Ryujinx Switch emulator adds Vulkan renderer to main build after a year of testing

kdsa;da.png

A year after testing the waters by releasing a beta build of their Nintendo Switch emulator that used the graphics API Vulkan, the Ryujinx development team has finally merged it into the main release. Utilizing Vulkan, in the case of most emulators, allows for far better performance, and that extends to Ryujinx as well. This major change will make compiling shaders noticeably faster than with OpenGL, though when the latest release featuring Vulkan does release, it will cause your current built shader cache to stop existing.

First of all, you need to know that any shader caches you've cultivated over the years will sadly cease to exist once you update beyond version 1.1.200 and boot a game. While this does mean that you will start from scratch in every title, they should be much quicker and less painful to rebuild thanks to SPIR-V's compile speed! Should you choose to use Vulkan.

Other than this... not much. AMD and Intel users will want to immediately set Vulkan as their backend and never look back while Nvidia users have the luxury of choice. While in most cases Vulkan will likely be the better pick due to its lower shader stutter, there may be some games that render/perform better in one or the other, so the world truly is your oyster. Shaders built for one backend will rebuild into the complimentary set for the other when you switch, so nothing is lost by trying both. A good strategy may be to undergo the initial stutter with Vulkan and then switch to OpenGL if it performs a little better. Your choice.

The Ryujinx team provided a direct comparison between OpenGL and Vulkan, showcasing a large collection of graphical bugs being fixed using the latter, in cases like Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Splatoon 2, and the recently released Live a Live.

graph-rx-570.png

Well this is quite emotional isn't it? It feels like a huge milestone, because it sure as hell is one. The fight against shader stutter is being won, the path forward for AMD and Intel GPU owners is starting to clear and our GPU developers in gdkchan and riperiperi can maybe take a well-deserved rest. Don't be shy to congratulate the dev team for this achievement and thank them for their tireless work!

:arrow: Source

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Eh, Yuzu is my default emulator because usually it just seem to run better + asynchronous caching
If Ryujinx had asynchronous caching, there wouldn't be any question (this + more ergonomic settings I would say, you can see the joysticks moving in yuzu but not ryujinx, makes it easier to setup through parsec for example)
I use Yuzu more but I want to prefer Ryujinx, sounds weird but yeah

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For playing games, yeah personally I think they're a bit behind. However for modding stuff they're far ahead of them just by supporting Skyline (although they don't support skyline-web which leaves me a bit salty.)
This. Also Ryujinx can be used with Switch-LAN-Play to play with actual real Switches. Show me yuzu doing this.
If you want to play with a Steam Deck and a real Switch, Ryujinx is your only option currently.

Reactions: AlineP

Enlapse

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah. Async cache. I forgot about that. It's a good plus, but nt really a decisive one in my opinion. I have probably used more time Ryujinx than Yuzu, and I would really use Yuzu over Ryujinx because of the filters. It's hard not to like them.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wow, they're way behind Yuzu, lol.
Yuzu aims for speed at the cost of everything else, Ryujinx aims for accuracy even if it means the games run "worse" as a result (although I often have better results with Ryujinx anyway so whatever).

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I downloaded the latest version of Ryujinx w/ the Vulkan backend implementation and one game that left me w/ a bad experience playing it in the past was Super Mario Odyssey using this emulator and after giving it a spin, I have a whole renewed outlook and my previous negative sentiments have changed a/b Ryujinx. It actually ran w/o much judder or frame skipping. Good job devs.

LQVuAmd.jpg

0u4jtou.jpg

U4HkYRz.jpg

Reactions: sley and Aru

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro