasons greetings.

Or you could try my own special way of dealing with people who get offended: "if you don't like it, then fuck off!" Works everytime :)

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
What about the people who have to work these holidays? It's not really a holiday then right? Well I guess technically it would still be the holidays but you know what I mean right. You can say Merry Christmas to someone who doesn't celebrate it and if the person doesn't like it then say fuck you then :ha:.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say whatever. Someone wish me a merry Christmas, I'll wish them one right back...but I do get pissed when Christian's get pissed at other people for saying happy holidays or "The war on Christmas." Or "Taking Christ out of Christmas."

First of Jesus would look at the. And go "And why aren't you out helping the poor if you have time to be offended." And that most christians don't even know what's in their own damned book.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
In French we have "Bonnes fêtes", which could probably be translated as "Happy celebrations". It's useful to wish both a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to people in just two words, and since the singular "Bonne fête" would be pronounced the same way, it works for people who would only celebrate the New Year too. So the only ones who could get upset are the ones who really don't celebrate anything but if they are that kind of person who never gets fun, you probably already know that you can't wish them Happy Anything :P

Reactions: Veho

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this isn't Tumblr, so don't worry about anyone beeing offended by saying "Merry Christmas!". Those easily-triggered folks need to die out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0